Thread: [HIGH PRIORITY] - Stuttery game play

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

[HIGH PRIORITY] - Stuttery game play

Game Version: 0.4.2
    Simple Description: Game play is stuttery.
    Detailed Description: Right now, I get stutters in the game play. Id estimate every 1 second there's a "hiccup". Initially, this didn't seem too bad, but over an hour it gets Really annoying. This "stutter" becomes incredibly prohibitive once you get in your cryopod and take a nap. The entire game starts acting like its running on a Pentium2. This is in Windowed Mode @ 1600x900.
    I repeat the same process in Full screen, and see the same momentary "Stutter" during game play, but snoozing in the Cryopod is far less "jerky".
    I have played with the "detail" levels in the settings and the Stuttering remains.

Reproducibility: Every time
    How to Reproduce: Play the game.
    Any additional information:
    Log file:
    DXdiag: http://pastebin.com/nfSNQv6Z

Post Thanks / Like
    I am also experiencing the same thing. I am getting some low fps

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    GTX970, 30 fps with occasional drops to 15

Post Thanks / Like
    Runs smooth here, GTX 750 Ti 2Gb, 16Gb of ram in the machine and even streaming the game to a laptop. I'm wondering if this is a unity problem, since I've seen this in more unity games. They run pretty well on older cards, but have framerate issues on higher end and newer cards.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an evga gtx 1070 ftw
    i5-6500
    16gb ram

I've been watching my cpu usage stay at 100% usage while playing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for everyone's experience. Let's see what happens when the optimization patch kicks in.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Preorder Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, do you think this might be connected to terrain removal? In the first few hours of the game I was only removing surface rocks, and everything was fine (on Ultra setting). But after I first mined (i.e. removed significant amounts of terrain) the game started to stutter quite a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also experiencing low framerates/stuttering..

Running on AMD FX8350, Sapphire R9 390x and Corsair Vengenance DDR3 32gb 1600MHz (I know the ram is getting old)
    The CPU load was on version 4.2 constantly at 99-100%, this seems to have dropped to 45-70% on update 4.3.
    The GPU load on 4.3 however is now constantly at 85-100%, so it seems the roles have switched. (Dont remember the GPU load on 4.2...)

Anyways, I have set everything to the lowest settings, still experience lagging/stuttering every few seconds.
    Unfortunately this makes the game "unplayable" for me, as I really really detest stuttering (First world problem-brat, I know)
    And no, my system has not struggled on other games thus far, even though some of the components are outdated and/or not "high end"

Any Ideas as to how to smooth this up on my end? some settings I might change? I really want to test this game, and give proper feedback on the game mechanics, as I have been looking forward to this game, alpha and pre-alpha since I first stumbled over it on Kickstarter. It looks absolutely stunning, and I properly enjoyed building, and driving the vehicles in the alpha!

Cheers!
    - Noob Nomad

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrispah View Post
    Also experiencing low framerates/stuttering..

Running on AMD FX8350, Sapphire R9 390x and Corsair Vengenance DDR3 32gb 1600MHz (I know the ram is getting old)
    The CPU load was on version 4.2 constantly at 99-100%, this seems to have dropped to 45-70% on update 4.3.
    The GPU load on 4.3 however is now constantly at 85-100%, so it seems the roles have switched. (Dont remember the GPU load on 4.2...)

Anyways, I have set everything to the lowest settings, still experience lagging/stuttering every few seconds.
    Unfortunately this makes the game "unplayable" for me, as I really really detest stuttering (First world problem-brat, I know)
    And no, my system has not struggled on other games thus far, even though some of the components are outdated and/or not "high end"

Any Ideas as to how to smooth this up on my end? some settings I might change? I really want to test this game, and give proper feedback on the game mechanics, as I have been looking forward to this game, alpha and pre-alpha since I first stumbled over it on Kickstarter. It looks absolutely stunning, and I properly enjoyed building, and driving the vehicles in the alpha!

Cheers!
    - Noob Nomad
    Turn off AA, that'll create a significant boost in performance. See if that's enough. You can lower shadows one tier since you won't notice them very much during game play. I have yet to test out planet nomads with the new patch though. My cpu is still running at 100%

After playing I can confirm that my cpu usage has went down but my gpu usage is now at 100% cpu is around 70 to somewhere in the 90's though. Seems to use up 20% of vram.
    Last edited by solo; 30-03-2017 at 01:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by solo View Post
    Turn off AA, that'll create a significant boost in performance. See if that's enough. You can lower shadows one tier since you won't notice them very much during game play. I have yet to test out planet nomads with the new patch though. My cpu is still running at 100%

After playing I can confirm that my cpu usage has went down but my gpu usage is now at 100% cpu is around 70 to somewhere in the 90's though. Seems to use up 20% of vram.
    Unfortunately, the AA was already turned off. Everything is either turned to off, or the lowest setting, still very stuttering I'm afraid :(

EDIT: After some more testing, it would seem that the stuttering does not depend on the graphics settings, as the camera freezing/stuttering seems to be unaffected by the changes I do.. (The "smoothness" was just the same in "low/everything off" as it was on "Ultra", except for the fact that the game looked better, there seemed to be little or no FPS or stuttering difference)
    Perhaps it is something else in the Unity engine or elsewhere in the game that does not cooperate well with my system/components?
    Last edited by Chrispah; 01-04-2017 at 01:52 PM.

