Thread: A little thing that bugged me during the trailer...

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

A little thing that bugged me during the trailer...

I love the new trailer, with the simple exception of one phrase being used...

"Dehydration Level".

I don't know why this bugs me so much. I think it would make more sense if it were "Hydration Level". It would be like having a health-meter on your player that is titled "Death" and you'd be shown the percentage dead you are...

Did this bug anybody else or am I crazy?

Well, I know the answer to that, since I'm answering myself... "Yes" and "Yes".

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't think of it until you mentioned it. The thing is, if I am an EMT or self-describing my condition, I would say, "They are dehydrated," or "I am dehydrated." Sometimes, rarely, you will hear something like, "You need to stay hydrated." So it can go both ways, but I definitely hear the term 'dehydrated' a lot more. And 'dehydrated' is the condition you want to avoid. There's probably a wide range, if you were to measure it, where you are 'hydrated,' and then below that range, you are at some level of dehydration. (I'm talking about real life.)

So one way to think about it is that you could hydrate up, and then it would take some time before you become 'dehydrated'. Then you would become increasingly more dehydrated until you die. How they chose to show that could be where it only tracks your dehydration level (not how hydrated you are, but when and how much you drop below a good level), or they could show the full scale, from over-hydrated (because that is actually possible IRL, and you can even harm or maybe kill yourself that way) all the way down to dying of thirst.

So because there is an actual range and state of being properly hydrated, and a range and state of being dehydrated to some degree, then I don't see the problem with having a Dehydration meter. But while on the subject, it would be nice if you become slow and perhaps have a lowering encumbrance level (ability to carry weight), so you would have to drop stuff to continue walking. Like at 10% above death or something, it gets really bad, and thus you would need to avoid getting to that state.

Another reason to be nomadic or have a vehicle: Some biomes have no water, and the only way to get it in that biome is to bring it in, or use an atmospheric water condenser that is big and needs lots of power to be able to get enough water in a reasonable amount of time in order to keep you from dying there.

If not, I hope they purposely put in modding hooks from the beginning for these kinds of things so that modders can create these kinds of tougher survival mods. They'll all be called "Immersive" of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Points taken. I still think of it the other way around in my head, but you have valid points there.

Here's the dictionary definition:

Definition of dehydration: the process of dehydrating; especially: an abnormal depletion of body fluids

So, does dehydration need to be shown as a measure of the rate of dehydrating?

I'm pretty sure we're overthinking this now...
    Last edited by dougm; 28-01-2016 at 06:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by melaasd@gmail.com View Post
    Points taken. I still think of it the other way around in my head, but you have valid points there.

Here's the dictionary definition:

Definition of dehydration: the process of dehydrating; especially: an abnormal depletion of body fluids

So, does dehydration need to be shown as a measure of the rate of dehydrating?

I'm pretty sure we're overthinking this now...
    nothing else to do at the moment. ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is probably technically correct but at least in American english, it would never be stated that way. It is always put forth in terms of hydration levels, not level of dehydration.

Also the bar for dehydration would be going UP wouldn't it? as you lose more hydration? This would be in direct contrast to a Hydration bar which would go down as you lose hydration, like a health or stamina bar which would go down.

So it looks abnormal to me too, but it's probably just a regional thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I see in the video that it the suit voice says "Dehydration level critical." That makes sense to me, at that point, though it works with "Hydration," too. But then it says "Dehydration level normal," after administering nutrients. I agree that that sounds weird in English, spoken out that way, but then maybe it is referring to a "Dehydration" meter, so it could make sense, too. Except it does look like the meter is actually a Hydration meter. ;)

Meters can go either way, but it does seem more intuitive that if you are measuring something, whatever you call it, then a higher level on the meter means you have more of that thing. So Hydration at 0% is equal to a deadly Dehydration level.

BTW, according to my wish, they already had this posted on the blog:
    Being hydrated is similar to being well fed – you don’t lose stamina and regenerate health. Conversely, thirst increases stamina drain. Good hydration affects your thermo-regulation and helps combat the negative effects of unsuitable temperatures.
    Sounds like fairly advanced survival simulation.

Kickstarter Hologram Nomad eriongtk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hydration
    0 = raisin
    100 = all good

Dehydration
    0 = all good
    100 = raisin

To me at least.

Kickstarter Precious Nomad glek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never noticed it until now, but I have to agree. Hydration level makes more sense to me, at least with the way the meter was displayed in the trailer.
    "And so I close realizing the end has not yet been written" - Atrus, Myst, 1992

Post Thanks / Like
    It could be "Dehydration level"- is critically high. Who knows!
    It's quite funny all the discussion this sparked up

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad CosmicTony's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's amazing that we can say, "level of Dehydration" and it can mean something different to saying, "Dehydration level". The first being, my hydration is lowering, the second being a measure of actual dehydration.

In actual fact "Dehydration Level" should refer to affects around you, rather than a personal level. i.e. This environment will increase a dehydration rate against your hydration level. ;)
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    English is a mess :P
    example: I'm within a house. I'm without a house.

On topic. If the bar says dehydration when the bar reaches full, you should be fully dehydrated.

Kickstarter Precious Nomad glek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nost View Post
    English is a mess :P
    example: I'm within a house. I'm without a house.

On topic. If the bar says dehydration when the bar reaches full, you should be fully dehydrated.
    And let's not mention the difference between "then" and "than". I still sometimes mix the two up if I'm typing too quickly.

Anyway, I'm in agreement. If the meter says "Dehydration", I think it should indicate your level of dehydration, meaning a fuller bar is worse.
    "And so I close realizing the end has not yet been written" - Atrus, Myst, 1992

Post Thanks / Like
    One piece of editing we thought could get away with. The bar is hydration (the more the better), but the warning is about dehydration. It makes sense but it can get confusing, true that. Although I wonder what it would mean if she said hydration level critical... whether you were about to wet your suit or what.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dougm View Post
    I love the new trailer, with the simple exception of one phrase being used...

"Dehydration Level".

I don't know why this bugs me so much. I think it would make more sense if it were "Hydration Level". It would be like having a health-meter on your player that is titled "Death" and you'd be shown the percentage dead you are...

Did this bug anybody else or am I crazy?

Well, I know the answer to that, since I'm answering myself... "Yes" and "Yes".

Yep!

Bugged me too!

It's a little like swapping 'health' for 'wounds' and still having full bar = good.

Or swapping 'money' for 'not-brokeness'