Thread: Resources in 0.5.0?

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

Resources in 0.5.0?

The new patch is a great improvement, but now I seem to have hard time finding resources. Food and water I have plenty, but I lack common resources like carbon, silicon and iron. Before, you could start digging at a patch of flowers, but that doesn't yield anything for me, aside from an occasional aluminium, cobalt or silver. I started 3 games by now and all the same result, no common resources. I found a cave, but it had nothing at all.

In the third world I started on top of a mountain and close by I noticed an empty patch, which I had not seen before. that yielded the common resources. Wandered around for a while, but that's the only one I found.

Pretty much a huge lack of iron, silicon and carbon for me. Perhaps an error in the distribution of it or am I extremely unlucky?

Preorder Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also didn't find any underground ore veins, even though I tried digging extensively (I found plenty of small round surface rocks though, but they are easy to use up). To be honest, I like that we can't just open the ground and find ores everywhere. But at the same time it underlines the need for some kind of ore detection.

Kickstarter Music Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems ironic since last time I had more iron and silicon than I knew what to do with; now I can't find any except the small round rocks. Haven't found any caves yet either.

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello guys,

this is very interesting. We actually increased the rate of spawn of resources in the world - in term of rocks and ground veins. In which biome are you currently in? We'll look into it.

Thanks, Petr

Preorder Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZVous View Post
    Hello guys,

this is very interesting. We actually increased the rate of spawn of resources in the world - in term of rocks and ground veins. In which biome are you currently in? We'll look into it.

Thanks, Petr
    I was in the starting forest biome, digging relatively deep/long in three different places. But maybe just luck, or the lack thereof, I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Started in forest biome as well, all 3 times. 3rd one more to the north. No veins at except for the last one, but only once.

Preorder Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    well.. i found just a hour and half for playing yesterday, but I had no problem with finding sufficient number of surface ore rocks to satisfy my needs.. didn't look for underground veins tho..

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, maybe some seed problems? I have to discart like 4 or 5 planets before I decided to play on that seed further. On first one I didnt find any ore too, even in pretty large caves. Then planets had too mutch water nearby, or I spawned somewhere I didnt like at first look ). My method was if there isnt anything interesting nearby escape pod, I started next one.

Anyway, that new caves making system is pretty interesting it even tears ground, so ground is split to two by long, narrow cave going deep below water level . There I found classic Iron+S+C vein, but that vein also continued under water and I for first time noticed I cant swim more than 1m deep +-. Why is that? I never try to dive in PN before.
    The more you know, the crazier you look.

My screenshots from PN.

Preorder Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    Well, maybe some seed problems? I have to discart like 4 or 5 planets before I decided to play on that seed further. On first one I didnt find any ore too, even in pretty large caves. Then planets had too mutch water nearby, or I spawned somewhere I didnt like at first look ). My method was if there isnt anything interesting nearby escape pod, I started next one.

Anyway, that new caves making system is pretty interesting it even tears ground, so ground is split to two by long, narrow cave going deep below water level . There I found classic Iron+S+C vein, but that vein also continued under water and I for first time noticed I cant swim more than 1m deep +-. Why is that? I never try to dive in PN before.
    If you're underwater, you can use C (or CTRL?) to swim down.

Btw, how are the caves implemented? Are they filled with water if they are below the "water level"? Because that would mean, I guess, that most caves we can find are definitely underwater.

Kickstarter Music Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I finally found some veins of ore within 300 (meters?) of my pod. haven't been able to mine them yet but I'm heading back. they were in small canyons with water at the bottom, like a deep lake.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    My new game is like this, relatively few smooth rocks in forest location, lots of rough rocks which rarely drop anything like iron, more often carbon, tougher to mine, not as good as smooth rocks.I mined an entire patch of flowers and got 2 iron out of it and about a dozen carbon and fewer sil, previously it would have produced more, esp iron, could not see any seam glitter.

