Thread: 0.4.3 vs 0.5.0 Performance Differences

Post Thanks / Like

0.4.3 vs 0.5.0 Performance Differences

Hello Alpha Nomads,

The title says it all. What's the difference in performance for you in the 0.5.0 update compared to the previous one? Better or worse? Did the extended graphic options help?

Wanted to create a single thread so it's easier for devs to check, rather than digging in individual threads.

Cheers
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a quick feedback after ~1 hour of survival and quick 10-15 minutes jetpack flight in creative. Now that's what I call improvement.
    My rig is half way through a hardware upgrade, so I have a decent GPU, but a low end CPU and slow RAM. With the new version my FPS count doubled in average. Or it might be even better. The previous version was 20 ...ish If I started jetpacking around it wasn't rare it dropped to around 10.
    Now even at moving around quickly FPS count only occasionally drops below 30. Generally it is above 40.
    v0.5.0 visibly puts less pressure on the system. In the previous version I got game freezes many times because my rig couldn't keep up with the game in loading game objects. Not it seems this issue has gone.

I play on the medium preset. Didn't tinker with extended graphics options so far. I'll try to tweak it more in the coming days to see if I can get some more improvement.

Really good experience with the new version so far. Really nice work!
    I made screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/D1FM7 \o/

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Game is running a hundred times better than it did before. Here is my latest video with GPU, CPU and Ram overlays. CPU temp is not anything I am worrying about now. Liquid Cooled FTW. Did try restricting frame rates but that actually increased stuttering so went back to unlimited. I am playing on low graphics settings at the moment as a comparison to my older videos. Well here is the new vid. https://youtu.be/4I_eKHaxbZM expect more videos daily from me.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Performance is much better. Pretty similar to fura's numbers.

Preorder Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Funnily enough, I think I'm having somewhat more stuttering than previously – but I like the update a lot for other reasons. I'll try to do some more extensive testing (after restarting my system) and report back on the performance.

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Harrison's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It works now much better, than before. Now I can play with 60 frames with very low settings, and with 30 on the medium settings. Got around 20-25 on very high. ALso I played with custom settings and got 50 fps with "medium" quality.
    But it may drops to the 30 - 10 frames (on 1-2 sec), if new chunk will be loading, I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been playing on max settings and getting double the fps after the update, however there seems to be a pop in issues when going anything faster than walking speed. This causes some delay and my fps to drop but it goes down to about 20 sometimes lower. This makes me think about driving vehicles and they could possibly freeze and crash the game at high speeds. overall though, I have been getting around 50 to 60 fps on max settings and oddly enough, i dunno if anyone has done this, but if you look up into the air while you move, your fps will double. I was getting 100+fps while doing this, i mean sure it's pretty silly, but someone's gotta test these things out XD

Overall, there have been many improvements but we need to address the pop in issues that plague the game in survival.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    On my desktop GTX760, I had to put graphics on min, and it was still sluggish, low fps, just playable.

For Alpha 5, I started playing on my higher-end system, so I need to get back to my desktop for a proper comparison, BUT on my higher-end system, it defaulted to max graphics and was at least as good of a frame rate, maybe a little better, as my desktop GTX760 was on minimum graphics. Hopefully you can eek out a little more performance so it will run well on my higher end system with max graphics. I'll reply with the experience on my GTX760 system when I can. I'm out of town, for another week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaycephus View Post
    On my desktop GTX760, I had to put graphics on min, and it was still sluggish, low fps, just playable.

For Alpha 5, I started playing on my higher-end system, so I need to get back to my desktop for a proper comparison, BUT on my higher-end system, it defaulted to max graphics and was at least as good of a frame rate, maybe a little better, as my desktop GTX760 was on minimum graphics. Hopefully you can eek out a little more performance so it will run well on my higher end system with max graphics. I'll reply with the experience on my GTX760 system when I can. I'm out of town, for another week.
    Going to cut in here, since that is very odd. Can you give the rest of the specs of that system as well the resolution you're playing on? I'm playing on an i7 3.4Ghz, 16Gb RAM and a GTX 750 TI 2Gb with a resolution of 1680x1050 (I know, odd one, max the monitor can handle). My settings are medium to high and the game runs absolutely fine and pretty smooth. Since you have a slightly better graphics card it should run fine, unless you try to game at super high resolutions perhaps..... or the rest of the machine is really weak.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad JUNKASAURUS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did have a major performance increase, but my computer still can't handle the game as it did back in early alpha. I did notice that on extra low settings now, the field of view is much shorter compared to 0.3 versions, to maybe 250 meters? maybe more?

