Thread: Additional Block Shapes

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Additional Block Shapes

I know more block shapes are coming, but even the block shapes in the pre-alpha Block Editor were fewer than I would like.

Interstellar Rift is a block-building space-ship game in alpha that has a fantastic block building component for space-ships. For one, you define internal block shapes to build an air-tight ship. Then you can build inside of that with internal functional blocks and decorative items. And then you use external functional blocks and armor-shape blocks on the exterior of the ship to complete the build-design.

I'm not suggesting that the same build scheme be used, but I would like to point out their large array of block shapes, which permit a high degree of creativity without much restriction:

NLM6OP3.jpg

In the above image, I copied images of the armor blocks from the block library and posted them all in the screen shot of a starter ship. BTW, the bottom right strip of items are wall decorations for building the interior design of a ship. I would like to see more of this kind of variety of block shapes in Planet Nomads, eventually. Not necessarily the internal wall decor, though that would be nice, but just the variety of structural blocks for building in general. You can see how nice of a ship design you can make with this variety of blocks.

BTW, Interstellar Rift started from the exact opposite corner of development from Planet Nomads, beginning with Multiplayer, and block-building of space-ships. All they have is missions you can do in your ships, space-stations to visit, and multi-player ship battles. Planets can't be interacted with, and there is no FPS component, but ships can be crewed by multiple players, so you can have a kind of frigate vs frigate battle with multiple players. Still very early in development. Their travel through space feels pretty real, for sci-fi games.
    Last edited by Jaycephus; 10-09-2016 at 11:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for bringing this game to our attention. There could be some good ideas there, although I'm wondering why it's so low on the downloads side.

In any case, having this crazy amount of blocks is not the way we want to go with Planet Nomads. While it allows the tiniest details in build, the added value doesn't balance the fact that a player will get seriously overwhelmed by this selection. We're going to a more functional approach to building and having fun with creations rather than being able to recreate things down to the smallest detail. At least in the core version of Planet Nomads. Moders will need to take a look into these detailed blocks.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    Right, I'm not intending to suggest you put in this huge number of blocks, but being able to smoothly model with the 1x2 type blocks in Planet Nomads would be nice. (There are 1 or 2 more shapes that would help with this, I think.)

Also there is currently no blocks for transitioning an inside corner of rounded concave and convex blocks.

- - - Updated - - -

But that is actually an awesome tid-bit about facilitating modders to add blocks.

Kickstarter Unique Nomad Nomad Dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maslostroj View Post
    Thanks for bringing this game to our attention. There could be some good ideas there, although I'm wondering why it's so low on the downloads side.

In any case, having this crazy amount of blocks is not the way we want to go with Planet Nomads. While it allows the tiniest details in build, the added value doesn't balance the fact that a player will get seriously overwhelmed by this selection. We're going to a more functional approach to building and having fun with creations rather than being able to recreate things down to the smallest detail. At least in the core version of Planet Nomads. Moders will need to take a look into these detailed blocks.
    so with that said dose this mean you will openly be supporting mods to this game? not sure how I feel about that, it works in SE but that is because SE needs the help if you ask me,

if you look at a game like subnautica it dose just fine with out mods, I was rather hoping planet nomads would be the " subnautica of planets and space" rather than a game that is over run with mods that you loos track of and often brake.
    Wazbat say's "Oh Nomad Dave isn't affiliated with Planet Nomads or Craneballs" witch is very true all I have is the game

Post Thanks / Like
    I think mods are really what made Minecraft great. Otherwise it would have only been a moderately successful game, IMO. All my time was spent with industrial type mods making automated systems, and with some of the magic mods that added a lot of interesting weirdness to the game.

It does help a lot if modding is handled well, but I would also like to see a very good base game for those that don't mod it. If all that modding does is permit new decorative blocks, it would still be great.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad Dave View Post
    dose this mean you will openly be supporting mods to this game? not sure how I feel about that,
    rather than a game that is over run with mods that you loos track of and often brake.
    A LOT of folks are still playing Minecraft as VanillaServer- no mods.
    And despite the name, a bunch of them are actually running serverside mods for admin-antigrief.
    I think is great that you can choose what kind of Minecraft game you want to play- Magic, Tech, MMO, FPS... or Vanilla with just some security and added decorative stuff.

Minecraft was indeed the wild west of modding, home of game breaking conflicts.but that was a while ago. Now with folks falling in line with the few API Framework mods (Forge / Buckit* ) things have really calmed down. The conflicts now are more about getting a lot of folks to agree on what kind of modded Minecraft to play- some folks want just a couple low impact mods to enhance the game, while others want a 250 mod pack with guns and spaceships that completely change the game

There are a ton of minecraft mods that add guns.
    I'm not looking for that in my minecraft experience, so I dont play with thos mods. Easy Peasy.
    But I think it is great that a bunch of stuff modders did have been added to the core game by devs at Mojang. I would hope the PN devs wont waste their time on Beekeeping and TreeBreeding, that they focus on the core game... but I also hope some far off day modders will have a PN Bees&Trees mod that players can choose to play with or not

Let modders make a 1000 DecoBlock mod available (later on),
    so devs can spend time on development rather than increasing the cosmetic choices to insanity mode or adding silly things like Bees

Kickstarter Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimbie View Post

Let modders make a 1000 DecoBlock mod available (later on),
    so devs can spend time on development rather than increasing the cosmetic choices to insanity mode or adding silly things like Bees
    I see your point, however I would like to see some simple blocks make an appearance like wood and stone. Not that the metal look is not cool, but from a survival standpoint wouldn't it just make sense to utilise your environment more readily? If it starts snowing and its getting cold wouldn't the simplest survival option be building a fire? If building a platform, wood can be just as effective and may cost less resources. Not to mention the deco element of such blocks.