Thread: What is Planet Nomads trying to be exactly?

Kickstarter Early Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

What is Planet Nomads trying to be exactly?

As per the title, I am wondering just how Planet Nomads wants to capture it's audience, what features it has or is going to have that will get players to play it over other games.

Some background to where I am coming from: I own both Space Engineers and Empyrion. I also own Subnautica, Factorio and many other sandbox/building games. I backed this game because it seemed to offer a nice mixture of sandbox, gameplay and graphics. I have not really followed the development until I got my key, only briefly looking at the most recent discussions and blog posts before I jumped in.

My first few hours in the game have not exactly been overwhelming, but I can accept a lot of the clunkiness in an early access game. What I have to wonder though is how this game is supposed to capture an audience given the competition. I don't want this to sound like I rant, so I won't list all the issues or comparisons, but given the fact that this game will enter EA in a month, and will presumably have to convince players that it's not just worth it's money, but also worth more than the competition, I have to wonder how it will do that.

What, in your opinion, differentiates Planet Nomads, either in it's current form of in the potential it has over other, similar games?

Kickstarter Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Among other issues: The build system of constructing light, easily tweaked, frames in order to sketch out your vision, then coming back and dumping in full resources when you've got everything just right, sets the groundwork for a construction game that encourages a more natural process of building in 3-D space. I'm enough of a UI geek to look at the care that went into that (as well as the expansive possibilities that can be built upon such a foundation) and extrapolate from there to the kind of grand visions the game can come to be known for.

So I suspect that one of the selling points is going to be, as with Minecraft, that the game is an artistic outlet for many of its users, which in turn generates a community where creativity is fostered and valued.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't played many other similar games at all. Done a bit of ARK, Starbound, No Man's Sky, Minecraft and Subnautica. Minecraft and Subnautica I don't on my own, at least not when it comes to the advanced stuff. I need the help of my son or the internet to advance in those games. Starbound is okay, I get most of it and NMS is quite casual. ARK is so over the top complicated and grinding that I don't play it anymore without cheating.

Planet Nomads, I totally get it. I'm able to survive and build a huge base in survival. I managed to totally upgrade all my stuff to the max. I understand what the machines do. I totally get where to find resources and what to do with them.

It totally surprises me that some of the more seasoned survival game players do not understand this game. To me it makes sense, it's logic. Sure, it took a little to get used to, but once I did it's awesome fun. That's what differentiates it for me, it's absolute fun. The environments are beatiful, the survival is do-able. There's a decent balance between grind and fun and the progress in the game is done well. Sure it has all kinds of issues still and shortcomings, but the core is for me better then all the others I've played.

To answer your question..... What is Planet Nomads trying to be exactly? It is trying to be a game in it's own right, not following the beaten (and by now boring) path most others takes. It's not trying to be a clone, it's trying to find it's own way and we should totally applaude and support that.

Kickstarter Early Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyLB View Post
    Among other issues: The build system of constructing light, easily tweaked, frames in order to sketch out your vision, then coming back and dumping in full resources when you've got everything just right, sets the groundwork for a construction game that encourages a more natural process of building in 3-D space. I'm enough of a UI geek to look at the care that went into that (as well as the expansive possibilities that can be built upon such a foundation) and extrapolate from there to the kind of grand visions the game can come to be known for.

So I suspect that one of the selling points is going to be, as with Minecraft, that the game is an artistic outlet for many of its users, which in turn generates a community where creativity is fostered and valued.
    Well, the building system is unique-ish (Subnautica has a very similar system, so does Space Engineers, but the latter is block based), but is that enough to carry the game? I can see it working if the physics engine is very robust, because I think there's still a niche for a creative physics game with actual gameplay. Haven't played enough to know, but then we'd certainly need some active physics blocks like pistons.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin (ShadowFlightBA) View Post
    To answer your question..... What is Planet Nomads trying to be exactly? It is trying to be a game in it's own right, not following the beaten (and by now boring) path most others takes. It's not trying to be a clone, it's trying to find it's own way and we should totally applaude and support that.
    But that's kind of my point. To me, it looks like it is pretty similar to other games out there, following the beaten path if you will. And it's honestly a bit late to the party. I made this topic to either figure out what the unique features are or start a discussion about how this game can be differentiated from it's direct competition.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of the reasons I backed this game is because I was under the impression there would be some sort of overall objective, kind of like The Forest.

Currently, it plays very similar to Empyrion - you have blocks and need food. It feels like space engineers in terms of the levels of detail with the graphics. Empyrion feels like a Minecraft version of Space Engineers to me.

At the moment it's still very early days, so there is really nothing to differentiate it. I expect it to become more like Space Engineers based on the goals set out in the Kickstarter. I'm sure though that it wont be a Space Engineers clone though.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I backed it, in part, because it reminded me a bit of Planet Explorers, another indie build-your-base and vehicles kind of game. PE also has a story and allows building with the voxel materials as well as the cubes. I'm also curious which paths the devs will take, because it is a very crowded survival field and I think a successful differentiation will help the game be financially successful (which usually means we get more toys within game).

Great job on the latest patch!!