Thread: New Member With Hopeful Expectations!

Post Thanks / Like

New Member With Hopeful Expectations!

Hi all... new member here with some hopeful expectations.

I've tried so many of these types of games varying from one end of the spectrum to the other in hopes of finding one that just scratches the itch I've been having. I really want a good building game with tons of freedom. I really like voxel construction and deconstruction but I don't just want to feel like I'm building with no real goal other than "survival".

Planet Explorers was one of my favorites for this simply because you can really make anything... within reason of course. No Man's Sky had/has a lot of potential with the latest "foundation" update... But I'm not a big fan of having only prefabs to build with. Not to mention I hate the fact that I can't have a home base on more than one planet in that game. Osiris seemed good but it just falls short in too many aspects and still feels like an early alpha to me. I also love the idea of procedurally generated worlds considering that it gives you that random aspect that keeps things potentially fresh and exciting... I understand that it can affect the depth of a game because of that randomness, but I'm confident that a happy medium can be found. Space Mechanics just wasn't my thing... can't put my finger on it but I didn't feel satisfied when I built something there like I did in Planet Explorers. Ark was brilliant but a touch too gritty and didn't scratch the sci-fi itch. Also, I think they allowed the users to have too much control over the world settings.

I've watched several videos about Planet Nomads and it seems to be reaching for that sweet spot that I haven't been able to scratch. I'm going to be waiting for EA to give it a chance so that some more of the kinks can be worked out. But, I really can't wait to get my hands on the game. Also, I hope that there will be more color variations for the blocks or at least make them paintable. Kind of visually boring otherwise. For now, I'll just play around with the builder demo. Look forward to seeing how the game and community progresses!

Post Thanks / Like
    @JUNKASAURUS Thanks for the reply. I thought the closed access thing being unlocked meant that anyone would be able to try the alpha, unfortunately, once the timer ended on the main site, it just changed to an amount funded. So, now I'm just assuming it was just for the alpha access thing you have to pay for. I'm not quite ready to drop $40 on an alpha just now, especially with Christmas around the corner. The timer finished about 6 hours ago on the site I think. Maybe more... hoping they just haven't put the link up yet. If not, I'll just have to wait.

As far as the expectations go, I barely scratched the surface. I'm a former programming instructor and have been messing with game design (on PC and mobile) and modding for about 20 years and have alpha/beta tested everything from major AAA titles to RPG Maker games lol Not saying that it's a reason to let me in the alpha, but just a bit about my background. I'm sure I could make a massive post outlining what I would like to see in this type of game, but I do like the direction I see for the most part. That being said, I'll probably make a new topic for that. Not sure I'll ever see a game that has everything I want in it, that would be a pipe dream... but potentially, this can come close.

Also, if I'm missing a magical link to get the alpha, let me know!

EDIT: Seems just clicking on either of the alpha items in the store leads to a 404 page, so I couldn't get the alpha through purchase anyway. At least not until they fix it.
    Last edited by Soryn; 13-12-2016 at 03:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty awesome stuff. Looking forward to getting my hands on it! Also, I just posted a bit more in depth in the general discussion forum.