Post Thanks / Like
    While the flower patches bring nothing, I now found a second empty patch. Once I start digging at these empty patches they yield a huge amount of resources, one of them I haven depleted yet, not even after building a small base and a vehicle. In that respect they work, but they're hard to find. The flower patches still bring nothing.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad JUNKASAURUS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boy, this is not how I picture mining for resources in games. I think this system is so old and not fit for the computer power that some of us have nowadays (not me : ( ). Like I mentioned before, more time is spent in making games look interesting than making games interactive. I would go on further and say, make the game cell shaded, but make it interactive.

The whole idea of looking for a round stone to get "whatever" to me is like going to your garden bushes and tree trunks to get chocolate eggs. I suggested a while back the way I envisioned that the mining system would be like and I was disappointed with this system (not trying to bash anyone Petr). I actually wish that the graphics would be dumbed down, and textures reduced for the sake of interactive features.

Here is how I think mining should work. Get rid of the laser mine-it-all wand. Put the drill back in business. Make the drill to be upgrade-able to multiple stages -- soft metals, medium metals, hard metals, diamond bits. Get rid of sour patch grass everywhere and place pebbles/ores/tiny crystals as indicators in random parts of the biomes. Grass takes a toll on rendering, so reducing some sections to implement mineral indicators would improve performance and gameplay. These pebbles/ores would differentiate in color, shine, and texture. They could encompass a range of about 10 to 20 feet radius and be collected by hand on the surface.

So whats with these pebbles/ores/tiny crystals? These would be indicators of a small or large deposit of mineral below it. Once the player found these pebbles/ores/tiny crystals/boulder, he can then whip out his drill and begin to mine down to begin collecting large quantities of mineral. Not 5 different types of minerals from one stone.

Make mineral locale based. Some minerals mainly found near beach shores, others only or mainly in caves, others below 50 feet, others at really high altitudes, others in colder/warmer climates, others in water, others in plants, others in alien creatures, others in the nearest Walmart.

The level of the drill tool dictates what minerals it can mine. This would be the incentive to upgrade, duh. Also for building purposes, in case you decided to build your base right above a iron boulder, then you could level your foundation using a hard metals drill tool.

STOP naming things as they are in real life. You just limit the fun factor when you guys do that. This is a Sci-fi game, name minerals whatever you like. This enhances the desire of the player to want to learn about this NEW periodic table.

Make minerals have different properties. Blocks that you use to construct your base/machines would have durability. Over the long period that the player would have built, things would begin to break down. This would give players the incentive to build their machines and base using better materials. Look at the wolf and the three piggies for an example. A brick home is everybody's dream : D.

Some creatures are mineral indicators. Lets say there was a creature that would be lured to your base because you just built an outside machine that required goethite. You could then follow that creature to see where it resides. Then after following it into a dark cave, and fighting off a swarm of them, you would then find a large goethite deposit. Incentive for scouting.

Some creatures composition would have some minerals. Like the tusks of certain creatures would give you some type of mineral.
    Or like eggs are made of Calcium, so finding some type of creatures nest would grant you eggs that contained a specific-sci fi-named material.

And then during later stages of the game, as you devs become more experienced, you could start implementing physics to minerals, and chemical properties.

Like mixing minerals together to produce another more robust one. This would give the incentive to expound on the machine tier of sciences study.
    And minerals with specific properties or effects. Like a material that if you build a block with it, creates buoyancy.
    Or a mineral that has levitating properties (it's Sci-fi guys).
    Or a mineral that has thermo properties, then one could build thermo sensitive goggles.
    Noise emitting minerals. Could be used for dispersing certain creatures.
    Luminous minerals.
    The possibilities are immense.

All the devs have to do is release 1 new mineral every 2 weeks or 1 month, but not tell anyone where it could be found or what it does, and you would have players going nuts for weeks trying to discover this new material.

