Thread: An alternative transportation system?

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad JUNKASAURUS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking An alternative transportation system?

I'm sorry. This thread is no longer relevant. You can view my current thread here.
    Last edited by JUNKASAURUS; 04-02-2017 at 02:16 AM.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome idea!

Post Thanks / Like
    Over sixty hours spent in already? Amazing! I'm wondering if adding suspensions into your design would eliminate the jittering.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's less jumpy with suspension. For mine I've used 4 wheels with suspension in a line and 2 wheels on each side without suspension to keep the thing on the rail.
    100% linux gaming

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    The support beams are a problem with my current design, although I have 2 ideas I can try to work around that. Curves are another problem because we can do 45 turns or maybe 25.5 with a lot of helper blocks. The last problem is the planet surface. I'm sure it's impossible to build a mono all around the planet because you'd have to split the rail into segments that are separate but close enough to each other so the mono doesn't crash between the segments.

And the biggest problem: loading the game with my mono drops it from the rail.

First idea:

I guess you can call it "inverted car". Simple design, support beams no problem.

Second idea would be a mono that is over the rail on all sides, basically a car with wheels close to the center line instead of outside. But in that case a simple car would be much easier to build, maintain balance and... doesn't need prebuild rail.
    Last edited by Caleon; 13-09-2016 at 08:32 PM.
    100% linux gaming

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe could use hinges between segments to have softer curves and curve with the planet.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I would try not to tightly constrain the guide to the rail, to help with the jitter.

Post Thanks / Like
    ...and how difficult it is to work with hinges. I'm having a hard time visualizing how you would link segments between supports with that limitation. I can visualize a track, but not how to make it.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    We can't lock or limit hinges so it's near impossible to build an up-down-rotator because it starts to rotate down as soon as you add the first block. If we could place our own prefabs (hint/wishlist) we might be able to link it to the hinge and to the ground via some snap functionality (hint).
    100% linux gaming

Post Thanks / Like
    So this topic gave me an idea, but haven't got time to playuntil now unfortunately. So firts I came up with this:

Worked fine until is started to add curves to the rail. The "steering wheels" are too far ahead, so it turns eraly and derails :/

Then I bult a smaller one, with a differenc concept:

This seems to be more stable, but still has issues in curves :( I just cant find the way to build the rails far enough from each other to allow the horizontal wheels to fit, but not too far, so it doesn't derail.
    I made screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/D1FM7 \o/

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, looks very good now. I can imagine it not doing curves well, you need a more gradual curve for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a few things in mind to solve it, but I got a bit tired that I have to rebuild the car after every reload. When I'm loading the map, the suspension goes mad for a bit and the car derails :(

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd love to see something like these things where you drive on and it rotates the car for you. Like what they use for turning trains around

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazbat View Post
    I'd love to see something like these things where you drive on and it rotates the car for you. Like what they use for turning trains around
    That's one thing I have in mind, but it's not really possible to automate it yet. Still, I'll try to build one

Kickstarter Unique Nomad Nomad Dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    done a version 1st draft were up hill and down hill works now also on with getting it around corners nearly there. ;)

Wazbat say's "Oh Nomad Dave isn't affiliated with Planet Nomads or Craneballs" witch is very true all I have is the game

Post Thanks / Like
    updated and re-designed it can now go up hill down hill across chamfers and around corners job done feel free to copy and improve,(all that and Its a bad day for me LOL)

Wazbat say's "Oh Nomad Dave isn't affiliated with Planet Nomads or Craneballs" witch is very true all I have is the game

Post Thanks / Like
    You better not be in a hurry, but it sure works pretty good now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNKASAURUS View Post
    Now you got to make the car underneath the rail. That is what I was trying to achieve. The other thing is that on my designs it had a support beam. The support beam isn't necessary. For me my support beam served 2 purposes. 1 was for looks. 2 to prevent the glitch that affects very long objects. The shaking. It might not do it, but I was afraid it would.

When I was building my monorail I also thought that heavy objects would bend at long distances, much like when you make a chain of hinges or rotors. Another thing I still don't know is if objects disappear when you go too far from them. I was afraid that would happen if I made no support beams.

So a monorail that hangs was the idea. The reason is because you can then use it to carry objects from the ground.

I'm home early today because I'm sick, but I won't be able to upload the other videos until I get better.

- - - Updated - - -

The hinge in the front is very smart!

what about the one at the back is that one dumb lol, the only way I can get it to articulate around the corners is to hinge every axel I made a longer one but it started with the shakes then flew off to space "god dam it not again" I think a 3 axel design will work the best and I'm just going to put some outriggers on and sling the cockpit under, happy days its all done and working just need to render and upload its also got 2x carry spaces on the back just for you.

video uploading it will work soon as its uploaded thanks for waiting....(bloody talk talk.)

Last edited by Nomad Dave; 29-09-2016 at 09:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually sent a second message which didn't get posted.

"I just rewatched your video Dave. That hinge idea is very cool. Can you go really fast around curves? That area you're in is really nice, I want to go there."

Why your videos take so long to upload? Are you on dial up or paper cups? XD

When I first saw your vid I did not notice the hinge on the back.

I'm glad you guys are working on this, I've been too busy with all the other projects. And I've been sick today so that didn't help. I want to start working on my next project. I really am hoping that other nomads start working on getting the flight to work properly.

I'll try to show other stuff tonight.

try to put the flight mechanism on your monorail.
    my provider keeps disconnecting my internet we had some bad weather (3 weaks ago) and there blaming that when in reality there cheep and crap I'm getting fiber in 2 months "cant weight" when my other video gets uploaded you will the top speed I I'm working on another design mark 9.5 witch I hope stabilises the "wiggle affect" when going straight to increase speed and stability.

ps hope you get well soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wazbat View Post

hum just noticed this post, I take it you mean a "turn table"

I'm sure I can do that
    Last edited by Nomad Dave; 30-09-2016 at 01:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to Dave for pointing me in the direction of this thread, I know just the right use for all this footage

Edit: Also fura's imgur screens are rad! Will post them too.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maslostroj View Post
    Edit: Also fura's imgur screens are rad! Will post them too.

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL!
    Neat. Did you draw that?
    Naah, I'm a google wizard :P