Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Your ideas for making PN better

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi frankysurf,

All translations are pure community/volunteer project. We do not have enough manpower to check all languages. If you think you are eligible to fix errors in French translations, you can send me a PM and I will make you part of translation team so you can directly fix all spelling errors. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Under water... doesn't work
    Today I built a box with a door but even closed there is always water inside ... it will be nice to be make the box
    water-resistant !
    A picture
    https://imageshack.com/a/img924/1198/9Us8FD.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I do think it would be cool if they could add an airlock so we could walk around inside without our suit on, I don’t really desire and underwater buildings.

Although I think it would cool to see someone take a seaside mountain and drill an underwater entrance to an (above the water level) base inside the mountain.
    Having an underground base with only one entrance, and having that entrance underwater, does sound really cool.

I wonder……. if you have a printer crafting hundreds of air tanks, can you receive them via Wifi?
    Last edited by Casual Viking; 15-02-2018 at 06:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankysurf View Post
    Under water... doesn't work
    Today I built a box with a door but even closed there is always water inside ... it will be nice to be make the box
    water-resistant !
    A picture
    https://imageshack.com/a/img924/1198/9Us8FD.jpg
    The game engine doesn't currently calculate whether a structure is capable of being pressurized (i.e. if it's watertight), so underwater buildings aren't really useful at the moment.

There would have to be a whole set of blocks created just to work for underwater building - like an airlock system, for example, to prevent flooding your entire structure every time you opened a door. But, these same functional blocks would also apply to structures in space, so if we ever get to that point maybe they will be added in along the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tonight I send a P.M for u Martin.
    Thx

Post Thanks / Like
    I have two suggestions 1) I had the problem of destroying the terrain around my base because I acidentally kept pressing the left mouse button so a tool that would allow me to refill the holes that I made
    2)To make a 4x4 square block so that you can build faster (basically a bigger block)

PD: some clouds on the sky would be cool
    accidentallyaccidentally

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, i don't know maybe someone asked for it, but could you make an auto-movement for the transports, because when you fly or ride the big blades/wheels on far distances its very boring to hold the forward key. And please make some more items for gold and titan materials, or they are just useless. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
    Initially, I would love to be able to start this game with my friends, crash together, survive together.
    I'd actually like this possibility.

Aside from the real-world logistics of netcode and so forth: picture, if you set a game up to be co-operative from the beginning, instead of a single-person escape pod, you land in a lifeboat (with space for 4, perhaps?). It'd need a small interior space - say, like a building made on just two foundation plates. Door at one end, emergency fabricator and one compact supply crate at the other, and four stasis pods - or rather, four escape pods built into the walls. Each player starts in one of those pods, and the initial exit is into the lifeboat interior. And give it about twice the salvage value of an escape pod - sure, enough for a decent start, but remember you now have FOUR mouths to feed.

I think we'd also need to add "passenger seat" blocks for vehicles, so multiple people can ride at once, with just one driving.

Some of the challenge from hostile creatures might need to be increased, to account for possibly having FOUR people shooting at stuff.

That ... actually that could be pretty awesome. Picture one player being "bait" to lure a ... Godo, the big ones are called? Well, one to lure it into chasing him around, while the other three dash in to grab resources, etc., near it's nest (and/or salvage the nest itself).