SUPER DUPER RARE MATERIALS 200 feet below the ground. Or in the most unexpected places. It would grant jet fuel power to break through the atmosphere. Or that dream drill wheel for your tank to drill giant mine fields.

Implementation of scanning devices. These scanning devices would ping in the radar displaying a type of mineral in the nearby area. The scanning device would take an ore sample of the mineral to be scanned. Or upgrading the scanner to specific hardness, or electrical properties to get different results in the radar. The results wouldn't tell you what the mineral would be, just that there is a different type of material in the area.

And to top it all, all this is mainly virtual. Not much drawing, painting, animating. Just textures, some machine designs, ore designs, icon designs, and probably some basic programming skills to give the default item object different properties.

Just this alone would have players going crazy and drilling holes everywhere for months as the devs would be balancing things out. It's a sad thing I don't work for a game company, my head runs wild with ideas.
    Last edited by JUNKASAURUS; 14-04-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Preorder Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNKASAURUS View Post
    ... STOP naming things as they are in real life. You just limit the fun factor when you guys do that. This is a Sci-fi game, name minerals whatever you like. This enhances the desire of the player to want to learn about this NEW periodic table. ...
    I'd personally hate that, it would feel silly to me, and would decrease my immersion. Just adding my two cents.

But yes, mining is undoubtedly not really good at the moment (it feels way too simplistic for a modern game - when you're using the surface rocks, it's almost like mining in WOW), and getting the old tools back is a very common request. Honestly I only saw one person who said that he/she likes the new tool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNKASAURUS View Post
    Boy, this is not how I picture mining for resources in games. I think this system is so old and not fit for the computer power that some of us have nowadays (not me : ( ). Like I mentioned before, more time is spent in making games look interesting than making games interactive. I would go on further and say, make the game cell shaded, but make it interactive.

The whole idea of looking for a round stone to get "whatever" to me is like going to your garden bushes and tree trunks to get chocolate eggs. I suggested a while back the way I envisioned that the mining system would be like and I was disappointed with this system (not trying to bash anyone Petr). I actually wish that the graphics would be dumbed down, and textures reduced for the sake of interactive features.

Here is how I think mining should work. Get rid of the laser mine-it-all wand. Put the drill back in business. Make the drill to be upgrade-able to multiple stages -- soft metals, medium metals, hard metals, diamond bits. Get rid of sour patch grass everywhere and place pebbles/ores/tiny crystals as indicators in random parts of the biomes. Grass takes a toll on rendering, so reducing some sections to implement mineral indicators would improve performance and gameplay. These pebbles/ores would differentiate in color, shine, and texture. They could encompass a range of about 10 to 20 feet radius and be collected by hand on the surface.

So whats with these pebbles/ores/tiny crystals? These would be indicators of a small or large deposit of mineral below it. Once the player found these pebbles/ores/tiny crystals/boulder, he can then whip out his drill and begin to mine down to begin collecting large quantities of mineral. Not 5 different types of minerals from one stone.

Make mineral locale based. Some minerals mainly found near beach shores, others only or mainly in caves, others below 50 feet, others at really high altitudes, others in colder/warmer climates, others in water, others in plants, others in alien creatures, others in the nearest Walmart.

The level of the drill tool dictates what minerals it can mine. This would be the incentive to upgrade, duh. Also for building purposes, in case you decided to build your base right above a iron boulder, then you could level your foundation using a hard metals drill tool.

STOP naming things as they are in real life. You just limit the fun factor when you guys do that. This is a Sci-fi game, name minerals whatever you like. This enhances the desire of the player to want to learn about this NEW periodic table.

Make minerals have different properties. Blocks that you use to construct your base/machines would have durability. Over the long period that the player would have built, things would begin to break down. This would give players the incentive to build their machines and base using better materials. Look at the wolf and the three piggies for an example. A brick home is the everybody's dream : D.

Some creatures are mineral indicators. Lets say there was a creature that would be lured to your base because you just build an outside machine that required goethite. You could then follow that creature to see where it resides. Then after following it into a dark cave, and fighting off a swarm of them, you would then find a large goethite deposit. Incentive for scouting.

