Thread: [MED PRIORITY] Slow vehicles

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

[MED PRIORITY] Slow vehicles

Game Version: 0.3.2
    Simple Description: slow vehicles.
    Detailed Description: since the update my vehicles go very slow. They do not slide anymore, but the majority of the time they're awfully slow. Once in a while they suddenly go really fast for a few moments, but most of the time they stay under 20kph. Setting the wheel speed doesn't matter, neither does adding or taking away generators. Video:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...GNTOHpZcFZLZkE

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Ben,

is there a part in the vid where they go really fast? Couldn't find that moment. I know you are an experienced builder, so don't take this wrong, but is there any chance all wheels are accidentally wired to a single generator?

Also are these saves from the original version or do fresh vehicles behave the same?

Also cool trike!
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    Fresh vehicles. I've build a few vehicles by now and they all behave the same and I don't think I all wire them wrong The really fast isn't on the video indeed, I always miss that moment, it just takes a couple of seconds. I'll be starting up the game in a few minutes and I'll build a new vehicle and drive it, while recording. I also will check out an older scene (if I still have it) and see what will happen.

Also cool trike!
    Thanks
    Last edited by Benjamin (ShadowFlightBA); 12-09-2016 at 08:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the top speed has been greatly reduced now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the new video. It has 3 parts. Loading the original starting position on the planet with my first vehicle. It works and is fast enough. I also do build a new one in that part. Works fine. Second part of the video I'm going to my current position on the same planet. It's on the opposite side of the planet actually. Vehicles are slow, even newly build ones. Third part is starting a new planet (with the same seed), vehicles work.... awesome.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...G9TRTNSU1phY0E

Here's the odd thing. First part the small buggy works okay, second part it is really slow, third part it is lightning fast. Same seed in the planet, same vehicle, inconsistent behavior. First part and third part difference could be the terrain, not sure if that influences the speed and grip of a vehicle. As for the second part, the terrain is the same as the third part, but on the opposite side of the planet. If I think back about my journey, I started somewhere up north, went all the way down south to the pole, Vehicles were fast before the south pole. When getting to the other side of the planet, I had to build a new vehicle since I had to leave the other one behind. That's when they started to get slow.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does it depend on the direction you drive?

Random guess: going north = uphill, south = downhill, east/west flat terrain? Without considering the actual terrain ofc.
    100% linux gaming

Post Thanks / Like
    After v0.3.2 I've immediately started a new world and I noticed the reduced speed as well. I used a slightly different setup for my rover in the new world, but the basics were the same, 6 wheels on slow, 3 generators to fully power the wheels, and the weight of the rover is approximately the same (I guess ).
    I started to travel south that time, but later I drove around in every direction, and the speed was the same. So I don't think the case is what Caleon suspects.
    The type of terrain makes some difference, but while I was able to drive on flat, grassy terrain around 50 Km/h (sometimes even more) before the upgrade, now I barely reach half of that speed.
    I made screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/D1FM7 \o/

Post Thanks / Like
    The direction doesn't matter. As you can see in the video, it's slow on flat terrain, even slower on sloped terrain. Could time have something to do with it? Part 1 doesn't have to many hours played, part 3 is new and seems to be fine, part 2 of the video is my ongoing game, must have at least 8 hours in it. I'm still doing some testing to see if I can see anything that influences speed somehow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Started fresh, build a new vehicle, drives fine: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...VNKZlM1SjFydXc top speed.

Notice what happens after a while..... https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...19qbGo2aTBUTDg (you don't need to watch the whole 14 minutes to get that). I'm now going from west to east, this happens after driving about 1.5 hours: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...WFsUW9Sd3RFVTg

On the way I had climb some hills and after a while the physics engine seems to think that I'm still on a slope, even if I'm not. The speed in the second video should match the first, but it doesn't, not even on flatter terrain or going down hill.
    Last edited by Benjamin (ShadowFlightBA); 14-09-2016 at 10:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    But that starts out with you only reaching 60kph on a downward slope. That's still slower than what we used to get with one generator per wheel. I thought we were getting +80Kph. Not that we have to get that speed with a given setup, but it was faster than what we have now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaycephus View Post
    But that starts out with you only reaching 60kph on a downward slope. That's still slower than what we used to get with one generator per wheel. I thought we were getting +80Kph. Not that we have to get that speed with a given setup, but it was faster than what we have now.
    Sorry, should have added the initial video as well, here it is.... full speed: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...VNKZlM1SjFydXc

Added it to my previous post as well and edited it correctly.

Kickstarter Unique Nomad Vicizlat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am getting consistent cruising (smashing bushes and avoiding obstacles)speeds of 40-60 kph. Even when all my RAM was gone (after about 4 hours of driving) I didn't notice a slow down in the vehicle speed. With perfect terrain conditions I've been able to go up to 120 kph.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicizlat View Post
    I am getting consistent cruising (smashing bushes and avoiding obstacles)speeds of 40-60 kph. Even when all my RAM was gone (after about 4 hours of driving) I didn't notice a slow down in the vehicle speed. With perfect terrain conditions I've been able to go up to 120 kph.
    Strange, as you can see I get the opposite. I haven't even driven 4 hours in one go, only 2 hours at the most. It not like when I play another day the vehicle suddenly goes fast again, once it's slow, it stays slow. I'm starting to wonder if elevation has something to with this.