Thread: My impressions so far:

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb My impressions so far:

So, this is a combination bug-report and suggestion for the Devs thread.
    I haven't read everyone else's notes, so some of this will duplicate.

Impressions:
    1. Writing instructions on the inside of the cryopod: Brilliant!
    2. Having a light that drains a full battery in 10 mins: bad. I have a rechargeable torch that runs for 10 hours straight at 6000 lumens. On two small batteries. It's the future. Ditch the torch drain. It's not realistic or atmospheric. All it means is you stand around waiting for the battery to recharge.
    3. New drill is incredibly annoying. You have to dig 3 chunks, then wait for the battery to recharge. This is fine if we are going to be getting a better drill soon. But if we are stuck with it for a while, it needs to improve. I suggest taking a leaf from Empyrion: have the mechanical drill as a basic one, and have the fancy beam drill as an upgrade, with beter range. Also, lower the drain a good deal.
    4. We need slightly more hand-holding at the start. Build this: now that. Go get metal. Refine it here. Get food from here. Process it in this. Now you're not gonna die in the next half hour. Now you can relax and look around a bit.
    5. Lower the food consumption rate. No-one staves to death in 30 mins. Ditto water.
    6. Give the player a stash of food and water at the start.
    7. Lower the part requirements/increase the amount generated from ore. The system works, but it's too much slog to build one damn block.
    8. Unlock some basic blocks right at the start. Like concrete or something, made from dirt. Or rammed-earth blocks. Crappy, but they'll keep the monsters out.
    9. More monsters. Like, night time should be scary. Think: Minecraft. Night is scary. Hide inside till the sun comes out. Only venture out at night with good gear.
    10. Some control over the day/night cycle. it's like 10 mins from dawn to dawn at the mo'. That's just crazy.

Bugs:
    1. if you invert the mouse in settings, if you go into settings again, it will undo it. so you have to do it again.
    2. Animals seem to be indestructible. Used the multi-tool on a stuck deer. Emptied 5 batteries into its head. No effect. Even a crap weapon should be able to kill it eventually.
    3. Harvesting dirty water gives meat. and biomatter.
    4. Animals get stuck, and animate badly. Specifically the Deer thingy.

Def a good start, but needs balance work. Keep up the good work!

TTFN.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good points, I totally agree with you, except for the comment on the mobs. Now I do understand that you want that, but not all of us would like that at all. This could be solved by adding difficulty levels or setting sliders allowing the players to tweak things as they like.

Levels could be something like peaceful, where mobs only react when you attack them. Normal, just like it is now. Hardcore, as you suggest, lots of mobs attacking you at night.

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Commander Caractacus Pott's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Benjamin. I prefer the current system. As with minecraft where are all the undead coming from? Also, I like walking at night. I understand that some people would like more of a challenge though and that is fine, hence why I like the slider idea.
    agree about the food though.
    regarding bug 2 I managed to zap a small bug(I was too cowardly to attack anything bigger after a run-in with a godillo) I could not catch the corpse though as it rolled away and de spawned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, anything with sliders is an automatic win.

Play the game your way!

Also, i have yet to find ANY gatherable food.
    In about 2 hours or so.

Yep, i looked for fireflies. Day and night.
    Nope, i didn't see any.

Though i did once get a free piece of meat from dirty water.
    ???

Kickstarter Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great efforts so far, here are my comments based on about 8 hrs of play.

1) Light that drains battery, I agree with previous post, in the future I think this should not be an issue.
    2) Getting lost is too easy, there should be some marker on the compass to help you get back to the pod. The only way I find my way back is if I destroy every tree in my path so I can follow the damage back.
    3) Trees don’t fall realistically, too slow.
    4) More defining features needed in the landscape, like large piles of rocks, caves, tree logs and other forest found debris. This will also help people use visual markers for way finding.
    5) The grass doesn’t move right with the wind, it feels like it moves like water. I think the movement needs to be more sporadic, also the grass feels mowed and is all the same height, I think this should feel less like a well-kept garden.
    6) A lot of time is spent waiting, waiting for drill to complete, waiting for battery to recharge… I think these aspects need to be improved.
    7) The UI needs to be scalable, I think some of the text is too small. Also many of the materials look the same.
    8) Some guiding would help, maybe small missions to help a player complete goals. Also finding food was very, very challenging.
    9) Food and water seem to be used quickly. So too much time is spent sorting out food and water problems.
    10) Should everything be battery related, maybe the jetpack should use oxygen and power, but the drill would use power only… I just feel that this is oversimplified and becomes annoying when you feel like you are always waiting to be able to do the next thing.
    11) I like the progressive build system, but it may need to change to free peoples choices, I may want to build on stilts and so I don’t want to build a large base block. What would be very useful is a codex of all available blocks and tools that can be built so that a person understands what is needed to progress to that level.
    12) Night and day should have different threats, colder at night, more dangerous animals, pack hunters. Also I think there should be good motivation to defend your base, and so animals should move or travel in packs and not stay close to their spawn point.
    13) Is the air breathable? Maybe it is on the surface, but when mining its more toxic… anyway I think the helmet should be removable not to mention the rest of the suit. Besides the fact it probably really stinks in there, this could add new game elements like different suits for different jobs, high armour, slow moving, light armour fast moving, helmet on, less visibility, helmet off no head protection, water breathing and swimming equipment.
    14) Binoculars would be nice, we are explorers.
    15) Some environmental elements should be considered, like building a fire, using a sharp stick or small rocks as defence, collecting water from rain, making a moat, solar and wind power, farming your food, fishing… etc.…
    16) The day feels short, I think this should be revised.
    17) Creating a map of the terrain as you explore would be a good tool to have.
    18) Greater reason to travel, I think some materials required to build very advanced things should be very rare, but traveling at random makes it unrealistic so maybe a material finder will take people on great exploratory missions.