Some creatures composition would have some minerals. Like the tusks of certain creatures would give you some type of mineral.
    Or like eggs are made of Calcium, so finding some type of creatures nest would grant you eggs that contained a specific-sci fi-named material.

And then during later stages of the game, as you devs become more experienced, you could start implementing physics to minerals, and chemical properties.

Like mixing minerals together to produce another more robust one. This would give the incentive to expound on the machine tier of sciences study.
    And minerals with specific properties or effects. Like a material that if you build a block with it, creates buoyancy.
    Or a mineral that has levitating properties (it's Sci-fi guys).
    Or a mineral that has thermo properties, then one could build thermo sensitive goggles.
    Noise emitting minerals. Could be used for dispersing certain creatures.
    Luminous minerals.
    The possibilities are immense.

All the devs have to do is release 1 new mineral every 2 weeks or 1 month, but not tell anyone where it could be found or what it does, and you would have players going nuts for weeks trying to discover this new material.

SUPER DUPER RARE MATERIALS 200 feet below the ground. Or in the most unexpected places. It would grant jet fuel power to break through the atmosphere. Or that dream drill wheel for your tank to drill giant mine fields.

Implementation of scanning devices. These scanning devices would ping in the radar displaying a type of mineral in the nearby area. The scanning device would take an ore sample of the mineral to be scanned. Or upgrading the scanner to specific hardness, or electrical properties to get different results in the radar. The results wouldn't tell you what the mineral would be, just that there is a different type of material in the area.

And to top it all, all this is mainly virtual. Not much drawing, painting, animating. Just textures, some machine designs, ore designs, icon designs, and probably some basic programming skills to give the default item object different properties.

Just this alone would have players going crazy and drilling holes everywhere for months as the devs would be balancing things out. It's a sad thing I don't work for a game company, my head runs wild with ideas.
    Sorry, but I totally have to disagree with you on this one for a few reasons. I like the new drill, with your suggestion, mining things in a cave are going to be hard and very frustrating, since you cannot reach half of the resources. It's not minecraft where you cut out perfect blocks which you can use as stairs.

Also take into consideration that not all of us use a modern up to date pc at all, some of you may have a state of the art one, but rest of us still have to do with older systems. If they would do what you suggest, most backers most likely couldn't even play the game anymore.

It runs pretty smooth now and sure, it needs improvements, but there's more to finding some rocks on the surface, you can dig down at certain places and those places are well marked. Granted, they don't all work at the moment. Having very distinguisable rocks on the surface is very good for getting some resources quickly.

Mining locally based? In a game world of this size and seperate biomes? You'll never be able to build even a small base at all, unless you spent hours of gathering resources.

I often like your suggestions, but you want to make the game overly complicated. I'm not for that at all, I love the simplicity in the game, it has a certain charm. Why make things complicated so only a few will like the game, while all the others will love it for it's simplicity, yet with a good degree of depth where needed?

You want to turn this into a overly comlicated minecraft scifi version a little too much in my opinion. I don't need another clone, I like the original parts they're trying to add. I also love how they're trying to reach sandbox gamers on every level, not just a few survival diehards. Honestly, most of what you suggest would hurt sales badly.

Quote Originally Posted by GaborB View Post
    I'd personally hate that, it would feel silly to me, and would decrease my immersion. Just adding my two cents.

But yes, mining is undoubtedly not really good at the moment (it feels way too simplistic for a modern game - when you're using the surface rocks, it's almost like mining in WOW), and getting the old tools back is a very common request. Honestly I only saw one person who said that he/she likes the new tool.
    Make that 2 then But I agree on the naming, I like how it uses real names of materials.

