Thread: Before this game enters EA...

Kickstarter Early Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

Before this game enters EA...

So after starting the game, I already noticed a lot of minor things that will probably be very off-putting to players who aren't familiar with this game's systems and trying to jump right in. So I though I might make a topic about little things that should be done to make the game more accesible. Fell free to contribute or tear me apart, whatever might be apropriate ;).

1. We definetly need to be told that the escape pod functions as a bed/stasis chamber. There is no way you build a stasis chamber before you run out of stamina at least once, and that's unnecessarily frustrating
    2. Mining. There is no information about getting the most important resources. At all. How is a new player supposed to know that some rocks have resources and others don't? And even if you figure this out by trial and error, the amount of resources you get is tiny. You may try to dig underground, but theres a good chance you won't see any ores on the first few tries, at which point a new player might well think it'll take ages to build even a basic base.
    3. Unlocks. Please add information about how unlocks work and how to unlock specific blocks. It's absurd I have to try building different wall and ceiling blocks trying to figure out how to build a stasis chamber.
    4. Beacons should start with the receiver on, which is to say they should immediately broadcast their position on the compass.
    5. There needs to be better visual feedback of me taking damage. There also needs to be some kind of visual feedback of animals becoming aggressive. As it is there is no way to tell you're being attacked by some docile-looking animal standing next to you, until you notice your health dropping. My health also often drops for no visible reason. I assume it's fall damage but I don't exactly know.
    6. The building system is still nowhere near intuitive, especially with different parts unlocking at different times. Building a very basic shack with walls and a ceiling is not only way too time consuming, you also have to figure out how corners work and wiggle every part of it into place. The snapping helps of course, but it's often hard to tell from the dark outline where the connecting joints will be. This is minor and you can figure it out quickly, but it's still a barrier.

Most critical would IMHO be the first three, since these really make getting into the game much harder.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some good points here, though personally I think the unlocking is kind of cool. Build this and get that. But knowing what unlocks what is handy, but takes away from the surprising element. But there sure can be a lot of improvement in the building side of things and I'm sure they will continue to improve that. It's already way better then it was before, but there's room for improvement.

Mining. There is no information about getting the most important resources. At all. How is a new player supposed to know that some rocks have resources and others don't? And even if you figure this out by trial and error, the amount of resources you get is tiny. You may try to dig underground, but theres a good chance you won't see any ores on the first few tries, at which point a new player might well think it'll take ages to build even a basic base.
    It's under the ground, my friend and there is lot's of it! I'm now copying and pasting a reply I just gave someone else...... I'm assuming you're still in the grass/forest area. Start looking around a little for open spaces on ground that have a bit the color of iron, where there's no grass on it. If you find that spot, start digging and you have lot's or resources needed. Sometimes you find it in caves or holes in the ground as well. In the grass/forest area there is a lot of iron/carbon/silicon. When you move towards the pole where there is less forest you will find aluminium/cobalt/silver on ground that looks a bit silver like. When you move to snow areas, so even further, you will find titanium/gold/uranium on gold looking places and also a little of that rare X-something element. Makes sure that if you look for these things that you do not move towards the desert, but towards the snow. The colder the climate, the more rare resources you can find. It's all there, you just need to know what you're looking for..... under the ground!

No one told me this and I'm not really a survival player, but it totally makes sense. I see grass..... lot's of it and suddenly some patch that looks tike iron. That is very logic, I of course start digging there. I do find it fun to discover these things, that's part of the challenge. Once you figure it out, there are so many resources in the game.

Beacons should start with the receiver on, which is to say they should immediately broadcast their position on the compass.
    The big beacons do this. They do as soon as you connect them to a power source they start broadcasting their position and it shows up on your compass.

Kickstarter Early Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin (ShadowFlightBA) View Post
    Some good points here, though personally I think the unlocking is kind of cool. Build this and get that. But knowing what unlocks what is handy, but takes away from the surprising element. But there sure can be a lot of improvement in the building side of things and I'm sure they will continue to improve that. It's already way better then it was before, but there's room for improvement.
    Unlocking is fine, keeps the complexity low when you start out. The problem is once you get a number of non-essential blocks unlocked, you have to figure out what you need to build to get to the next functional blocks. Like the stasis chamber, which apparently needs a ceiling block.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin (ShadowFlightBA) View Post
    It's under the ground, my friend and there is lot's of it! I'm now copying and pasting a reply I just gave someone else...... I'm assuming you're still in the grass/forest area. Start looking around a little for open spaces on ground that have a bit the color of iron, where there's no grass on it. If you find that spot, start digging and you have lot's or resources needed. Sometimes you find it in caves or holes in the ground as well. In the grass/forest area there is a lot of iron/carbon/silicon. When you move towards the pole where there is less forest you will find aluminium/cobalt/silver on ground that looks a bit silver like. When you move to snow areas, so even further, you will find titanium/gold/uranium on gold looking places and also a little of that rare X-something element. Makes sure that if you look for these things that you do not move towards the desert, but towards the snow. The colder the climate, the more rare resources you can find. It's all there, you just need to know what you're looking for..... under the ground!

