Thread: [HIGH PRIORITY] Space cars

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation [HIGH PRIORITY] Space cars

Game Version: 0.5.1
    Simple Description: Cars bugging any flying off into space/ a few kilometres.
    Detailed Description: I was testing around with a mobile base in survival. My car ended up flying 2 times, 1 time it went into space and instantly killed me when I exited, the other one went flying for a while and then proceeded to work as normal.
    Unfortunately, I can't provide my Log/DXdiag because this was 2-3 days ago, so it's probably not up to date, however, I can provide the video files.
    Reproducibility: Occasionally
    How to Reproduce: Build a car and it might happen (Maybe the video files help)
    Any additional information: /
    Log file: / (see Detailed Description)
    DXdiag: / (see Detailed Description)

(The videos are currently uploading (my internet is very slow), but I'm going to include them here once that's done.

Last edited by MATOO; 25-04-2017 at 07:14 PM.
    "Trust me, I'm an expert!" - Those were his last words.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello MATOO,

That's the one major physics problem we're still experiencing. It's a matter of getting the individual variables right and hopefully a general physics update in Unity.

We realize the importance of getting this right in order to allow you to build these amazing mobile fortresses, just needed to Pavel to focus on building and Petr on survival design at this point. Will be revisiting soon after 25th May.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Kickstarter Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    This physics issue seems to be well documented, so instead of opening a new thread for it, I will just add some info here. It can happen to non-vehicles, as well, as you can see in the video below.

Game Version: 0.5.1
    Simple Description: FTL Ceiling Tiles when attempting to chain hover jacks.
    Detailed Description: See 'How to Reproduce'
    Reproducibility: Every time
    How to Reproduce: youtu.be/xvR4LlYI4Sg

I raised a ceiling tile with a hover jack attached to a second ceiling tile which was itself being raised by a hover jack. It made the universe very angry, I think.

Preorder Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iceshard87 View Post
    This physics issue seems to be well documented, so instead of opening a new thread for it, I will just add some info here. It can happen to non-vehicles, as well, as you can see in the video below.
    If we would already have damage system + multiplayer, I would try to make a hover jack cannon.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    as you can see in the video below. ... It made the universe very angry, I think.
    Or game is also angry because solar beacons are on "loose objects"? ( I mean if block is not held in place by contact whith ground )
    One time I added solar beacon to my vehicle and as soon I put that beacon on it and move 1cm, it flew to space but build without solar beacon work just fine.
    But hovering hovered object is glitchy, it happend to me too.
    The more you know, the crazier you look.

My screenshots from PN.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GaborB View Post
    If we would already have damage system + multiplayer, I would try to make a hover jack cannon.
    Well, you could "fire" with it only upwards. The hover jack is pushing things only up, even is the jack itself is in sideways:

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    Or game is also angry because solar beacons are on "loose objects"? ( I mean if block is not held in place by contact whith ground )
    One time I added solar beacon to my vehicle and as soon I put that beacon on it and move 1cm, it flew to space but build without solar beacon work just fine.
    I wanna say that it's not the solar beacon, but I'm not sure anymore. I wanted to reproduce one of these launching into space bugs what many of us are having, so I built a 22 wheeler, it also has a solar beacon on the front, but it works just fine. I mean, there are occasional glitches when is stops like its stuck on something, or if a wheel gets a hit on the side from an object that sometimes makes the whole vehicle "jump" quite high. But the "best" I was able to achieve so far is flipping it upside down. No space travel so far :( Somehow I can't seem to reproduce these bugs. Although I haven't tried yet to use multiple hover jacks to lift each other.

Update: Made a screenshot. This is what I'm fooling around with:

It seems the higher I set the graphic details in options, the easier is to make it glitch. Also it seems that the main reason for my glitches is that I can drive around with it faster than the terrain is loaded, thus sometimes objects are spawning under the wheels.