Post Thanks / Like
    Before I say anything, I want to stress that by no means I'm upset at all how much I spent on the game. I had tons of fun the past few months, and love the project.And if they release this game to the modding community, it will be incredible. I LOVE the freedom of creating things from other parts. That alone has satisfied me in the alpha. I just don't like how they modified the building scheme (I understand they are trying to fix it), and the survival to me (right now) is not what this game is capable of. I know that the current building system is an attempt to add some of the features asked for the building, however, it doesn't change the fact that it's messed up. From what it was, it's broken. Don't believe? try building a vehicle, or any structure with 15+ blocks (or even less), you'll see what I mean.

@Benjamin

I believed you missed some of the things I wrote down.
    I don't have a good computer, you can see it from my videos. I said "(not me : ( )" up there. But that doesn't mean that games should stay behind because of my old system.
    I said that these features wouldn't take a toll on the performance since they are mainly virtual and not visual. All it is is data and a few icons and textures. A lot less than grass blades everywhere. I don't mind the grass if you think that is what I am saying.
    I said that getting rid of some grass would improve performance since it would be less to render.
    I said, make the game cell shaded for the sake of interactivity (if it was a case where the graphics was what was keeping the game from being more interactive). Less textures, less leaves, less branches. I know some of us like the realistic look, but what I am getting at is, games should dumb down graphics "for the sake of interactivity"; meaning more things for people to do (look at Zelda for example). NMS attracted gamers with its cell-shaded look. By no means I'm saying to make PN cell shaded. I am saying that I would rather have graphics compromised for the sake of things to do.

I said make mineral locale-based meaning that each biome would have a set of minerals available to it, not just one. Each biome DOES have multiple and also unique parts to it.

The jungle biome:
    has some unique plants, you would be able to extract a type of mineral from it which you couldn't at the desert.
    It has hills, another type of mineral.
    It has caves, another type of mineral.
    It has water, another one.
    It has depth, another one.
    It has boulders, another type.

So lets say you wanted to build a suspension, and it required 50 iron, 20 titanium, 10 aluminum. Then you would walk around your biome and find where iron is mainly found. Oh underground, let me start digging under these iron ores. Titanium is found in caves? Oh, I know where there is a cave in my biome, let me go dig it. Aluminum near the water shores? Oh, let me go get it, I'm not to far from the beach.

Now let's say that your biome did not have a beach, but it had weird rock formations. Those weird rock formation could possibly have aluminum, or an "alternate" material for aluminum, like brass. So you would go and dig it out. So on the parts menu where it showed suspension, there would be a button for alternative minerals to construct the suspension.

Certain biomes would have minerals unique to that biome, like the goethite or bismuth. This would be an incentive for players to travel. Let's say your biome has no titanium, and the wheel that you want to build for your mining vehicle requires it, but you didn't want to use an alternative mineral due to durability. So you would travel to get that mineral. And once found, and you extracted large amounts and loaded it into your truck, then you would drive back and make that mining wheel.

Each mineral would have durability. You would learn this as I said "with time" as things break down. You would know how long things take to break, or how many uses. People mainly get angry with things breaking when it's ridiculously short, like in the latest Zelda game. But breaking in general is not bad. Early in development, Craneballs was talking about tires in vehicles breaking. People didn't mind that. Besides, players are constantly dealing with that mechanic right now more than they think. How many times you had to go find food, and get water, and get whatever you were running out? Item deterioration would take A LOT longer than your food, water and energy levels. I'm talking in-game weeks, or months and possibly in-game years.

Mining in caves is hard? I don't see how you think that. I made tunnels to extract minerals in the game right now, and I was able to get out of the tunnel just fine. If you are talking about people getting stuck on ground formation right now, well then, that's a game feature that needs to be fixed. I found it more frustrating when I made my windmill, that I wasn't able to climb 1 block height than ever getting stuck on ground formations. Or maybe you're looking at caves being km away from base. Well then, you wouldn't be travelling that far to find a mineral you need, just use an alternative mineral. Or maybe you're referring to having to dig upwards to follow the mineral path. First, there are ways to do that, and second, that's when you would change your drill tool to a laser beam, (incentive for upgrade 8O). But the pieces shouldn't appear in your inventory, they should fall in form of ores and then you pick them up, like OSIRIS.

