Thread: Alpha Feedback

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

Alpha Feedback

Few hours into the alpha, some feedback:

- Game seems to be subject to some performances issues, probably linked to the amount of rendered objects (tested on Ultra, Medium and Low - Low did improve the performances, but not significantly [running a GTX980, i5-4690K, 16GB RAM])

- I find night to be too dark - driving around using external lamps at nighttime is a nightmare, as 75% of the screen is totally black and the rest is almost white

- Building a vehicle on a non-flat terrain will probably result in some parts being stuck in the ground, although they are technically still attached to the vehicle. This might be a feature but it is extremely annoying, as sometimes the part being stuck does not even touch the ground

- Character can be trapped quite easily between parts of vehicle and will then stays floating in mid-air with the jetpack on, unable to move until one of the parts is removed

- Managed to bring down a tree by ramming it, which caused the vehicle to be stuck in the fallen tree and the game to freeze for 15 seconds

- Was not able to find a vehicle build that would actually be efficient: it seems that wheels lack friction/traction. Sometimes, the car will suddenly reach speeds of 40-50 KPH (decaying fast) but mostly, travelling is about taking forever to climb hills and wondering why you cannot reach 25 KPH on flat terrain

- Extremely dense forests are frustrating. Especially when they are located on a hill. At nighttime. Going around them is tedious, going inside is worse (taking down trees leave holes in the ground that are very hard to drive off)

- Some glowing small plants cannot be ran over or crushed. They will stop the vehicle immediately, rendering most travels in dense forests impossible.

Aside from that, this 0.3 build looks good, future is promising !
    Last edited by AcceSpeed; 28-08-2016 at 11:40 AM.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    More than 25 kph should be easy. How many powered wheels and generators did you use? How much weight did the car have?
    100% linux gaming

Kickstarter Unique Nomad Nomad Dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Caleon View Post
    More than 25 kph should be easy. How many powered wheels and generators did you use? How much weight did the car have?
    Agreed I have build a few cars now all have grate speed see here:- https://forum.planet-nomads.com/thre...t-never-worked

use build vision and drive the car in it if the power lines turn red/orange there overloaded so...add more power as J Clarkson would say.

as for the "- Extremely dense forests are frustrating. Especially when they are located on a hill. At night time. Going around them is tedious, going inside is worse (taking down trees leave holes in the ground that are very hard to drive off)"

just Wight till they add saws and drills that can be added to your inventions I like the dense growth it makes a grate change from SE were your lucky if you see more than 2 tree's together lol

"- I find night to be too dark - driving around using external lamps at nighttime is a nightmare, as 75% of the screen is totally black and the rest is almost white"

we will have to see what road the devs go down been so dark is realistic and will be a nice challenge when the survival mode is added;- I can just imagine my self walking in the dark in the dense woods looking for resources then been savaged by a life form that came out of no were,(new pants please)

I have had no (apart from the one when travaling at 60+kph) performance hits and my system as not as good (settings at default)my rig :- https://forum.planet-nomads.com/thre...pc-master-race

are you running the windows or Linux build? and are your drivers up to date

I do agree with been trapped at times in between the builds you have made I have had it a few times
    Last edited by Nomad Dave; 28-08-2016 at 08:17 PM.
    Wazbat say's "Oh Nomad Dave isn't affiliated with Planet Nomads or Craneballs" witch is very true all I have is the game

Post Thanks / Like

Animals Glitching into Buildings

Gday all,

First I'm sorry if this is in the wrong area I dont usually do a lot on forums.
    I've noticed a lot that the native reptilian animals attack a wall and then all of a sudden are inside with you, not much fun trying to survive in a small 4x4 room.
    this happened quite a few times and at all times but one resulted in death.
    and then you have the re spawn option but then if you re spawn in the location you died in and it kills you again your body de spawns and you cannot recover you gear.
    This not to bad if you have lvl 1 gear or lvl 2 gear but if ya been cracking for while like myself and ya got all lvl 4 gear and boom its all gone it rather annoying especially when the animal is inside and glitched in as well.
    Also the auto save written over on death so there is no way to recover from this issue except you have saved in the last 5 mins.
    Game is Fantastic but this is becoming game breaking for me this will be the 3rd time I've rebuilt all my lvl 4 gear from this glitch and I'm over restarting saves because I'm in survival not build mode and it's really getting boring to rebuild every thing you have just built again.