But still, I managed to launch it to space only once by adding some blocks without lifting it with a jack, then using it again. After modifying it, it flew right after is pressed 'W'.
    Last edited by fura; 29-04-2017 at 02:47 PM.
    I made screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/D1FM7 \o/

Kickstarter Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not the beacons. I had been experimenting with using a hover jack to build a flying base, and only added the beacons and started recording after the third time my would-be structure achieved escape velocity.

Another thing I noticed, though, if you watch my video, is that the first ceiling panel is vibrating slightly as soon as it starts hovering. This is interesting to me because my 6-wheeler doesn't do that, I hover it all the time. I would guess that the spaz-like side-to-side movement was caued by both the original and the second ceiling panel vibrating slightly, causing amplitude of the second panal's vibrations to increase until, well... That.

I am going to continue my experiments and try to find a platform that doesn't vibrate like that (I'll rebuild my vehicle if I have to) and try to hover something off of that. And record it, for science!

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not the beacons. I had been experimenting with using a hover jack to build a flying base, and only added the beacons and started recording after the third time my would-be structure achieved escape velocity.

Another thing I noticed, though, if you watch my video, is that the first ceiling panel is vibrating slightly as soon as it starts hovering. This is interesting to me because my 6-wheeler doesn't do that, I hover it all the time. I would guess that the spaz-like side-to-side movement was caued by both the original and the second ceiling panel vibrating slightly, causing amplitude of the second panal's vibrations to increase until, well... That.

I am going to continue my experiments and try to find a platform that doesn't vibrate like that (I'll rebuild my vehicle if I have to) and try to hover something off of that. And record it, for science!
    Yeah, now I did some testing and I think it too that solar beacons are not the reason, but weight is somehow, at least whith vehicles.

Also, that block vibration is very bad, but I figured out when I add at least one suspension and wheel to vehicle frame, it stops.

My screenshots from PN.

Kickstarter Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, now I did some testing and I think it too that solar beacons are not the reason, but weight is somehow, at least whith vehicles.

Also, that block vibration is very bad, but I figured out when I add at least one suspension and wheel to vehicle frame, it stops.
    I figured out the same, but I haven't had a chance to edit and upload the video yet. Suspensions don't stop the vibrations, but they do reduce them. I managed to chain 4 hover jacks in a row by using plate->suspension->plate with jack before the 4th one became too jittery to use. It didn't blast off in to space, though, it just became violent enough that any attempt to land on it would eject you a couple dozen meters. I will test it some more today and upload my findings.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I figured out the same, but I haven't had a chance to edit and upload the video yet.
    I made a video too, but it got banned because of songs I had in background, well it was first time so by mystakes you learn

My screenshots from PN.

Kickstarter Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all,

Please find a test video showing three separate hover jack chain tests.

First tower: No suspension. The bottom-most hovering platform always has noticeable shaking, but remains stable. I.e., it remains in the same relative position. Any platforms hovering over the bottom most floating platform become unstable, shaking increasingly violently until they become stuck in another object or fly beyond the reach of its hover jack, and disappear into the distance.

Second tower: Single vertical suspension per platform. First hovering platform has barely perceptible motion. Each platform beyond the first has increased shaking motion. 5th floating platform is too violent to continue to use (placing objects on it is nearly impossible), but the motion is stable, and it does not break from its parent platform or collide with other objects.

Third tower: Triple suspension on each tower, one vertical and two horizontal. Aberrant motion is completely eliminated in all platforms. 7 platforms were used in this test, and the top-most platform showed no motion what-so-ever. Due to an issue with the base hover jack (this is an unrelated bug I have not managed to reliably reproduce, I will create a bug report for it once I have more information) the first platform is not hovering. Attempts to restart it had unintended effects, as the base hover jack began applying to the second platform rather than the first, which was already being lifted by the first platform. This caused extremely violent motion in the tower, particularly at the very top. You can see this motion is completely eliminated by the dampening action of the suspensions once the base hover jack is disabled, which also shows why the shaking motion is not present in this tower in general.

https://youtu.be/-IsviYlWhw0