Naming minerals:
    That's fine that some people don't like using Sci-fi names. I personally actually enjoy the joy of discovery. The periodic table is filled with minerals, should they only use the ones that we commonly know the names of? Aluminium, Gold, Brass, Iron, Copper, Titanium, Uranium, Lead, Mercury, Silver? Shouldn't they use some of the exotic names as well. Besides, they said they are, that's why they had a naming contest for the rarest mineral in the game. I personally like that, since you don't know what it is and what it does. But if people only like names of minerals common to man, I have no problem with only that being in the game.

Running it pretty smooth on your computer. It's horrible on my computer. If you are judging the game based on my screenshots that I took recently, I tell you that, those images were taken of an area I saved, and then upped the graphics to ultra, and then moved around at like 10 - 20 or less FPS, then took the images. But I know that the implementation of what I stated above wouldn't affect performance. I mentioned with the computer power of nowadays (because computers are able to process more data), that games tend to push graphics instead of functionality. Look at NVIDIA's new HydroDynamic technology just debuted. But many companies will choose to make games look awesome instead of using that technology, because people tend to go after aethetics instead of features.

You mentioned my ideas being complicated. It might be just me, but I think what I mentioned above is quite simple. I think ARK is very complicated with so many building blocks and all sorts of stuff, yet so many people play it. Or League of Legends with hundreds of items and building schemes, skill combos, exploits and etc. Yet look at that game.

I think PN right now is overly simple. Get your laser tool, mine dirt and get 3 different minerals. Mine trees to get carbon and biomess. Find creatures near crystal monuments. Beam and run. Get meat from crystals? Build icons in order to open other icons. Jump, wait, beam, wait, stock, build, wait, sleep, wait, repeat.

That to me is overly simple and not fun at all. (I KNOW O_O it's an alpha Azirahael) LOL sheesh! Azirahael is the "It's an alpha!" nomad. : D

I think that the reason many of the things I ask for is not in the game for two reasons:
    1. because of what you said, they want the game to be very simple.
    2. but also because they are relatively new. It's their first PC game and many of them are starting out. This is how people get better, by practice.

I feel like some of us want to express how we feel, but are afraid to discourage the team. But I hate the idea of walking over eggshells with people. Besides, they even admitted that they just had a wake up call with the recent posts from people, which they thanked.

If anything, this will all boil down to one thing. The development will continue and they will fix the building scheme, and I will have back the only thing that kept me entertained--the building part. I wont touch the survival, that I will leave for the people that enjoy the "simple" gameplay. And if one day they make it open source, I will look into making what I think the survival should be like.

Well, I don't know if I missed anything. I need to shave the dog right now. So I'll be back in a little bit to double check.

Glad to see everybody active in the forums. As always, get building! Wait, it's broken LOL XD
    Last edited by JUNKASAURUS; 14-04-2017 at 08:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't forget there are plenty of survival games that keep it rather simple and they're doing well also. There's always an audience for everything, but from the vision they shared on Kickstarter, they didn't share a complicated vision at all. Rather straigth forward. Also keep in mind that they're going to add a lot more blocks and features. I still think that if they follow your ideas, this game will be too complicated in the end and you'll be stuck on the planet for a long time, without a chance to get off it. They need to find a balance without going overboard and so far, they're on the right track..... as far as I'm concerned.

Glad to see everybody active in the forums. As always, get building! Wait, it's broken LOL XD
    It's not, it's actually working..... if you can find the right place with resources

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, build me a truck with 6 wheels and a hopper on the back. Do it in creative, and time it for me.

