Thread: A suggestion for survival mode

Kickstarter Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

A suggestion for survival mode

Dear devs, yesterday i tried the 0.5.1 for the first time...First of all, game is great, apart from fps drop.
    I think the death in survival mode, as it is, does not make sense, since I can easily return to retrieve my things. would be more "survival" if it were introduced a sort of malus when you die, for example the loss of part of the equipment or resources in inventory

P.S. for all the complainers: the dev ... I understand and I accept them in full: the game is beautiful, stable, but the fps drop (which is a solvable problem) would unleash keyboard lions and could create a serious image damage for an easy problem ... with a person you can reason ... but with the entire community...
    Last edited by Shpalman; 19-04-2017 at 10:47 AM.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I replied to this message at Steam where you posted it and explaining I do not agree. If you travel very far and die, you get enough punishment, but the time it takes to find your stuff back again. I know some games punish you for dying, but I never liked that at all. It takes away the fun in playing survival for me. Dying for taking a risk and returning to your starting point is punishment enough for me.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Acutally, I'm on his side. We can use all the help we can get to keep encouraging that people re-develop things.

I would go as far as to say that equipments should deteriorate over time, but be repairable. But with a catch. Even with repairs, over each time it's repaird, the quality of the armaments should diminish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Developous View Post
    Acutally, I'm on his side. We can use all the help we can get to keep encouraging that people re-develop things.

I would go as far as to say that equipments should deteriorate over time, but be repairable. But with a catch. Even with repairs, over each time it's repaird, the quality of the armaments should diminish.
    No, thanks, I hate that and I really hope they never bring that into the game. That would suck out all the fun for me in it. Since you can build massive bases in this game (which I'm doing), huge vehicles and at some point in time planes, spacestations and spaceships and so on, imagine having to fix those. No, thanks, bad suggestion, very bad one in my opinion.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not the bases and vehicles. I'm talking of the personal supplies. Those huge projects should definitely be respected.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep. Still a bad idea.

Means you can never actually repair it.
    Might be realistic, but it's not fun.

And on second thoughts, it's not realistic.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Azirahael, still a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Developous View Post
    Not the bases and vehicles. I'm talking of the personal supplies. Those huge projects should definitely be respected.
    Some of us play the game as explorers. This would be bad news for us. Now I can create a nice stockpile of things and explore the world. Creating a stockpile takes time and you want me to spent even more time on it because it goes bad? No, thanks, that doesn't sound like fun at all. I would love to have some fun as well and not having to spent all my time on gathering and then have to gather again because my stuff doesn't work anymore. Doesn't sound like fun to me at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin (ShadowFlightBA) View Post
    I agree with Azirahael, still a bad idea.
    Some of us play the game as explorers. This would be bad news for us. Now I can create a nice stockpile of things and explore the world. Creating a stockpile takes time and you want me to spent even more time on it because it goes bad? No, thanks, that doesn't sound like fun at all. I would love to have some fun as well and not having to spent all my time on gathering and then have to gather again because my stuff doesn't work anymore. Doesn't sound like fun to me at all.
    Of course it would be bad news for you, that's the point. To make you hate death. That makes you more careful when you explore.
    I understand the way you want to play though, but then, why any death at all ?

Another way to implement this would be by simply respawning at a random position on the planet far from the previous one, no other change needed. That way, you keep everything, but you need to travel to get back (and therefore survive the trip).

Post Thanks / Like
    Decay is an archaic mechanic made only for players to worry more about replacing equipment on some sort of grind wheel than actually making any real progress. It was popular in MMOs as a way to slow players progress down and to keep them from eating the game's story or quest content too quickly.

I recently got back into a 10 year old game where decay is on pretty much everything. Weapons, armor, housing costs, vehicle damage and it's shit.

I spend more time out farming money to pay the maintenance and its gotten to the point where I don't even bother equipping armor any more. Why go through all that trouble and effort getting something nice when it just crumbles to nothing?

No thanks. This is 2017, not 2007 so how about we use mechanics that are actually fun and not just some giant hinderance?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Koward View Post
    Of course it would be bad news for you, that's the point. To make you hate death. That makes you more careful when you explore.
    I understand the way you want to play though, but then, why any death at all ?

Another way to implement this would be by simply respawning at a random position on the planet far from the previous one, no other change needed. That way, you keep everything, but you need to travel to get back (and therefore survive the trip).
    You really insist on making the game a grind and way less fun, don't you? I don't want to be careful, I want to have fun and your suggestions would simply make this game way less fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin (ShadowFlightBA) View Post
    You really insist on making the game a grind and way less fun, don't you? I don't want to be careful, I want to have fun and your suggestions would simply make this game way less fun.
    I understand perfectly you would not find worrying about death fun, I get the concept. It's a valid point of view.
    But I'm not sure it fits "survival" at all. In a perfect world it would be more fitting with a game mode where you just move around, get ressources, craft and build stuff without survival things like death. I'm not sure that's the intent of PN devs for the survival mode.