Thread: [LOW] Latency Issues

Kickstarter Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

[LOW] Latency Issues

I'm having issues with the framerate when I max out the settings. My computer isn't even a year old!

Here are the specs to my computer:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
    CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $294.99)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $24.88)
    Thermal Compound: ARCTIC MX4 4g Thermal Paste (Purchased For $7.83)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Purchased For $150.88)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (Purchased For $72.89)
    Storage: OCZ TRION 150 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $44.88)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $47.49)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card (Purchased For $279.99)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $59.99)
    Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $109.99)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive (Purchased For $16.89)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (Purchased For $41.50)
    Monitor: AOC G2460PF 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor (Purchased For $199.99)
    Keyboard: Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard (Purchased For $69.99)
    Mouse: Cooler Master Xornet II Wired Optical Mouse (Purchased For $29.99)
    Speakers: Creative Labs Inspire T10 10W 2ch Speakers (Purchased For $43.99)
    Other: SteelSeries QcK Gaming Mouse Pad (Black) (Purchased For $7.70)
    Total: $1503.86
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-21 15:18 EDT-0400

So what's causing all the lag and slowdown? Is my computer dated already? Or are these bugs needed to be worked out?

Post Thanks / Like
    There was only one round of optimization so far, there is more to come. Performance will improve throughout the updates as the underperforming parts are identified.
    I made screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/D1FM7 \o/

Kickstarter Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fura View Post
    There was only one round of optimization so far, there is more to come. Performance will improve throughout the updates as the underperforming parts are identified.
    w00t! That's wonderful to hear! Glad it's not my video card that's fouled up!

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I read the title as Low latency issues, and thought "Why is someone complaining about it performing well?"
    I haven't finished my morning coffee yet...

But for lag issues, I'm pretty much ignoring them at the moment. Optimization is generally the last thing that gets done. Obviously, if it's really bad, the Devs will have to address it earlier, so that testers can test, but otherwise you ignore it because when you add more stuff, you might need to optimize again.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I posted this elsewhere the other day.

I just did a set of tests on all of the options (apart from water reflection - I wasn't near any water) and these are the frame rate impacts on my machine (GTX 970, i5, 1920x1080).
    Ones with negligible impact not listed.
    FPS values are approximate based on standing at the edge of the pod crater, recording the FPS, running a circuit around it and checking the FPS value again. Of course movement affects the fps, but it's too hard to gauge the effect properly to get a consistent value.

Model quality from med to high: -6 fps
    Terrain texture quality from low to high: -7 fps
    Camera effects (combined): -8 fps (motion blur -3 fps, the others were hard to individually determine, so I lumped them together).
    Shadow quality from low to ultra: -8 fps
    Anistropic texturing enabled: -2 fps
    Vsynch on: -17 fps

Disregarding Vsynch which is default off, setting everything to off or the minimum value I get 49 fps. When I set everything to max (vsynch off) I get about 19 fps. The settings listed are the biggest contributors to the fps drop. When I set them to the minimum and leave others I don't see contributing in any significant way to performance (e.g. light quality, texture quality) I sit about 49 fps.

EDIT: just tested Water reflections: -20 fps

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMartian View Post
    I posted this elsewhere the other day.

I just did a set of tests on all of the options (apart from water reflection - I wasn't near any water) and these are the frame rate impacts on my machine (GTX 970, i5, 1920x1080).
    Ones with negligible impact not listed.
    FPS values are approximate based on standing at the edge of the pod crater, recording the FPS, running a circuit around it and checking the FPS value again. Of course movement affects the fps, but it's too hard to gauge the effect properly to get a consistent value.

Model quality from med to high: -6 fps
    Terrain texture quality from low to high: -7 fps
    Camera effects (combined): -8 fps (motion blur -3 fps, the others were hard to individually determine, so I lumped them together).
    Shadow quality from low to ultra: -8 fps
    Anistropic texturing enabled: -2 fps
    Vsynch on: -17 fps

Disregarding Vsynch which is default off, setting everything to off or the minimum value I get 49 fps. When I set everything to max (vsynch off) I get about 19 fps. The settings listed are the biggest contributors to the fps drop. When I set them to the minimum and leave others I don't see contributing in any significant way to performance (e.g. light quality, texture quality) I sit about 49 fps.

EDIT: just tested Water reflections: -20 fps
    Very nicely tested!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nicely indeed. Thank you for the data, TheMartian.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke