Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your ideas for making PN better

Post Thanks / Like

As the name suggests, here's the place to put your ideas to display and up for discussion.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it would be cool if we had an option to place tank wheels and then we could make a selection of some wheels and a track would be rapped around allowing for more unique designs, and if you wanted two tracks on one side you could just select a few wheels for the front half, rap a track around them, and select the ones for the rear and repeat to rap it around there. This would allow for a larger variety in tracked vehicle design outside of using a stock wheel layout.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

From the off, the only things I can think that would make this game fantastic (imo) would be multiplayer and workshop content.

Initially, I would love to be able to start this game with my friends, crash together, survive together.

A single server could be used with various worlds generated, and players spawned in different locations - perhaps only meeting up once space flight has been achieved. (or starting together from the off using a group system, perhaps 1-4 players)

However, having a server option which allows players to connect at any time would be great - if I created a base, it would be great if my friends could connect and set up their homes next to mine, perhaps grow into a colony/town, having it walled off with crops growing, or even a merchant system with markets etc.

Certainly with my community, we have various skill levels and having things the low-skilled players can do would be great, like farming/chopping trees/etc, while the higher skilled players can go out shooting/hunting/scavanging.

(Hope this is the right forum for this.)

Thanks, Kippy
    [TATF] www.trainingalliancegaming.com [HS Division Leader]
    SteamID - kippyuk

Post Thanks / Like
    I know that the physics envolved and programming are dificult but why not explore worlds underwater? Maybe even build boats and submarines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Water physics are quite complicated, especcialy if the water can flow, be emptied, etc. Calculating it dynamically when a boat is moving over waves or a submarine takes damaged is quite heavy on the CPU too. Who knows though, it may be possible in the future. It'd be something I'd like to see eventually

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I, personally, am very interested in flight. We got to the planet via spaceflight so we know the tech exists. That is one of the things, in my opinion, that many other survival games miss out on. The ability to continue past the basics of I am now self sufficient, it would be great if we could go further on into the face of the universe and continue needing to work on surviving in the cold depths of the darkness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CradleRobin View Post
    I, personally, am very interested in flight. We got to the planet via spaceflight so we know the tech exists. That is one of the things, in my opinion, that many other survival games miss out on. The ability to continue past the basics of I am now self sufficient, it would be great if we could go further on into the face of the universe and continue needing to work on surviving in the cold depths of the darkness.
    This is something I am interested in as well. I don't want to push tings to far and have them break (Like Space Engineers did with planets), but I am curious what happens after we complete the ship that gets us off the planet. Will we just get credits? I wouldn't be mad at this. Seems like enjoyment is derived from the journey we endure getting the parts. Will we discover what our mission was before we crashed and continue on? This wouldn't be mad, but again I don't want to dream and have it break the game. I'm excited to see where the game goes. I will be here every step of the way rooting Craneballs on. Let's do this!

Kickstarter Early Nomad Turbotobi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to see a simple crafting system, like Minecraft uses, some craft-fields more (6x6) for more complicated things, but at the end a simple system.

And I too vote for COOP/Multiplayer and maybe in the future a Steam-workshop integration to share great mods in the community.

Kickstarter Unique Nomad Vicizlat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, to be honest, Minecraft is a simple game and such crafting system fits it. I believe and hope that Planet Nomads is going to be much more complicated and a simple crafting system will not fit in it.

I am hoping for something that might look similar but would actually be quite complicated and could result in very different builds. And that is some possibility for modular blocks. What I mean by that is the ability to build different modules that will act as one when connected and set-up properly.

And I am not only talking about upgrade modules ala Space Engineers. Imagine you need to build a refinery. But you don't place a single block that is the refinery. You place refining module, a power controlling module, a storage module (you could even go further and separate input and output storage) and so on. Building just one of each required modules will give you a very basic refinery that is slow and ineffective (has a high percentage of loss in the refining process). Building more of certain modules will give higher productivity, effectiveness, power efficiency, storage space or anything else relative to the specific block.
    One step further to this would be if you build too many refining modules, for example, and not enough power controllers it would become under-powered and stop working. On the other hand if you build too many power controllers you might burn out the refining module.
    Same can be done for other builds. The worst case of which would be power generators that might blow up if they become too unbalanced.

Kickstarter Early Nomad Turbotobi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds also great Vicizlat, Iīm also playing more than 4000h "FeattheBeast-Unleashed" MC, with Power Supplies (Atom, Magmatic, Steam....), Machines, Pipesystems and so on, and I really love it(much more complicated than Vanilla MC).

Itīs "simple Minecraft" but with thousands of additions, thatīs what I wanted to say.

"Simple" advanced basic crafting like MC but more options like FTB Unleashed (like you said with your modules.) ;)

Kickstarter Early Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    A customize-able UI. It's something I always want in other games. The ability to hide or move certain elements.