Thanks guys, keep up the great work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Azirahael View Post
    Yeah, anything with sliders is an automatic win.

Play the game your way!

Also, i have yet to find ANY gatherable food.
    In about 2 hours or so.

Yep, i looked for fireflies. Day and night.
    Nope, i didn't see any.

Though i did once get a free piece of meat from dirty water.
    ???
    Food is lacking indeed. I traveled a long way from my starting point and still didn't find any food at all. I keep on dying from hunger.

I seriously would not mind a slider to set food and water to zero. I love the mining and gathering, but can do without foraging for food and water.

Preorder Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin (ShadowFlightBA) View Post
    Food is lacking indeed. I traveled a long way from my starting point and still didn't find any food at all. I keep on dying from hunger.

I seriously would not mind a slider to set food and water to zero. I love the mining and gathering, but can do without foraging for food and water.
    I suspect that for now the only biome that is prepared for survival is the forest. I was seeing a lot of trees in other biomes that seemed to have fruits, but they weren't harvestable.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got lost on my first save as it was a flat featureless forest. beautiful, peaceful and impossible to navigate.
    try the seed KREIGER (all caps) should be food near the pod.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, update fixed the rate of building vs materials gathered, which is great!

Though, i'd like some tips on how we are supposed to get cobalt, nickel, gold silver etc.

I know you can get some at risk from nests.
    I know you sometimes get a bit when mining.

But what's the intent?
    Dig real deep?
    Find the mountains?
    What?

Also, there's a bug that happens quite frequently: Harvesting gathers no resources. Save/load fixes it, but it's annoying.
    Also, when animals do their stomp attack, it knocks down trees, and hits you 15 feet away. And in the air.

Also, i suggest that your base & beacons & corpse show on the map/radar/have a beam of light shining out of them.
    Given how far you have to go to see anything but trees, and how quick you get tired, finding your stuff when you die is a majot pain.

Post Thanks / Like
    You might want to check this thread for hints on resources:
    https://forum.planet-nomads.com/thre...esource-depots

Indicating interesting things on the compass is in progress as far as I know. Although showing your dead body did not came up yet, but that's certainly a good idea.
    I made screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/D1FM7 \o/

Preorder Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think what could work well immersion-wise is to have a scanner that you can use when e.g. holding down a key - this would use power, and would highlight these kinds of items from a certain distance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also fatigue and food/water need tweaking.

Food and water and fatigue need to last about 3 times as long.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the idea of the scanner, I also had that in mind for a while now. But I'd make part of the higher tier suites. Mk2, or even Mk3 as it would make things waay easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alos, i looks like the jetpack upgrades combine backpack upgrades, battery upgrades, and actual flight upgrades.

I really think they should be seperate. So you can upgrade them a bit at a time, without massive expense.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, I was disappointed when the new battery items could not be added to the suit.
    also perhaps a larger backpack upgrade should reduce jetpack effectiveness. I certainly think they should be separate though.

Post Thanks / Like
    There's a battery consumable which works, and a battery pack, which doesn't do anything yet/I can't figure it out.
    I thought it was something we could add to the suit to up the battery capacity.

Nope.

- - - Updated - - -

Also i suggest that the Compact Container be moved down the hierarchy, so we can get it earlier.
    A box is not that complex a thing, and inventory management is a real pain in the early parts of the game.

- - - Updated - - -

And that trees give more biomass (like, double) and that there be an option in the printer to convert Biomass into carbon.
    Charcoal makers have been around since the iron age. It's not complex.

And carbon is included in almost every recipe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also: we need less trees.

I get than generally, any uninhabited planet is pretty much solid forest in the temperate areas.
    Like, europe was one giant forest, back in the day.

But, it makes travel a pain, as it makes jetpack hops dangerous.
    And when we get vehicles up and running, it's going to make travel nearly impossible.

So i suggest tweaking the biome generation to default to grassland with occasional stretches of forest, that maybe we have to cut a road through, or something.
    That way we have somewhere to drive, when we eventually get vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like
    I disagree with this. The starting biome is a forest, so its kind of expected that it has a lot of trees. And it has dense and less dense areas, it feels quite natural for me.
    Also jetpacking is not that big of a problem. I'm doing shorter jumps between the trees and I'm rarely hitting them while still able to move around fast. Yes, I did hit trees a lot at first, but it only a matter of practicing.

Trees might be an issue when vehicles coming to the picture, but I like the idea that I have to make "roads" through the forest. Doing it by hand would need an insane amount of work, yes, but I'd expect that eventually we'll get vehicle mountable tools. So I'll just weld a cutter to the front of my buggy, hop in and make the road I need. At least that's what I'm hoping for

Also if hovercraft will be introduced, trees won't be an issue anymore

Post Thanks / Like

I get than generally, any uninhabited planet is pretty much solid forest in the temperate areas.
    Like, europe was one giant forest, back in the day.

But, it makes travel a pain, as it makes jetpack hops dangerous.
    And when we get vehicles up and running, it's going to make travel nearly impossible.

So i suggest tweaking the biome generation to default to grassland with occasional stretches of forest, that maybe we have to cut a road through, or something.
    That way we have somewhere to drive, when we eventually get vehicles.
    No, we don't need less trees at all. I agree with fura on this one. I really don't need another game with empty uninteresting worlds, I've got plenty of those by now. Planet Nomads is well balanced in the biomedical and they are done well enough to make them interesting for the Explorer, but they do not get in the way of gameplay. As for traveling with vehicles, there is room enough to navigate, though you may need to find a path to travel.