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello everybody!
    I have several ideas that will make the game more exciting in survival mode!
    so the gameplay will be better if:
    1. You can make the resources more difficult to mine up.. resources should be only under the ground (some resources under water)
    ...we can find this with the help of radar...
    2. Ocean is lifeless (no fish or crabs) - can be made fishing as a resource of food extraction...
    3. Technologies should not appear automatically, they should be found in the fragments of capsules .. it will make sence in research of planet...
    4. Add the anti-radiation drug in the medical unit...
    5. When uranium is mined, there must be radiation..
    6. Animals can wander around the planet and you need to put a fence from them around the base..
    7. Add modifications to the suit - so you can choose - a heavy suit to protect against radiation and animals but you can not fly .. light suit for flying... etc.
    8. Add the ability to paint a suit like blocks...
    9 . it's ridiculous that we freeze in a high-tech suit... but if the batteries run out then yes - we can freeze..
    - for a suit we need fuel for the engine and batteries for life support systems ..
    10. You can add a meteorite falls or hurricane for hardcore
    -so that the base needed to be built underground..
    11 . In the game we need an important goal - to build a ship to fly away from the planet ..or build a transmitter to send a SOS signal ...or a signal to Earth that people can colonize this planet!
    -we can do several tasks, for example, we built a transmitter to send a signal to the Earth and they give us a task to study alien technology or something else, etc.
    12. I think it will be interesting if you add anaptanium for advanced technologies as in the movie Avatar and also flying rocks
    13.. Monoliths can be portals to other planets - it makes no sense to teleport on one planet for hundreds of kilometers if you can fly in ten minutes ... but a teleport to another unknown planet will be interesting with new conditions or unique resources and there it will be necessary to build a new base. ..
    Thanks
    Last edited by Serge; 05-03-2018 at 11:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    3. A Sensible Tech Tree is the works; I think finding tech in wrecks will be part of it. I think we should have just enough to upgrade our tool to start, and each tool upgrade we gain some more basic blocks. (With better blocks needing to be found.)

8. Suit skins customization is also on their To-Do list, plus new suit models for MK2-4, and rework of main character animations.

13. First stage of Multiplanetary travel will be by teleportation, I’m assuming via the 10th monument. (That is the one with 4-long lights often pictured.)

P.S. A Sensible Tech Tree will likely not be added until they finish updating the block section UI, to make it easier to find blocks.

Post Thanks / Like
    regarding 13.
    Watching some old videos I saw travel through space. Teleportation would be certainly easier but I am afraid that getting too fast to another procedural generated planet, without some other intermediate activity will be less rewarding. I mean alternating activities could prologue the game life.
    I am not sure if I described well what I mean...

- - - Updated - - -

It would be nice if CB would present their opinion too and let people comment, to see what players want.

Post Thanks / Like
    What I envision for teleportation is for everyone starts a Game on a preset new player friendly planet.
    To teleport you will need to find the 10th monument, enter requirements of the planet, moon, or space station that you want to travel to.
    (In the back-ground a custom planet is generated)
    You go about your business and the tower will glow blue when a planet fitting your specs is found.

In RL space travel is dangerous and boring, and if we could build unmanned-rockets that could deliver teleporters to exoplanets there would be no reason for manned space flight.
    So in PN the Aliens could have done that, and the players end game could be to send an unmanned-rocket w/teleport to earth.

Post Thanks / Like
    in RL I am afraid of teleporters
    who knows what they do to you...
    do they kill the original and build copy of you on the other side?
    Is the process controlled by software?
    The space flight is indeed as you say and implementing it in game might require some additional things to make it worth the experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Developers mentioned last year that they were working on a darker biome for a new planet.
    If they have something, I would prefer to get it sooner via teleportation...

Kickstarter Hologram Nomad eriongtk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    HERE is a thread i made about one aspect that could be improved, but here is a few more that would not fit the topic of the thread.

• Allow us to drag and drop multiple blocks at once - useful platforms, walls, etc - Or have a built in array system: "place multiple..." and then enter/choose number of blocks we want in a succession
    • Building Mode could/should have a Mirror mode - 2 or 4 way mirroring! Dream of mine
    • Later technology could allow hologram planning (MK2 or MK3) - we could be able to place down placeholders and either use an upgraded tool to build them or have a specific craftable -mid or higher tier- tool (?) to do the jo

Post Thanks / Like
    Would like to see a hot bar inside the cockpit to control things in my ship.
    Also I want LCD’s to view my inventory or to make signs

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eriongtk View Post

• Allow us to drag and drop multiple blocks at once - useful platforms, walls, etc - Or have a built in array system: "place multiple..." and then enter/choose number of blocks we want in a succession
    Although I’m sure that is being-developed into the “blue-print” feature, it would be great if they could give us a grid drag/drop tool for us to use ahead of getting the full blue-prints feature. Blue-print file sharing is going to be great, but move, copy, and mirror features are good enough to be major features on their own.