Kickstarter Unique Nomad Elvenwolf's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are several things I have been looking forward that was lacking in many of the voxel survival/building games. Medieval Engineers had one featured I liked but still didn't feel quite right. I like to have variety of hinges, swivels, ropes, (steel)cables and cable systems, pistons (and not the jello piston from SpaceEngineers), gears, tracks, wide variety of rotors (strong ones), etc, pre-designed in the game. So I don't have to worry about Mods which in most cases are not compatible due to bad coding or lack of game engine/coding or simply the modder quit working on it. Oh... did I forget to mention elevator?

Also would like to see in game computers for programming, ranging from simple to very complex, either via programming language or similar to MindRover.

The most fundamental thing that matters to me are power cables.. I hated how SpaceEngineers or ARK managed power distribution. I loved RedPower, ProjectRed, ThermalExpansion Power and EnderIO in Minecraft.

Other than that, I am going to wait to see what PN has to offer or what ideas PN community has.
    May you find water and shade.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have kickstarted or early accessed quite a few survival games. Most of them are severely lacking in enemy AI. Either they are hostile and run at you as soon as you are detected or they are docile and either run away or run at you when hit. Perhaps not procedural generation, but certainly at least a good solid repertoire of behaviors with different triggers eg: sight, smell - ie how many times the player has passed over a particular block and how long ago might leave a trail to your base, different attack patterns and philosophies. Thinking of the first time that playing in games the enemy AI started using cover and flanking or working as a team, even swarming or ambush predators. Terrain assisted attack patterns. Add in some variables and mash it up a bit or if you're really good have the game remember what strategies worked better against players and do a bit of genetic programming with that. Big ask I know but AI is SORELY lacking and hard to do right. Which is why so many games are multiplayer now- humans can quickly detect and exploit AI failures so multiplayer is in lieu of decent AI. Thank god this isn't going to be another zombie survival clone- I might have 600 hours into 7 days to die which is an awesome game, but its AI is very basic and they get away with that because "its zombies right?". You have an opportunity to make a couple of the critters on each planet formidable- not just because they have/do lots of hit points. You want to tackle the REAL difficult issues, give us some variable AI which reacts to terrain and adapts to our behaviour. Make it generic enough so that it can be procedurally randomized. Sure, that will sometimes lead to bizarre behaviour but they're aliens right?

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Maslostroj View Post
    As the name suggests, here's the place to put your ideas to display and up for discussion.
    Hi, today I'll talk about graphics.

When I see the trailer the first time I was amazed about the design ingame. The last trailers in date I've seen disenchanted me a bit (especially when you see two ship who are crossing in the space near a planet orbit): it feel so square ! This is not harmonious .

So my idea is mayby ambitious but could revolutionate this kind of game and get out of the minecraft style which hurt our eyes .

I explain :
    When you build many block (on a ship for example) a combination in term of position of some block could give the choice to be smoothed together to give to the ship (and all other block composed thing) a realistic harmonious look .
    But not only about the shape, it should be harmonized at the texture level too. From many cube texture it'll become a bigger textured piece.

Here an example for the shape idea only :
    example.jpg
    Sorry for this really ugly example but it's just to get a kind of idea of what I mean.
    Sorry for my english and thanks for reading this big block

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Harrison's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I know, that you mean. This system used in the game "Xeno Galaxies".

Examples from the blog:

http://i.imgur.com/UgH83yy.png
    http://i.imgur.com/jxTItwR.png

Kickstarter Precious Nomad glek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I personally don't mind the blocky style, though I think having the option to smooth out the voxels into some kind of (reasonable) geometry wouldn't be a terribly bad thing. The alternative is to give access to a wide selection of blocks with different surface geometries but that could result in a very large number of 'primitive' block types.
    "And so I close realizing the end has not yet been written" - Atrus, Myst, 1992

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    While most of ideas were focused on the content itself i'd appreciate nice sound in points of how immersive it is (especially since you seem to plan to support VR-headsets). To be more exact it'd be nice you don't hardcode merging the sound in stereo/5.1/7.1 but instead think about some kind of interface for handling it.

Since there currently is another kickstarter project that focuses on exactly that (immersive sound, though headphone based, but they develop corresponding software and formats too and are focusing on plugins for game engines) i'd like to link it here for you to decide whether it'd be worthy to collaborate with them as some kind of win-win situation (usecase focused testing & full integration into immersive sound, both hopefully)
    Last edited by Rapus; 21-03-2016 at 05:39 PM.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    From the latest dev post i'm not sure whether it is planned to have minable underground as in minecraft and the nowehere mentioned alpha/beta game Rising World that might be a strong competitor aswell.

