Thread: [LOW PRIORITY] Tears in terrain after drilling/mining

Kickstarter Builder Nomad sharpshifter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

[LOW PRIORITY] Tears in terrain after drilling/mining

Game Version: 0.3.1
    Simple Description: Tears appear in land surfaces after drilling
    Detailed Description: While drilling away a section of land (roughly 9x7x6 large blocks in size) on the side of a hill in order to make a flat wall, I noticed occasionally there would be a tear in the wall that would allow me to see through and into the structure of the terrain further away. Drilling near the tear would usually fix it. While not a particular problem this high up a wall, my worry would be if it happened on a horizontal surface is there a chance that vehicles and objects could get trapped or lost through such tears, if the tear is large enough.
    Reproducibility: Occasionally
    How to Reproduce: Drill/mine the terrain and move your character around it to expose a tear, or ensure there's a light background, i.e. daytime, as they become more obvious.
    Any additional information: Screenshot:

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got this as well, trying to see how far down i could dig. Character seemed to clip into tunnel wall and could not use drill on visible surfaces. Dropped out of the game into main menu but still there when i loaded back in. Had to load a previous save.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    It can get pretty bad..... https://youtu.be/nDLdRhK1nZs?t=8m28s

Post Thanks / Like
    There are free reasons this is happening.

1) Very occasionally there will be a tear in the terrain, as on the screenshot - which we can fix, but it has to happen on our own machines directly.
    2) What Benjamin posted - with the camera getting "behind the scene" - Thomas has adjusted the camera colliders to improve that, but we'll need a more robust solution (possibly even forcing switches between 3rd person and 1st person camera like other games are doing).
    3) OpenGL issues, where whole chunks are whited-out, which should be fixed by migrating to a higher level Unity.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

I found a hole in the terrain, no digging anywhere near it. I could see clouds through it.
    100% linux gaming