No one told me this and I'm not really a survival player, but it totally makes sense. I see grass..... lot's of it and suddenly some patch that looks tike iron. That is very logic, I of course start digging there. I do find it fun to discover these things, that's part of the challenge. Once you figure it out, there are so many resources in the game.
    Sure, you don't need to tell the player everything, but some basic infos are, I think, necessary. Like the fact that starting resources can be mined from special rocks, and other ore deposits can be found underground, and that the deposits can be spotted from the surface. Where I started, there was no obvious landmark for ore within a couple hundred meters from the escape pod, and I don't think players will regularily venture much farther without having basic facilities established.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know, when I first got into survival I was like: "What's this? What's that? Oh look, a rock! I'm gonna mine that." After I used up all the starting stuff, I filled my inventory with fruits, ores and stuff in like 2 minutes.
    I mean its a survival game... And you have a tool whit which you can dig and mine. I think it's quite obvious what to do and what to look for. Despite that there are stuff I'm struggling to find in a volume I'd need it, but the basics are quite self explanatory. Not to mention it is more exciting to discover things on my own then being told what to do.
    But maybe that's just me. Or the amount of time spent in Minecraft, whispering me that the stuff I need is under the ground
    I made screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/D1FM7 \o/

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's rather easy to bumble your way through the first 30 minutes to work out what to do.
    I didn't even read the help before I worked out where to get food from (although I did cut down some fruit trees).
    My first world was a mess after a while, because I mined the ground, the trees and everything, so I started a new one, and problem solved.

Kickstarter Early Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Merinsan View Post
    I think it's rather easy to bumble your way through the first 30 minutes to work out what to do.
    I didn't even read the help before I worked out where to get food from (although I did cut down some fruit trees).
    My first world was a mess after a while, because I mined the ground, the trees and everything, so I started a new one, and problem solved.
    I get the point, but the problem is that whether or not mineral veins show up near you is random. I had none within 500 meters of my escape pod and initial base location. That's a problem because that means a player may not encounter any identifiable source of ore within the first few hours, at least if they go with the traditional survival flow and try to set up some basic facilities before venturing farther out.
    This is not about whether or not it's possible to figure out the system eventually or by searching online. This is about new players starting the game and being frustrated within a few hours due to the apparent grind to acquire basic resources. The difference finding a vein early vs. starting with no veins at all is huge, and without any information on what to expect players might well assume the game is supposed to be that grindy.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cronos988 View Post
    I get the point, but the problem is that whether or not mineral veins show up near you is random. I had none within 500 meters of my escape pod and initial base location. That's a problem because that means a player may not encounter any identifiable source of ore within the first few hours, at least if they go with the traditional survival flow and try to set up some basic facilities before venturing farther out.
    This is not about whether or not it's possible to figure out the system eventually or by searching online. This is about new players starting the game and being frustrated within a few hours due to the apparent grind to acquire basic resources. The difference finding a vein early vs. starting with no veins at all is huge, and without any information on what to expect players might well assume the game is supposed to be that grindy.
    Same for me. Sometimes you see ore immediately from the crash site. But last time I dug hundreds of meters of tunnel without finding much of anything. This is part of the balancing that needs to be done.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cronos988 View Post
    Of course they show up random, that's the whole idea of using a seed. Mind you, we're not playing the full game, we're testing things. A problem with random seeds is that things are generated randomly, thus there is a chance that you end up in a world that has no resources nearby. They simply cannot control every seed. The information needed is coming, there will be tutorials in the early access version, so at least new players will know what to do and what too look for. Since there will be tutorials, I would suggest they do this on a more controlled world or pick a seed that works well. They player can then stay on this world or decide to make it's own.... with the risk of being stranded on a world with nothing nearby.

Same for me. Sometimes you see ore immediately from the crash site. But last time I dug hundreds of meters of tunnel without finding much of anything. This is part of the balancing that needs to be done.
    It's not minecraft where you just start digging randomly, this is more realistic. As in our real world, you need to search for the perfect spot to dig for ore. Once you find those veins, my goodness, there's plenty of ore to build massive bases. That's the cool thing about this game actually, it challenges you to start thinking like a surviver, which is so cool.