I never said that going to space should take too long. I just said that super rare minerals, should be rare. All I stated above are suggestions. I personally wouldn't mind staying in a planet for 2 human months before I take off. Besides, what do you think would be in the other planet? Based on how things are, "simple", then all you will be doing in the other planet is the same thing you did on the first. This would make the game fall in almost the same category as NMS. You would leave one planet to do the same on the other.
    On my old post "How I would make a survival game" I suggested that certain technologies would only be completed with materials found on other planets (not including new alien blueprints that would be found there). So lets say you wanted to build a gun that would be able to shoot grenades, but one of the materials for it is found in planets closer to the sun. This would give incentives for people to travel.

It's fine, so some people might think this is too complicated. That's ok, don't add it. I just think things are very simple, and very repetitive without any real goal to do them. The way that I mentioned the game above, you would be:

Finding food to stay alive.
    Finding minerals to build weapons and tools. Different weapons and tools would require different minerals. Some blueprints available from the start, with others dependable on better machine technologies. So you could continue to use a laser gun, or develop a technology for an assault rifle. You can survive with either, but the latter would be better for certain situations. And diamond tip tools for certain types of drilling.
    Finding minerals to build structures. Better structural beams, tougher glass, stronger plates.
    Finding minerals to build machines. Machines to make different weapons, different armors, tools, vehicle parts.
    Finding minerals to increase durability. Longevity of tools, machines, and structures.
    Finding minerals to enhance technologies. Lets say your tired of slow vehicle speeds, you want to build a jet or a rocket. These machines would require rare materials.
    Finding minerals to develop new technologies. Alien technology that requires some minerals that can only be found in different planets.
    Finding minerals to build bombs to blow up sections of biomes.
    Finding minerals to build space stations and satellites.

I think most of these would make me want to stay a long time in my starting planet. "Why would I want to visit other planets, I'm like a BOSS in this one!"

Give me numbers. How long do you plan to stay in one planet? What would be too long for you? How many planets do you want to be in the game?

How do you know that the reason why most people play simple games isn't because the complex ones are filled with bugs, or bad mechanics, or bad UI, or confusing menu systems, or unnecessary grinding? I personally haven't seen a game like I am mentioning. How do we know it wouldn't be a massive hit? After all, a lot about games is execution. Hence, some game of the same genre fail miserably, while others do extremely well. Overwatch vs Battleborn.

Inherently games become more complex with time, and one day maybe someone will make what I am saying. I just think things are way too simple right now, and if it continues to be that way, then I will have no feeling to play the survival portion, and I will see no reason for me to travel to different planets either. Unless, of course, the modding community gets a hold of the game.

But that's completely Okay with me if the game turns out to be very simple, because I mainly want to see Craneballs prosper, and if keeping the game simple makes the most sales, so be it. I'm just saying I have no pleasure in playing something that I am doing something over and over just so I could go somewhere else and do that same thing again. I stopped playing NMS because of that.

I wish my computer was better so I could show you what I mean by broken.

As always, get building!

BTW, did you watch my videos of things that I made during the alpha? Which ones?

I was able to reach the moon in less than 2 months (I think) using flight that I had to truly discover. You see, when you get the game, all you will probably have to do is build jet engines or fans and attach it to your vehicle. I actually had to think about and fiddle with the physics to make flight and satellites. So even if it would take a long time to go to orbit, I probably would find a way to get there faster. LOL

thanks Benjamin
    Last edited by JUNKASAURUS; 14-04-2017 at 11:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I pretty much watched all of your videos. I'm wondering one thing though when reading your thoughts, how many of us, beside you, would go travel between planets to get some rare stuff they need and then return to the planet they started on? Do people actually want do stuff like that? Personally, I would travel to another planet, but most likely never go back, just keep on going. Then there's the other side of things, you're now forcing people to travel, but I can totally see people just want to stay where they are. Speaking of NMS, they added bases for a reason. Even in NMS there are many people that don't want to travel at all, but pick a planet they like and stay there. Planets in NMS aren't half as interesting as the planets in PN, still people enjoy staying on the boring NMS planets for a long time. I can totally see that desire even being stronger in PN.... since the planets will be so much more interesting.