My computer just can't handle the game very well. Here are the specs:

Windows 10 Home Edition
    Processor: Intel Core i7-4700MQ 2.40GHz
    Ram: 16gb ram
    64 bit
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M SLI (2x)
    Laptop

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin (ShadowFlightBA) View Post
    Going to cut in here, since that is very odd. Can you give the rest of the specs of that system as well the resolution you're playing on? I'm playing on an i7 3.4Ghz, 16Gb RAM and a GTX 750 TI 2Gb with a resolution of 1680x1050 (I know, odd one, max the monitor can handle). My settings are medium to high and the game runs absolutely fine and pretty smooth. Since you have a slightly better graphics card it should run fine, unless you try to game at super high resolutions perhaps..... or the rest of the machine is really weak.
    My desktop is Win10 with similar specs to yours, but I was running with high res of 3440x1440.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    My performance seems similar, if not worse.
    My specs are:
    i7-4790 3.6Ghz
    16GB Ram
    Windows 10 64bit
    Geforce GTX 750 Ti according to dxdiag 10GB of ram...not sure how that works

Lowering the texture detail helped a lot though, which is good. I haven't played too much with the settings, and I probably need a better graphics card as well.

I should also mention, I often am running 2 monitors, with youtube running on the second, which certainly wont help. My primary display is 1920x1080

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaycephus View Post
    My desktop is Win10 with similar specs to yours, but I was running with high res of 3440x1440.
    That explains a lot. I'm sure if it's totaly fair to complain about a slow game if you try to play nearly 4k on a lower end older gaming card. That card was made to run games decently on 1920x1080 at the most.... and not even then on the highest settings.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I find it a little faster maybe?

My major issue is what feels like a drop in sim speed when using the jetpack to cover ground quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin (ShadowFlightBA) View Post
    That explains a lot. I'm sure if it's totaly fair to complain about a slow game if you try to play nearly 4k on a lower end older gaming card. That card was made to run games decently on 1920x1080 at the most.... and not even then on the highest settings.
    No, it's fair to complain if I play a lot of games at this res and don't have to go all the way to minimum graphics and then only get 15 fps on min. I still need to get home and try A5 on it, though. I expect it won't be as bad. But I also recall there were special issues in PN just with the full 3440x1440 res before in the first Alpha versions, I think, so I might have not been at that full res on my desktop anyway. Before the performance drop back in Alpha 1, I played at 1920x1080 and had the graphics maxed.

Preorder Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Playing on i7-6700K, GTX1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4, Win10Pro 64-bit, 1920x1080 with full details and no problem.. sometimes there are light drops in "simulation speed" but nothing critical.. didn't notice some big improvement as game ran quite good even before with version 0.4.3 :-)
    Last edited by Robertak; 21-04-2017 at 07:43 AM.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just did a set of tests on all of the options (apart from water reflection - I wasn't near any water) and these are the frame rate impacts on my machine (GTX 970, i5, 1920x1080).
    Ones with negligible impact not listed.
    FPS values are approximate based on standing at the edge of the pod crater, recording the FPS, running a circuit around it and checking the FPS value again. Of course movement affects the fps, but it's too hard to gauge the effect properly to get a consistent value.

Model quality from med to high: -6 fps
    Terrain texture quality from low to high: -7 fps
    Camera effects (combined): -8 fps (motion blur -3 fps, the others were hard to individually determine, so I lumped them together).
    Shadow quality from low to ultra: -8 fps
    Anistropic texturing enabled: -2 fps
    Vsynch on: -17 fps

Disregarding Vsynch which is default off, setting everything to off or the minimum value I get 49 fps. When I set everything to max (vsynch off) I get about 19 fps. The settings listed are the biggest contributors to the fps drop. When I set them to the minimum and leave others I don't see contributing in any significant way to performance (e.g. light quality, texture quality) I sit about 49 fps.

EDIT: just tested Water reflections: -20 fps
    Last edited by TheMartian; 21-04-2017 at 06:00 AM.