Thread: Can you level ground enough to drive over?

Kickstarter Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you level ground enough to drive over?

I've got very limited experience, so I'm hoping that somebody who knows the game better can give me some advice on how to do better.

The digging tool, in my experience, creates extremely uneven terrain. Ground pocked by uneven cutouts, and with lots of sharp curves and odd edges left over.

Even vehicles custom-made for agility and ground-covering are unable to negotiate even mildly uneven terrain.

I'm running a truck with six wheels, each with two batteries powering them separately. Suspension is set to mid-range (and, by the way, resets to the lowest setting every time I save and load, so I have to go back in and manually adjust every. single. time. I come back to the game)

I got in a slight divot. Not falling into a cave, just, y'know, a depression in the ground that I could walk out of easily.

But the truck couldn't get out. So I figured "What the heck, I'll cut a shallower slope that it can negotiate."

Except, of course, I don't know how to make the mining tool cut a shallower slope, only an impassable crater-field of torn ground. I've tried to put in ramps, but the transition from ground to ramp, no matter how deeply I set the ramp, is too abrupt for the truck to negotiate. One of its (six) tires inevitably gets trapped somewhere in the uneven terrain.

I have now spent two hours trying to dig a truck out of what started as a mild dip. I am down to the water table. I have applied hundreds of frames and plates to the task of trying to create artificial terrain that the suspension and motors can somehow handle. I have returned kilometers to base, in order to get the tech to hover-jack the truck up, just in the hope that I could fit some blocks under the wheels (I couldn't ... can't build in water, apparently).

There has got to be a better way than disassembling and reassembling my truck every time I hit a dip in the terrain, which is the only solution I am now confident I could attempt. What am I missing?

Thanks,
    Tony

Kickstarter Early Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have had similar problems, though thankfully only with small vehicles that I could easily dissasemble.
    The only advice I can give you is to try to create some kind of level track for the vehicle to pick up speed. I noticed that as long as my vehicle was moving, it could get up relatively sharp inclines. But if it got stopped along the way, it then would not move an inch further. I had to back up down the incline and start again.

Given the difficulty in getting around compared to a tier III+ jetpack, I wonder what the point is anyways.

Kickstarter Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, the effectiveness of a mining expedition is tremendously increased when you can compact a five (or whatever) stacks of raw resources into a single stack of finished supplies, because you brought along a 3D printer. And that's then leveraged by being able to carry along some compact containers.

I really want to make vehicles work out. I really, really do. It just seems like the path is littered with so many needless and infuriating obstacles that I must be doing something vitally wrong.

Preorder Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would be nice to be able to put hover jacks on the bottom of the vehicles to help out with these issues. But I think currently the hover jack makes the vehicle completely static, and I'm not even sure if it works with terrain underneath (I didn't really test it).

Kickstarter Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I did end up placing multiple hover-jacks, lifting it far enough, and getting in under, digging out ground, and replacing with blocks. It was looking promising, in a general sort of way, but apparently I went too far away from the hoverjacks when I looped back to base because I'd run through my 50 food-pill lunch reserve. When I came back, I was startled to see my truck hovering not one meter above the surface, but ten. I figured better to get the bad news sooner than later, so I shut off one of the hoverjacks ... at which point the suspension went into glitchy oscillation, and moments later the truck disappeared on what looked like a shallow angle toward orbit. I could, after the fact, track its departure trajectory because it left a swath of shattered trees until (I presume) it got enough altitude to stop hitting things.

So that's the end of my truck story. I'm still interested to hear if anyone has better techniques for dealing with what seems like it must be a really common vehicle situation. So far my best answer is "Don't drive into slight depressions in the terrain, they are instant death traps for vehicles," and that's hard to accept.

Preorder Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it sounds that there is a lot to improve. But did you, by any chance, try to use the hover jacks on the back of the vehicle to exert forward facing force (e.g. by placing a wall block behind the vehicle)? Does that sort of thing work generally?

Kickstarter Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did not attempt to use the hoverjacks as JATO engines, no.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    We do need some kind of flattening tool, right now it is way too rough. We also need a tool to able to fill holes. Then the vehicles themselves need to be addressed. They have enough speed, but totally lack power to climb or take obstacles. When you set it to low speed, it should give the wheel more traction so it goes slow, but can climb. High speed gives less traction and is good for flat terrain.

Right now the vehicles get stuck so often that I gave up on them. I have upgraded my jetpack to the max and use it to travel. Way faster and I don't get stuck all the time.

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Commander Caractacus Pott's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I highly agree vehicles in this game lack Torque.I think prehaps lower speed should have higher Torque, like a gearbox. I think vehicles should be superior to jetpacks becuse otherwise why build them? as that is kind of the point of the game. it's hard to be nomadic if you can't take everything you need with you. having several bases you move between should be called planet semi-nomadic. however this is only a suggestion/opinion, plus I haven't messed around with vehicles much.

Kickstarter Early Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    you should be able to build a mobile base, something big and slow but no problem with crushing small shrubs and rocks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    i build a 10 wheeled vehicle with a very compressed mobile base on it. i was surprised to find out that ive traction problems and power isnt what ive hoped for.
    I put all wheels in high speed mode and i still cant get it to move. (it gets stuck at any hill and even on level ground its not more than 5kph).

a way to fix it (above tha obvious physics and power fixes) would be:
    - add electricity units to the game
    - the more electricity i pipe into a motor the more torque i get (e.g. 2 batteries vs 1 battery)

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    They are going to redo the terrain generation to get better caves, less swiss cheese, and land you can drive on.

All part of early access

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a post requesting a flatten tool for road-building etc. The idea is this planes out the land rather than jagged cutting, similar to the land sculpting tools in the Sims 2 editor.