Finding food to stay alive.
    Finding minerals to build weapons and tools. Different weapons and tools would require different minerals. Some blueprints available from the start, with others dependable on better machine technologies. So you could continue to use a laser gun, or develop a technology for an assault rifle. You can survive with either, but the latter would be better for certain situations. And diamond tip tools for certain types of drilling.
    Finding minerals to build structures. Better structural beams, tougher glass, stronger plates.
    Finding minerals to build machines. Machines to make different weapons, different armors, tools, vehicle parts.
    Finding minerals to increase durability. Longevity of tools, machines, and structures.
    Finding minerals to enhance technologies. Lets say your tired of slow vehicle speeds, you want to build a jet or a rocket. These machines would require rare materials.
    Finding minerals to develop new technologies. Alien technology that requires some minerals that can only be found in different planets.
    Finding minerals to build bombs to blow up sections of biomes.
    Finding minerals to build space stations and satellites.
    You know what I'm going to say now, don't you..... too complicated Even worse..... way too time consuming.

I think most of these would make me want to stay a long time in my starting planet. "Why would I want to visit other planets, I'm like a BOSS in this one!"
    I understand that, but not all of us are like that. Have you seen my videos? I love exploring. I'll go from pole to pole and once I've done that, it's onto the next planet, to see what's out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's all good man! Ohh ok then. Yeah, we have drastically different gameplays : D. I did watch your pole traveling videos, and to tell you the truth, with all the flight machines that I made, I never bothered to go there LOL. Sight seeing for me is the second thing I like to do, and the poles were pretty boring to me. Building is my main thing. I rarely traveled in PN (including while flying). I did go to the moon, and sun, and stars, but I never flew from pole to pole. I like the joy of discovery, to tinker, to make things not intended.

To answer your question about going back to the home planet after finding the minerals, the answer is yes and no. Here are the reasons:

No because:
    The some of the things that would require rare and new minerals are things that you could take with you, or things that would allow you to upgrade your sciences. The ship is something that travels with you including cargo. So some minerals you could bring with you, those minerals which you value for weapons and upgrades. Once you found the remaining mineral you needed, now you would have a new gun, and guns you would always have with you (all guns developed would be available at your ship's inventory). The sciences are tiers you would upgrade. Once a tier is upgraded, you would have that upgrade forever, nothing to carry there or go back to.

Yes because:
    In the game, I picture alien technology blueprints that could be discovered which would allow you to open portals from planet to planet. Then you could construct one portal in one planet, travel to the other planet and construct another one, and link the two. Then if you built something in one planet, you could then bring it to the other. Besides, why wouldn't you want to revisit the base you built in the early stages of the game. All that work for nothing? That to me is a waste. I like what you said that that would force people to travel to another planet. To complete some technologies, yes, but not all. You would be able to survive just fine with certain tiers. It would be some special tiers and upgrades that you would have to travel to acquire the minerals. So you would be able upgrade your laser beam all the way with the minerals in your home planet, but you could not construct a grenade launcher unless you traveled to get the mineral, or find an alternative mineral. Besides, aren't people going to be travelling anyways to see the other biomes? So in the end it wouldn't be so crazy. Going back to the previous planet would be an option, not a must. And if people decided to stay in their home planet and never leave, they survive with the laser beam just fine. But if they would want new experiences and new content, they would have to travel. I think most games do that anyways. To get ahead in the game you need to move.

So yes, I would travel to another planet to acquire certain minerals to finish a technology or build a machine that would open up a new level in my gameplay. But the majority of the blueprints that would require minerals to be gathered from other places would be things that you could bring with you (like guns and technologies).

So you wouldn't want to go back to the planet you started on?

How long do you plan to stay in one planet? What would be too long for you? How many planets do you want to be in the game?