More than once I have wanted to move a building a little farther from a tree, a little higher or lower, or shift it because an ore vain shifted.

I’m not sure how east/hard and costly it should be.

Edit:
    Hmmm?
    To move a grid it could require alien-teleport tech, and it would require players to build 4-teleport-post attach them to a grid, and power them to move a grid. and if you have the parts, you can copy.
    Last edited by Casual Viking; 09-04-2018 at 07:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, there.

New to the game and new to the forum. Is there any way for the game to support the use of X-Box controllers? I had a wrist injury a while back, and using the keyboard for long periods of time is rather problematic for me, whereas using the controller poses no issues. If it can be done, how long would that take?
    Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuhuinenna View Post
    Hi, there.

New to the game and new to the forum. Is there any way for the game to support the use of X-Box controllers? I had a wrist injury a while back, and using the keyboard for long periods of time is rather problematic for me, whereas using the controller poses no issues. If it can be done, how long would that take?
    Thanks in advance.
    I had the same problem when I hurt my wrist a few years ago... Ended up using an application that you can run to map keyboard commands to any joystick (including Xbox controllers). If I remember right, the one I ended up using the most was Xpadder, not even sure if it's still floating around anywhere (like I said, it was years ago).

Might be worth a try to find something similar to bridge the gap until controllers are supported directly in game...

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, adding controller support would be a great thing .... I have tendonitis in both shoulders, and the start of arthritis in both wrists. I have to use a brace/support to hold my right arm up, in order to be at the computer for more than an hour or two.

For a lot of games, where I might want to play for 3, 4, 5 hours at a stretch ... being able to use my (wired) XBox360 controller is a LIFE SAVING FEATURE. Or, okay, not life saving, but it certainly helps cut down on my Aleve/Advil consumption rate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Added a lot of ideas on enhancing general gameplay in a separate thread as they are too many to write them in this thread

https://forum.planet-nomads.com/thre...hallenges-high

But I think parts of them fit with some of the ideas voiced here so discussion on these could be done in this thread too

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuhuinenna View Post
    Hi, there.

Thanks in advance.
    A couple of suggestions here:

If you're on Steam, you can configure a controller configuration for pretty much any game (though ease of use varies from game to game). Go into Big Picture mode by clicking the controller icon in the upper right of the main Steam screen, then select Library, the game you want to configure and Manage Game. You'll see Controller Configuration & Controller Options. I use the Steam Controller, but I understand any controller can be used.

Instead of using a controller, pickup a Logitech G13 Gamepad. It's a fully programmable game pad with 24 programmable keys and a controller-style thumb joystick. It has four shift states for a total of 96 programmable keys. It uses the Logitech Gaming Software and is fairly easy to configure. I use the G13 with my left hand and the mouse with my right hand and then only have to use the keyboard for rare functions that I haven't mapped to one of the G13's keys.

Post Thanks / Like
    A simply thingie: altimeter for flyers. Ideally above sea level and above tarrain.
    Some navigation help - add/choose waypoint on global map and then show it on compass bar regardless of distance to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm playing version 0.9.0.4 (??)

It's annoying that we have so little control over the placement of block. The block that we're placing is at a fixed distance from the player, and we cannot move it closer or further away at all! Nor can we freely turn it around at smaller intervals than only that fixed 90 degree angle. That makes building in cramped locations all but impossible.
    Sometimes, there is just no room to move the player to a position where the block will snap to the place where you want it to go.

So, please, allow for more control over the placement of blocks. Give us 15 degree rotation, for example, and allow us to move blocks closer or further away to get them into the desired position.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Suggestions for the game and some bugs

Hello.
    I apologize for my English, I used an automatic translator from the Russian language.
    I have several suggestions for improving the game and immediately note a few bugs I found. Of course, not all of my proposals can match the vision of the game developers, but I hope that they will be able to draw something useful from what I propose.