Dark Cark

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Animal logic (I would not dare to talk about intelligence) is very simple, but their path finding algorithm should not allow them to walk into buildings. However, in case of attack they sometime might ignore this path finding and go mindlessly to you.

Could you provide more information about your case? Animals go straight through the wall? Do you have a video?

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Harrison's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the video:

Unfortunately I reproduced this bug only 1 time for this video, but this is quite a frequent bug if you build a base near the nests.

Post Thanks / Like
    seems to be agro related I had the same experiance with fireflys and a tunnel i dug that was not breaching the surface.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, been there, seen that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad Dave View Post
    Agreed I have build a few cars now all have grate speed see here:- https://forum.planet-nomads.com/thre...t-never-worked

use build vision and drive the car in it if the power lines turn red/orange there overloaded so...add more power as J Clarkson would say.

as for the "- Extremely dense forests are frustrating. Especially when they are located on a hill. At night time. Going around them is tedious, going inside is worse (taking down trees leave holes in the ground that are very hard to drive off)"

just Wight till they add saws and drills that can be added to your inventions I like the dense growth it makes a grate change from SE were your lucky if you see more than 2 tree's together lol

"- I find night to be too dark - driving around using external lamps at nighttime is a nightmare, as 75% of the screen is totally black and the rest is almost white"

we will have to see what road the devs go down been so dark is realistic and will be a nice challenge when the survival mode is added;- I can just imagine my self walking in the dark in the dense woods looking for resources then been savaged by a life form that came out of no were,(new pants please)

I have had no (apart from the one when travaling at 60+kph) performance hits and my system as not as good (settings at default)my rig :- https://forum.planet-nomads.com/thre...pc-master-race

are you running the windows or Linux build? and are your drivers up to date

I do agree with been trapped at times in between the builds you have made I have had it a few times
    Also agree with you guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AcceSpeed View Post
    - I find night to be too dark - driving around using external lamps at nighttime is a nightmare, as 75% of the screen is totally black and the rest is almost white
    This is almost certainly an issue to do with both CONTRAST and GAMMA settings for your monitor.

- Building a vehicle on a non-flat terrain will probably result in some parts being stuck in the ground, although they are technically still attached to the vehicle. This might be a feature but it is extremely annoying, as sometimes the part being stuck does not even touch the ground
    Always, always, always start off a vehicle with a vertical piece that you can later delete without damaging the vehicle itself, and which will elevate ALL of that vehicle completely above the ground. There's even a piece in-game that is purpose designed for this: the Jack.

When you're done, delete the Jack (or whatever you used) and let the vehicle fall to the ground.

- Was not able to find a vehicle build that would actually be efficient: it seems that wheels lack friction/traction. Sometimes, the car will suddenly reach speeds of 40-50 KPH (decaying fast) but mostly, travelling is about taking forever to climb hills and wondering why you cannot reach 25 KPH on flat terrain
    (a) Make sure ALL your wheels are connected to power. Merely being built adjacent to / on a generator does not count. Nor does it cunt to build a Switch block onto the wheel.

(b) Each wheel has a limit to how much it can move. Only the wheels actually touching the ground at any one time, will contribute to moving the vehicle. Which means, if you have a four-wheeled vehicle that weighs 15,000kg, and each wheel can only move 5,000kg .... if you ever wind up with two wheels unable to reach the ground (which can happen on many kinds of terrain), you will slow to a crawl because those two wheels cannot effectively move that much weight.

You can address this by adding more wheels, with a mixture of soft, medium, and hard suspension settings. You can also fix this by putting a [hinge] or [rotor plate] block in the middle of your vehicle, so it can bend or flex over the terrain as you drive.

- Extremely dense forests are frustrating. Especially when they are located on a hill. At nighttime. Going around them is tedious, going inside is worse (taking down trees leave holes in the ground that are very hard to drive off)
    .... this mirrors real-live offroading very very well, actually. ^_^