Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To the Devs: Push your EA date

Kickstarter Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really think this is the best solution, for starters i bought the game to late for early adopter/kickstarter so i wasn't able to participate in that stage of the game.
    But i got the game, knowing what to expect, and always enjoyed in giving feedback for EA games, and i was really looking forward to jump in on the EA steam release.

Almost fainted when i read that it was postponed, but sighed of releave those pre-orders and backers got closed beta access like this.
    It allways annoyed me with many EA titles, that people dont know what to expect, like mentioned above, after having worked myself closely with devs of a very populair steam EA game as QA tester, and their community manager, that people think often, to often even not catching bugs and glitches is lack of skill/devotion of the teams in hand.
    They really have a simplified view on the whole process, and cannot see how it can work on one system, and not the next.. and such issues are at times hard to find.
    Even when its not even part of your own coding, but external issues that plague it.. its gets even more of a headache..

Hence i really loathe the Early Acces adoptation on how its used currently, and like someone allready mentioned, Development Stage, for games as P:N currently resides in, would maybe a more fitting term, making at least for the masses a bit more of a clear difference.
    But this is something thats imho not something a developer should be spending his time on, but should be something steam should be doing..

Still Devs themselfs could make a warning beside the EA label, a distinct reverense that its development, and still regardless, the number of warnings placed on it... there would still be people complaining in a ridiculous way, that has nothing to do with any constructivity,

I like to think in the end, the biggest number of potentional buyers aren't the one that have the loudest voice on forums, but sensible ones that feel like they can thrust a developer to deliver and deliver a finished product. One that dares to hold back because it lacks the standard of Quality to be representative for the product, i think is held in higher regard as one that just spews out one buggy update after the other, and the heat only get worse if the issues are persistent and keep turning back up.

Often those issues can be retraced to the core core, on what the game is build upon, and are very hard to solve, more as often needs in some cases a complete rebuild.
    So i think a solid foundation, is one of the biggest must haves, and if that requires an delay... i think in the end its worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was disappointed that the game runs REALLY terrible on my Fury X at 4k with LOW settings, in comparison Empyrion ran quite respectable at 4k with high settings when that appeared in EA! and that game actually looks better I'm sorry to say.

I would suggest devs move to Unity5.6 and capitalize on VulkanAPI performance improvements wherever they can (this game feels like a old unity engine build atm!)

EDIT: I managed to get it to run OK now, still has those micostutters happening, however I have noticed other people have it worse then me after watching some videos.
    Last edited by Riddick2017; 26-04-2017 at 05:18 PM.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddick2017 View Post
    I was disappointed that the game runs REALLY terrible on my Fury X at 4k with LOW settings, in comparison Empyrion ran quite respectable at 4k with high settings when that appeared in EA! and that game actually looks better I'm sorry to say.

I would suggest devs move to Unity5.6 and capitalize on VulkanAPI performance improvements wherever they can (this game feels like a old unity engine build atm!)
    I don't want to say much, but did you compare the minimum requirements of the games? Empyrion has way lower requirements then Planet Nomads, Empyrion can run on a patato, Planet Nomads can't. Now I do agree your Fury X should be able to run this on 4k, but that may take time, we're still in an early stage and running this game at 4k is the least of their problems. I do believe this already uses Unity5.6, but not using Vulcan, since it's DirectX bases, not OpenGL/Vulcan. Vulcan is also pretty new and for a small team it may be harder to implement, lot's of things available for DX11, since it has been out there for a while now.

Post Thanks / Like
    If their using Unity5.6 then Vulkan is NOT hard to implement, its right there as a option. Also while the minimal specs may be different you need to compare the games on appearance, and I don't see anything special that Nomads is doing that warrants this kind of performance hit.

Also I don't think Vulkan will fix the problem, its just a bonus if they move to that option in unity5.6 asap and optimize from there. I know the game is Alpha, but I'm just putting concern out there after watching Space Engineers go through Alpha stage in a similar condition, its really off putting to new players when they can't run at native resolution on decent hardware.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Empyrion is in EA too, but it's MUCH further along.

You need to understand how primitive this is.
    It is very nearly a 'first playable.'

And it's improved noticeably with each patch.

One of the major issues i've seen with game development is optimising for each set of hardware.
    Often, the most powerful and advanced hardware gets the worst performance, because games and engines are optimised for common, middle-of-the-road hardware first.

Give it time. It's improving with every step

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Azirahael View Post
    Empyrion is in EA too, but it's MUCH further along.

You need to understand how primitive this is.
    It is very nearly a 'first playable.'

And it's improved noticeably with each patch.

One of the major issues i've seen with game development is optimising for each set of hardware.
    Often, the most powerful and advanced hardware gets the worst performance, because games and engines are optimised for common, middle-of-the-road hardware first.

Give it time. It's improving with every step
    True and that is why Vulcan would only add more issues on even more hardware. I do have one of these more common pc's and the game runs well. You pretty much see this pattern with many early access games. They run well on the middle machines, but terrible on high end machines and the newest range of graphic cards. Let's hope they can improve before releasing the game, for a successful launch that is needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its worth mentioning that if the developers focus on AMD optimizations they will get a good overall performance for other hardware as well. Its well known that if you optimize just for NVIDIA you will be in the pooper in no time because NVIDIA does not conform to rendering/api standards! (esp, under Linux!!!)

Also Empyrion worked quite well at 4k when it was first conceived, but I would agree it was quite primitive graphically at that stage so that's was to be expected...

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddick2017 View Post
    Its worth mentioning that if the developers focus on AMD optimizations they will get a good overall performance for other hardware as well. Its well known that if you optimize just for NVIDIA you will be in the pooper in no time because NVIDIA does not conform to rendering/api standards! (esp, under Linux!!!)

Also Empyrion worked quite well at 4k when it was first conceived, but I would agree it was quite primitive graphically at that stage so that's was to be expected...
    [Citation Needed]

Post Thanks / Like
    Citation for what? Nvidia's non conformance under OpenGL? its pretty common knowledge, it is starting to become less of a issue as developers wake up to that fact and have started testing with AMD hardware also. Phoronix has had a few heated debates about the issue in their forum in the past (to name 1 place non-directly).

In saying that (I understand under Windows its using DX11 atm), I managed to get a decent 30-50fps out of Planet Nomads after some messing about with the graphics options and restarting a few times. Its still pretty annoying that terrain can't seem to render past 500m (estimated) view distance, its quite immersion breaking when its a constant fog of war scenario with these types of Open World games, Space Engineers and Empyrion for the most part don't have that issue atm in their development.

I'm sorry if I'm being critical of some aspects of PN and not perpetually positive, its just the way I am. Lets just keep in mind that PN is coming LATE to the whole open world survival in space/planet show, its only natural for people to make direct comparisons!

Post Thanks / Like
    Presently I am thinking it does need work. I'm not sure if there's some way of optimising settings for users with crap-for-gaming computers (ah, me) as my current performance level is pretty bad. I have posted suggestions on here though I am aware that having the idea and making it a reality is quite a different thing. Though currently the jetpack being a drop-injury death trap is an issue (fly up, run out of suit energy, land too hard, internal bleeding).