1. The game world
    On the one hand, it's very good that after creating a game world, you can land anywhere in the moderate band, but I do not have at least a preliminary choice of the hemisphere. Tired of creating a new world 10 times to get to the northern hemisphere at least once. I think it's not so difficult to add.
    Base. I understand that when a player leaves the base area, the processes occurring on the base stop processing. This is excellent from the point of view of optimization, but it is strange that the game does not even try to calculate what was done on the base during the absence of the player on his return. For example, I founded a resource base at the North Pole for zeonite mining using a mountain machine with an empty large container. When I returned there, it turned out that she did not get anything. I think that this is a very big and unpleasant mistake. This needs to be corrected. It is necessary at least to create a stream that, by the amount of time the player will not have, will calculate what should be done on the base during the time of the player's absence.

2. Resources
    On the one hand, I understand why such a clear division of resource zones was made, but on the other hand, one must understand that this is not the right approach. In the real world, this does not happen.
    How do I see the solution to this issue? First of all, you need to make an optional choice of resource mode when creating a new world.
    The second option for the location of resources, I see how the mixing of resource areas. For example, in a temperate climate, resources (deposits, nuggets, crystals) of level 1 (iron, carbon and silicon) can be found with a probability of 75-90%, with a probability of 7-17% - resources of the 2 levels (aluminum, cobalt and silver) and with probability 3-8% - resources of 3 levels (titanium, gold, uranium). The zone of the appearance of Zeonite can still be left at the poles and the equator, and when moving toward them, the chance of finding resources of levels 2 and 3 will accordingly increase.
    In this case, the radar will be especially useful, but about this further.
    Here you can come up with a few more options. But the most important thing is to give the chance to use them all in the game with the help of the corresponding option in the menu for creating a new world.

3. The interface
    Perhaps, now this is the most inferior part of the game, and it is very insulting for it. The game has many important aspects, the display of which is seriously lacking.
    In the game, the climate temperature affects the player in a very serious way. Why can not it be displayed? You can display the temperature simply in the form of numbers, which, for example, change their color from green to red, depending on the effect of temperature on the player, or in the form of a scale with optimal and critical temperatures. Moreover, it is necessary to correct the bugs of the influence of temperature in the rain under the water (the water temperature must be constant within a specific geographical latitude) and a bug in the situation at the equator when the character feels hot and at the same time cold in the rain.
    Air. The costume of the player is a space suit in which, for some reason, there is no information about the remaining air.
    Time / watch. Here I really can not understand why it was impossible to realize a watch. Even in "The Witcher 3", in which we are talking about the Middle Ages, there is a clock with an indicator of the position of the Sun. Here is the absence of hours really strange.
    Very few colors for painting blocks ... Perhaps, is it worth adding a color palette?
    Descriptions. Very poorly written descriptions and principles of the work of the blocks, without the help of the Internet it is not possible to learn how to interact with some of them. Legend is generally not informative and many of them are similar to each other. Many of them I still do not know, especially from the characteristics of the character.

4. Components.
    In general, I am against increasing the number of names of components in the game, because this will increase the cumbersomeness of the Planets Nomads, but now the game clearly misses the components of the 3 level, and instead there is an incomplete 4 level. Hence, there are a lot of problems with the gradation of block levels and the uneven development of the game process.
    In the game must be components of the 3 levels, which would consist of resources 3 levels and below. Therefore, I still have an idea to add another metal to the resources of level 3. Perhaps they will be palladium, iridium or platinum. And in this case, uranium can occur in independent, unalloyed deposits, because it is used only as a source of energy for a uranium generator.
    In the materials of the current level 3 there is a clear imbalance in the use of titanium, although it does not occur more often than gold. It is unpleasant.

