Thread: Food and water harvesting

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Food and water harvesting

Instead of having to hold down the "E" key until the item is harvested can we just have a single press and release of the key to harvest? It's really tedious to continually have to keep the key pressed. The actual time to harvest can still take the time it does now, no problem with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone else feeling the same?
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Kickstarter Unique Nomad Nomad Dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    holding down E key is not hard for me i dont have a problem with the way it is now. its no more difficult than pressing the W key to go foreword and i press that a lot more than E.
    Wazbat say's "Oh Nomad Dave isn't affiliated with Planet Nomads or Craneballs" witch is very true all I have is the game

Post Thanks / Like
    It's fine to keep holding E, but you might want to consider making gathering a bit faster. Also, release notes for v0.4.3 says the water gathering time is reduced to 3 seconds from 4. But it's still seems 4 for me. I feel no difference. (I don't think I can count it accurately, but still... )
    I made screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/D1FM7 \o/

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maslostroj View Post
    Anyone else feeling the same?
    I don't really see the issue. I've never felt that it was taking too long, nor bothersome to hold E to harvest. It's not like you're doing it all the time either, even when on big food gathering trips.

Preorder Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also don't have an issue with holding E while gathering. For me personally it wouldn't make a difference if it would take the same amount of time but I wouldn't have to hold the key down.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's okay, until you shoot one of these small critters and it starts rolling away when it's dead while you're trying to loot it

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would say it isnt problem of Planet Nomads, but whith almost all games lately. In old days everything works right after you push button, picking up or even droping items, open chests ... just everything. Now you have to hold button for almost every second action, like they give you time to think, do I really want to click on it? Well sure I do! Only in few games I saw good implementation of holding buttons, like there are two different actions but same button, and that second one you have to hold it is lees frequent.
    PS: personaly I hate to hold buttons too, I like to return any finger to wsad immediately, but at gathering it atleast makes sense, at picking up items nope
    Last edited by Jimmy; 01-04-2017 at 10:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin (ShadowFlightBA) View Post
    It's okay, until you shoot one of these small critters and it starts rolling away when it's dead while you're trying to loot it
    Oh yes, things are rolling for eternity if they are not getting stuck on something. And the Bran - or what's his name - is small enough to not stuck on things. First time I killed one, I chased it's corpse for like 3 minutes before I gave up. Almost got lost in the body hunt
    I think this should be nerfed down. I mean it makes sense on steep hills, but is the elevation is small, rolling things should stop eventually.

On the key holding - to stay at the topic - as mentioned, I have no trouble holding E, but in regards of picking up things, it would make more sense indeed if that would be instantenious.

Preorder Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fura View Post
    Oh yes, things are rolling for eternity if they are not getting stuck on something. And the Bran - or what's his name - is small enough to not stuck on things. First time I killed one, I chased it's corpse for like 3 minutes before I gave up. Almost got lost in the body hunt
    I think this should be nerfed down. I mean it makes sense on steep hills, but is the elevation is small, rolling things should stop eventually.
    Sound like it would solve it if they'd simply use a box (or more boxy) collider on it. Maybe we should report it as a bug?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure if this can be called a bug. It is expected that things are rolling. In the real world friction would take care of stopping thing, but we don't really have that in the game I guess. For me it seems the physics engine is doing its job, its just not really realistic.
    So I'd say this is more like a feature/improvement request and should categorize under general feedback. Also its not that high priority at the moment

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    What I find most annoying is having to continuously release and press E to gather more water.
    At times, I want to harvest say 20 dirty water to make 10 drinking water. It would be nice if I could just keep the E key held down.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Merinsan View Post
    What I find most annoying is having to continuously release and press E to gather more water.
    At times, I want to harvest say 20 dirty water to make 10 drinking water. It would be nice if I could just keep the E key held down.
    /sign ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe a water pump machine? Some way to auto-process (clean) water?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah. A water pump with Conveyor ports would be ideal.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with a few of the above. Here are my thoughts:

• Manual gathering is ok on a key hold but holding continuously should keep gathering until released
    • Add automation options and scale these like the other machinery (compact/med/adv)
    • Make some endgame equipment require water, maybe for cooling generators and making plants grow in the bio dome

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the hold down the "E" for harvesting; I think we should feel a little at risk when letting our guard down to focus on harvesting.

If they do add a water tank with Conveyor ports and water pump, Im thinking it would look really cool if it had a brass or gold base and top and class tube middle.

It would be cool if we could fill it with dirty water, add 70 plants. Then wait a good length of time and see the water go from brown to clear, and have a light turn on when it is finish and time for us to collect 70 bottles of clean water.
    Last edited by Casual Viking; 01-08-2017 at 04:22 PM.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'd prefer a 'press to start harvesting' rather than 'hold to harvest.'

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Merinsan View Post
    Yes, I thought about this too last night while playing. Holding the E key would keep filling like the multi tool keeps mining.

And, for me I'd rather have a 1 button press to harvest, both water and food, and not have to hold it. Especially when I'm trying to harvest next to a nest of... horses? Unicorns?

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't mind a "hold E to continuously gather water" functionality. It's tedious to have to keep doing the "mash E, hold, release, repeat" cycle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMartian View Post
    Instead of having to hold down the "E" key until the item is harvested can we just have a single press and release of the key to harvest?
    I think this would be a little confusing. I'd prefer to keep it as-is.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd also like to have either water coming in larger batches, or coming in singles, but allowing you to just hold the button to keep harvesting.

Holding button is less hassle than having to keep pressing.