Now some ideas i had for the game:
    spherical planets
    Please consider that - especially since you're focusing on realism - to make the planets to be at least "fake-spheres" (only "connected" ends of the world, not entirely different geometry).
    Thus running straight forward will make you being where you started after some time (easiest implementation would be teleports)
    Second target: digging too deep would bring you to the other side of the sphere in case you survive whatever you find down there. (Not that important due to difficult physics since you would need spherical gravitation and force fields)

Size-based gravitation for planets and other outerspace objects; consider to calculate the approximate gravitational force once when the planet is generated based on its mass (and dimensions for surface).

Rotation & day/night-cycle that can be observed from the orbit. Thus also flying/"space-shipping".

Regarding the underwater physics for movement of boats and submarines, i'd say it's somewhat similar to calculation of movement in air and outerspace with increased friction(thus decreased acceleration) and drift (simple mathematics) whilst the decision whether something ascends or decends in water can be simply achieved by using some kind of density. Though this wouldn't solve the problem of pressure (how deep you can go until your submarine squashes) which in turn could be solved by using some kind of stability-index that is stored in the object/vehicle together with some other details like the previously mentioned density all of them could be calculated ahead of time.
    All thoughts regarding underwater mechanics were made under the condition of adequately sized lakes and oceans (thus ignoring local effects etc)

An advanced crafting system(as already stated before) would be very cool.

Some elements from RPGs like slots for "wearables" (head, chest, hands etc), exp, skills/skilltree/development to make not only buildings achievable but instead you first must "learn" to do something (example: microelectronics need special tech thus i need some development first before i'm able to craft such stuff). This gonna be nice once multiplayer is finished since then you can decrease the skill cap so players must decide who focuses on which branch of the skill tree and have an actual ingame reason besides the fun to work and play together.

Advanced weather and forces of nature clearly would be cool. Not just like rain and cloudy etc what usually doesn't have a lot of effect on your world but instead like storms/hurricanes/tornados, earthquakes, tsunamis, vulcanic eruptions and activity etc, maybe even related to each other (of course all controlled by pcg too). It'd make the different planets even more interesting (and dangerous).
    Last edited by Rapus; 22-03-2016 at 10:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Rapus, and welcome to the forum.

Part of working in a small team (10 people on Planet Nomads) is being careful about feature creeps and prioritizing, and nice-to-haves like the sounds merging system, is something that goes on the bottom of the list of features.

Spherical planets is something we already have, now with Sandy 2.0, and they are not fake at all. They have rotational axes, poles. Later down the road, they will have space trajectories and different lengths of days based on their distance to sun(s) (and observable from orbit). The core of a planet is 60 km deep, though, so we're not sure you could get through the whole planet before running out of RAM, definitely looking forward to such a project on Youtube though!

Honestly I'd also like to see varying gravities, and I think the developers can be persuaded towards it too, but it is true there will probably be some hidden implications that will need to be addressed (physics, strength of wheels/propulsion systems, "planet" design, etc.).

I don't know what exactly you mean by advanced crafting system, but I think you won't be disappointed by Planet Nomads.

We want to achieve an RPG feel with technology unlocking - suit and tool upgrades, new building options, etc. Weather as the ultimate foe is something we want to have, but certainly not for closed-alpha, and voxel water (with liquid physics)... oh man, that is the Moby Dick that will take time to catch, but we know about it, and we want to get the harpoons out and go all-out Captain Aheb on it after other core features are in.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Black Desert Online has some pretty amazing graphics effects.

Their rain effect is amazing. The character looks wet, but also the whole game-world, and spots on the ground become muddy puddles. So everything looks wet during and after the rain, with dirt and roads having spots of mud and puddles that disappear a while after the rain has stopped. It's super-effective with the 'immersion' factor.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some way of auto-piloting vehicles.

So we can click on a map and say 'go there'

Or 'follow me' (makes a wagon train)

or 'hover here' (Flying carrier.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Voxel based destruction and damageable blocks like in Space Engineers. BUT BETTER.
    "To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." - Anonym

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maslostroj View Post

Part of working in a small team (10 people on Planet Nomads) is being careful about feature creeps and prioritizing, and nice-to-haves like the sounds merging system, is something that goes on the bottom of the list of features.
    With this in mind, you must have a fairly locked set of feature you're working towards.
    Can we get that feature list please?

In a little more detail than is currently available.

Like: the RPG thing sounds cool, but this is the first i've heard of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't really provide much more than was already said at this point, which is the closed-alpha milestone card covered on Trello and this blog post https://www.planet-nomads.com/2016/0...lpha-features/.

I will have Peter on the next episode of Nomadic Journals though, so there will be more info soon.
    -Raoul Duke

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to see multiplayer too, even if it was more minecraftesque, with the ability to host your consistent world on your own server.