Thread: [MEDIUM PRIORITY] 3D printer loses power

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

[MEDIUM PRIORITY] 3D printer loses power

Game Version: 0.5.0, 0.5.1
    Simple Description: After loading a game, the 3D printer lost its power, even though it was previously powered.
    Detailed Description: Previously the 3D printer was powered, by the Uranium reactor, and working fine. When I loaded last time, the printer had the no power symbol in the interface. I disconnected it from the reactor and connected it to a bioreactor (which was unused), and it didn't work - still unpowered. I reconnected to the uranium reactor, same problem.
    The only way to fix it was to dismantle the printer and rebuild it.
    After exiting and restarting, the save file became unloadable. I'm unsure if this is related.
    Reproducibility: Occasionally
    How to Reproduce: Create a bioreactor, connect it to an armory, FAD and 3D printer.
    Make sure you are in build mode, exit to menu, then continue.
    Check each device to see if the power is lost.
    If not, exit again and continue.
    Last edited by Merinsan; 20-04-2017 at 12:07 AM. Reason: More information about reproducing

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    This problem still exists in 0.5.1, and in fact is not specific to the 3d printer.
    I've seen it affect the FAD and the armory.

I have 1 bioreactor hooked up to a FAD, 3d printer and armory. They all work fine (thanks for the boost to power). When I log out and log in again, one of these items becomes unpowered and has to be dismantled. If I log out and back in again, the item can change, ie the unpowered item becomes powered again, and another is unpowered.

I think being in build mode when exiting makes it more likely to happen, but I've seen it happen when not in build mode too. It seems to happen about half the time.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bumping this in 0.8.7.0 because everytime my 4x Air Blade flier loads, the power connection breaks between the battery switchboard and the switchboard powering the Air Blades and has to be reset. If I save in mid air the flier drops out of the sky, when I reset the connection it rises back up to the height it was at before it fell ... lol

If I have one switchboard then multiple batteries disconnect instead, cannot win!

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    We know about the launch on power reconnect issue and will fix it soon.

About power connection breakage: Could you please tell us more about it? How often does it happen, does always disconnect the same line? You see that blocks are disconnected or they are displayed as connected and just not work? I'll delegate this to Pavel, he maybe ask you for a save to debug it thoroughly.

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi boolybooly,

I think, that this should be fixed in 0.8.7.1. If this is still happening, send us save please.

Pavel

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Random switchboard disconnects are not fixed in 0.8.8, I still have that problem.
    100% linux gaming

Post Thanks / Like
    can confirm have this also in 0.8.8.1. Don't see any pattern behind why a certian board is disconnected.
    *Edit: Reproduce did not work after some more testing

its not reaible way for reproducing, but if I you play for longer time and do an save and than load the last added connection is missing.
    Not sure how longy you have to play maybe after first autosave or so.
    Last edited by Xaver; 19-02-2018 at 10:50 PM. Reason: reproduceing

Post Thanks / Like
    bump
    Random switchboard disconnects are not fixed in 0.8.9.1, I still have that problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Before save:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1319996188
    After load the solar panel and the FAD machine are not connected anymore
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1319996361

- - - Updated - - -

I found the problem.
    To explain I will assume that the game has a buffer where the save is prepared to be written.
    We get a short lag every 15 minutes because autosave and I presume it would be greater if the data would be gathered directly from the world.
    On the other hand, I do not understand why we have a lag at all if the data is already prepared as it should write somehow in background in a different thread or process.

Back to the problem:
    It happens if you have a vehicle Switchboard which is connected to the base Switchboard and you leave the base.

When the connection between the two Switchboards is broken, both of them observe this event and both of them try to remove the connection from this "shadow buffer" which is used to save the game.
    The first one is successful.
    The second one cannot find the connection anymore but it still removes the last one in the list.
    (In my case the last one was the solar panel because I rebuild it toward sunset the night before.)

However when I returned to the base, I saw all connections ok and the vehicle was charging.
    This is because the game works on it's own simulation and the damage was done in that shadow buffer for the save. I saved far from the base and I noticed in the save file that the solar panel was disconnected. I have played further without loading the game.

Back at base I checked that the charge level on the batteries is indeed incremented, I made a screenshot, saved and loaded again.

I tested to see what happens if I leave and return several times to the base. I found the limit and I went with the vehicle just a bit outside the limit and back, several times.
    When I returned to the base, only one connection was broken.
    Why in my original screenshot I see two broken connections?
    The FAD was the next one to be removed after the solar panel according to the id.
    I made no saves/loads between the first trip outside but the first trip was a bit longer as I was really playing the game, not just testing.

It is interesting that this bug was reported in April 2017, way before the switchboards and auto-reconnect were added.
    Apparently the auto-reconnect works only between switchboards and not between a switchboard on vehicle and a solar panel on ground.
    Last edited by Menzagitat; 11-03-2018 at 06:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow good Job! Looking forward to the patch

so only 2 major problems left, vehicles falling from roof and autominer dropping % to 100% dirt.

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Menzagitat for detail report. It was really helpful.
    Bug is fixed and will be released in next update.

Pavel
    Last edited by PazziCZ; 05-03-2018 at 12:18 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to help Pavel!
    I have not tested but I am quite sure the connection between the FAD and switchboard was broken when I rebuilt the solar-panel before my tests.
    Both solar panel and switchboard tried to remove the broken connection and the switchboard removed the FAD.
    I am sure the bug is in the same place and was fixed but just in case I mention this test case too
    Also people should understand that is not only between two switchboards.