5. Blocks. Transport.
    Control. This is generally a complete trouble. You can control all the means of transportation attached to the cab, and all at once. And how about separate control? And what about the searchlight control? I think it makes sense to spy on the "Space Engineers".
    Means of transportation (wheels, hover-block and blades).
    What is the meaning of the Hover Block? It can not be done in the early stages of the game and it does not make sense to do it in the late stage of the game, when the blades appear. I see 2 outputs: remove the components of the Hover-block components of level 2 or move all the blades to a higher level. But, in my opinion, the second option is achievable when implementing paragraph 4.
    The game has blocks of armor. 4x4 square blocks of armor is much easier than the ceiling panel, which is very important for transport, but they are long and difficult to create. When you add large blocks of armor (2x1, 4x1, 4x2, 4x4, ...)?

6. Blocks. Base. Conveyor, containers and blocks of resource extraction.
    The main claim to conveyors in connection with containers is the inability to fill one or more specific containers with specific ones from one or more specific blocks of extraction of resources (metals or water) and not fill the other containers.
    I have an idea to realize this through a connection similar to the connection of energy, i.e. through a special block menu item. Provided that a conveyor connects the resource extraction unit and the container. There were no other ideas.
    In general, a very unpleasant bug is constantly encountered with a mining machine, due to the fact that mine-extracted resources that I have canceled are discarded. That is, if I want to get a container of iron, canceling, for example, carbon, then someday it will fold, and I will fill the container with 50/50 iron and carbon. It's just an awfully unpleasant bug! Most often, it appears, if a player leaves the area with a mining machine and returns, but also happens under some other circumstances.
    It is also very infuriating that a mining machine that has filled up its inventory will continue to consume energy in full! Why? Does the inventory check take up so much energy? This also applies to the water pump.
    It happens also that, for example, if you put a car to get a pure zeonite (100%), that eventually, resources of 1, 2 and 3 levels appear in its inventory. Also very unpleasant bug.
    A large container. Why does a large container weigh 6000 kg and have only 120 cells, while a small container has 12 cells with a weight of 200 kg?! A large container in this case should weigh 2,000 kg and be less, or should have 360 ​​cells! In the latter case, you can think of creating an average container with a capacity of 120 cells. Where did you get problems with math???
    Water pump. Unservedly has components of the current 3 level. In this regard, the timeliness of its use is simply disgustingly late.
    Conveyor. When connecting a not very large number of blocks or more, terrible lags begin. Optimization is required.

7. Blocks and tools.
    In the game there should be a gradation of the levels of all or most of the blocks, but unfortunately, it can not be traced everywhere. Again, here is the question in the missing level of components (paragraph 4 above). I believe that all small functional base blocks should be created from components of only the first level (here a compact medical station is knocked out), the middle ones should contain the components of the second level, and so on. And, so that only the emergency blocks do not have a connection to the conveyor system.
    That is, I believe that in the present form the game lacks clear 3 levels and zero level of each function block, and I believe that there must also be a separate type of these blocks - compact, designed exclusively for transport, which can also be divided into 3 levels, or can be opened as a single 3 level. Such blocks would differ in compact size and weight and might (or may not have, if several levels) connect to the conveyor system, but would have an extended time of creating objects.
    It seems to me that the average 3D printer did the wrong thing. It seems to me that in this form it should be small (perhaps, it is still slightly smaller), and in the future, medium and large 3D printers should be added.