Preorder Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately, the AA was already turned off. Everything is either turned to off, or the lowest setting, still very stuttering I'm afraid :(

EDIT: After some more testing, it would seem that the stuttering does not depend on the graphics settings, as the camera freezing/stuttering seems to be unaffected by the changes I do.. (The "smoothness" was just the same in "low/everything off" as it was on "Ultra", except for the fact that the game looked better, there seemed to be little or no FPS or stuttering difference)
    Perhaps it is something else in the Unity engine or elsewhere in the game that does not cooperate well with my system/components?
    From what I know, it's quite common issue in game development, especially in pre-optimized games, that the game performance becomes very heavily affected by cache misses, which causes the CPU to spend huge amounts of time waiting for memory reads (this issue is the main appeal of using data oriented design practices instead of object oriented).

It's pure speculation, but maybe you're being affected a bit more by this due to the older generation RAM...? Although, if you're sensitive, I suspect that you'd find my frame rates unacceptable too; I didn't check, but pretty sure that it doesn't exceed 20-25 FPS in 1440p resolution (with Core I5-6600 and GTX 1060).

Does that "lagging/stuttering every few seconds" happen in a very sudden and pronounced way, e.g. the game stops or slows down very heavily for a moment, and then it's fine again? Or is it more distributed in time?

Post Thanks / Like
    For me it will stutter when moving around, it will stutter when using the jetpack, it will stutter randomly. It can stutter while going to sleep too, but then becomes more smooth. It is very noticeable, nothing subtle about it.It happens for a few seconds and stops, then starts again later

Preorder Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by solo View Post
    For me it will stutter when moving around, it will stutter when using the jetpack, it will stutter randomly. It can stutter while going to sleep too, but then becomes more smooth. It is very noticeable, nothing subtle about it.It happens for a few seconds and stops, then starts again later
    The "moving around" and "using the jetpack" stutter sounds like something that occurs when the engine mutates the set of gameobjects which are currently present in the scene – i.e. when the game is loading and unloading the terrain/vegetation data, and doing the actual spawning and despawning of the objects in Unity3D. Which relates to the above point concerning cache miss and data locality issues.

Anyway, my speculation doesn't exactly help with anything. I'm curious though what will be the analysis of the devs, and how will they intend to solve it; I'd be excited to read a blog post about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GaborB View Post
    From what I know, it's quite common issue in game development, especially in pre-optimized games, that the game performance becomes very heavily affected by cache misses, which causes the CPU to spend huge amounts of time waiting for memory reads (this issue is the main appeal of using data oriented design practices instead of object oriented).

It's pure speculation, but maybe you're being affected a bit more by this due to the older generation RAM...? Although, if you're sensitive, I suspect that you'd find my frame rates unacceptable too; I didn't check, but pretty sure that it doesn't exceed 20-25 FPS in 1440p resolution (with Core I5-6600 and GTX 1060).

Does that "lagging/stuttering every few seconds" happen in a very sudden and pronounced way, e.g. the game stops or slows down very heavily for a moment, and then it's fine again? Or is it more distributed in time?
    I guess the best way to show you what I mean by stuttering is to show you a recording: https://plays.tv/s/LD3luM52mRFP
    Like I said; this happens regardless of my tinkering with graphics settings. And yes, I do suspect this might be caused by the old DDR3 RAM :( *Insert picture of empty wallet here*

Preorder Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess the best way to show you what I mean by stuttering is to show you a recording: https://plays.tv/s/LD3luM52mRFP
    Like I said; this happens regardless of my tinkering with graphics settings. And yes, I do suspect this might be caused by the old DDR3 RAM :( *Insert picture of empty wallet here*
    Wow, that's some pretty severe stuttering. No wonder you're saying it's unplayable. :( Not sure if the difference between DDR3 and DDR4 could explain something that severe under any circumstance; I'd think no (but I'm not really a hardware guy).

It seemed that it got much worse when you started to move around with the jetpack – but even before that it appeared to stutter, when you were just turning around standing at the same place. I wonder what the devs will say about it.

I have an old computer with I5-2400 and GTX 750 (and of course DDR3 RAM); maybe I'll try the game on it just to see how does it run.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GaborB View Post
    Wow, that's some pretty severe stuttering. No wonder you're saying it's unplayable. :( Not sure if the difference between DDR3 and DDR4 could explain something that severe under any circumstance; I'd think no (but I'm not really a hardware guy).

It seemed that it got much worse when you started to move around with the jetpack – but even before that it appeared to stutter, when you were just turning around standing at the same place. I wonder what the devs will say about it.

I have an old computer with I5-2400 and GTX 750 (and of course DDR3 RAM); maybe I'll try the game on it just to see how does it run.
    Well I'm not that much of a pro when it comes to hardware, or software for that matter.. My hardware (most of it anyways) is pretty old, but it can run games like withcer 3, GTA5 ect on hig or ultra with decent fps (never tried to measure it, but I do notice when it gets below 40-ish, (I think))

This stuttering might be because of something on my end, so I'm not gonna say its PN's fault, but yeah.. I CAN test game mechanics like this. but its really frustrating :(

Kickstarter Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm having stuttering issues too. Granted, I'm maxing out the options, but I never had a problem with other games. My video card is an AMD Radeon RX 480 with 8GB of VRAM.