Blocks of extraction of resources and tools.
    I think that the game lacks small mining machines and pumps and / or some tools for the protagonist. Personally, I would like more variability - it's better to try to add both, and then, well, there you decide.
    Small mining machines and radars.
    I'll start with the radar. Regardless of which resource model is used in the game world, even now the search for deposits is a big problem. I think that it is possible to add a tool to the game, when hovering it on a site of the terrain, it will display the resource content in the soil on the screen (or next to the sight / cross), and on it the filled resource area of ​​the deposit will be displayed in this place or the whole resource area of ​​the field will be traced. A large radar should look for and display resource deposits on a map or mini-map, if at last you add a mini-map. And with the ability to switch the display mode of resource deposits. Or maybe you will make a regime similar to the construction mode, in which it will be possible to see the found resource deposits in a certain radius.
    You can also make a small transport radar (not more than a small container) that would scan the ground under the vehicle at a low altitude (up to 20-30 m, for example) above the surface.
    Small mining machines.
    They should differ from large ones in that they will be smaller by themselves, the inventory will be much smaller (for example, 6 cells) and there will be no connection with the conveyor system. I do not think that this will be a good idea, but you can also reduce the production rate by no more than 25% from a large mining machine, for example.
    And water can be collected by a special tool that would work as a multi-tool, but exclusively with water. If now the character himself collects up to 7 bottles of water by his hands, it can be done so that he always collects only 1, and with a special tool he could collect up to 7-10, but with a greater speed than now with his hands. The same idea exists with the tool for extracting resources. This would not destroy the layers of the deposit, but would work like a hand-held mining machine. I think that it is worth making a small pump, as a separate unit, similar to a small mining machine.
    Energy. Too few sources of energy. From alternative sources of energy, it is possible to add wind and water sources, large solar panels. Batteries are good for transport, but weak for the base. You can add a larger battery. It makes sense to think about adding a compact version of a nuclear reactor for transport. For transport, it may be worthwhile to think up something unique.
    Staircase and ramp, elevator. It is very bad that the player can not change the angle of ascent / descent. It is necessary that the player alternately set the point of the beginning and end of the ladder or ramp, but now the ladder and ramp in this form are not needed at all. The expediency of using the elevator in the form in which it is now generally not understandable.

At this moment, this is what I can tell the developers of Planet Nomads, and I wish you success in developing this wonderful game

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello ILuJkee,

Thanks for your in detail suggestions. Now lets look on your questions:

1. When you leave your base, blocks gets unloaded, but their active components keeps active. That means mining should continue even if you cannot see the base with miner. You just need to make sure that the miner has enough power and storage capacity while you are out.

2. We are planning rebalancing the distribution of resources in the game. But our goal is not to be very realistic, as we do not know, what is real on distant planets . Our goal is to make survival part of the game more challenging, and that means having common and rare materials. You have a choice between staying safe and having less or taking some risk to gain more rare resources. How to eliminate the risk should be a player decision.

3. You are right, we need to improve the way how the game communicates attributes to player in correct form and at right time. We've had a complete list of attributes in player inventory screen, but it was not well understood. We want to fix this.

4. Same as the point 2, we will rebalance some of the recipes with survival rework, but our goal is not to have the same ratio of resources as on the Earth.

5. We have announced making changes in this area, like possibility to use terminal from cockpit (for using searchlight switch for example), and lately an option to bind those actions to vehicle hotbar, but we haven't completed that yet. The current system is a result of simplifications needed to release the game sooner with controls easily understandable for masses.

6. The mining machines should remember their setup of resource to (or not to) mine. If not, this is a new bug and report it with a save file in appropriate forum category please. The small vs. large container size / weight / capacity was a gameplay difficulty / design decision, it has nothing in common with math .

7. The whole "tech tree" of blocks will be reworked soon. We want player to have bigger choice which blocks to unlock / use and invent more ways how to unlock the block than only by building other one. We want enhanced blocks to be limited rather by unavailability of resources or the story progression than illogical tech tree. However, current tech tree fulfills the role of gradual uncovering of the blocks which better for learning.

8. We are considering adding some sort of resource scanner but we are afraid that it will ruin the game. If you have troubles finding some resources, it because we want it to be hard. If you will have a tool to locate the resource with 100% probability, we will need to introduce some other game mechanic which will make it hard for you to obtain it .
    Small mining machines - it's doable but we do not see a big benefit in making them. We do not want to add more blocks in current state of development, as we want to focus on fixing current bugs. Once we'll have relatively stable game we can focus on adding more features.
    Only adding new things and not fixing the older ones or balancing relations between them could make the game only worse, not better.