Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your ideas for making PN better

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Ability to adjust the position of an item after orienting it but before placing it.

To whit:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=776122073

It is impossible to place this 3x3 ramp because it is anchored in a location that is related to the bottom left corner. The floor is only two blocks deep, thus the ramp cannot be palced without blocking the bottom of the door. With some sort of keyboard shifting, the ramp could be adjusted down one block so that the ramp can exist one block lower than the floor and still be anchored to it.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    i know that multiplayer still has a very long way to go but some ideas have to be taken into account even before that because otherwise there might be severe problems in implementing features. That's why i'm already now "requesting" a feature:

right now every wheel, light etc is bound to the cockpit of the vehicle. But now mind you wanna create a vehicle with lots of tools and functionalities (in case you add weapons for vehicles against the animals etc even those) as a single player you can't control all of these at the same time (not enough keys or not enough fingers) so you wanna ask a friend to take over the control of the weapons.

That's the idea:
    every cockpit provides x (any fixed number) slots/keys that functions can be bound to (a concrete idea would be to use something similar to the layout of gamepads -> 4 axis, a few buttons etc)
    then you can use the build vision to link different functionalities (like moving foward or turning sidewards) to those slots and when you're sitting inside the cockpit (or holding the remote control if you plan on adding one) and press the corresponding key then everything that was bound to it will be "executed".
    of course obvious bindings like wheels can offer a preset of links between functionality and slots.

That way once it gonna be a LOT of fun controlling a huge vehicle (or space ship or maybe even submarine) as a group of people because everyone has his tasks and use rather than one controls and the others are watching...

If done correctly it can result in something like that but way more immersive and with some sort of "real" targets!
    Last edited by Rapus; 21-10-2016 at 11:39 AM.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd suggest taking a page from Space Engineers, and having shortcuts unique to each cab/cockpit/station.

So you can dedicate pilot cockpit, and gun controls and the like.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Azirahael View Post
    I'd suggest taking a page from Space Engineers, and having shortcuts unique to each cab/cockpit/station.

So you can dedicate pilot cockpit, and gun controls and the like.
    That's the same in short

Preorder Collector Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suggestion
    1)
    Control oflight, shock absorbers / suspension and doors, is brilliant. I see that thereare six + one possible choice that can be done, but not all are used. When itcomes to light I could imagine an opportunity to adjust brightness.
    Moreover, ithad been nice to be able to adjust the color of light, such as the strobe.

2)
    The wayobjects are oriented, is very good. Apart from a minor detail. When the mousewheel is rotated clockwise, rotates the object counterclockwise. This is alittle frustrating.

3)
    There areseveral other things I wish were there, but several of them are denominators ofothers. If desired, I am more than happy to create a list.

I have somesuggestions for the electrical system, but it's a little more difficult toexplain yesterday I have to make some sketches that explain what I mean.

Googlehelped me translate this.

I've been totested WOW but it was Beta test. Exciting to be involved in Alfa test.

Preorder Collector Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello
    Now I've played PNin app. one week's time and I love the game.
    Jeghers also seensome things I would like to see when PN is released.

1. Several bricks into any 1 block.

Welding togetherbuilding blocks of the same type in order to reduce the number of bricks

Here it is used 10times 15 blocks of 8x8x4 floor module that makes up 150 blocks.
    Actually, it wasdesirable to use 4x4x1 floor module, but then I had used 600 bricks.
    I do not know ifthere is one maximum on the number of blocks that can be used in the game.
    But I reckon thatthe number of pads will affect the game's function, when it has reached acertain number of bricks.

1. Lack of bricks.

Some bricks aremissing today:
    2a) Inside andoutside corners on ramp 2x1 and 6x3
    2b) inside cornersat a 45 degree angle 1x1 and 3x3
    2c) Inside cornerson the inside curved 1x1 and 3x3

1. Transition to interior wall.

If it was aninternal wall adapted to exterior wall, would the flexibility become muchlarger. Subsidized made exterior wall module width 1 versus 3 as it is now.

1. Electrical system.

The electricalconnection is very simple and good to its use, but gives no opportunity foradvanced management. Furthermore, the distance between the generator andoutermost consumer point very short. Especially when used in buildings.
    Suggestion:
    4a) Connect thewalls to the, generator and redirect to consumption point.
    4b) Parallelconnection of generators. To draw more Amp. to consumption points.
    4c) Not necessarilysee links to all generators in use only the marked or supplying current point.
    4d) Could color codedifferent power crises.
    4e) Constructing onewiring diagram.
    4f) Logicalfunctions: and, or, nand, nor. / Relay function.

1. Lagg.

I registered somelag even with the low building mass I have. My PC would be able to handle it.As I have a new acer preditor.
    In particular, lagis annoying when a block is released and fall to the ground. Then it locks myPC up for a long period. If I press Esc it seems that the process is faster.

1. color and surface.

If it had beenpossible to change the color and surface of the bricks, this had resulted in amore varied and exciting life.
    Maybe it had justbeen a need to retrieve from a template. Both as regards color and structure

1. Summary.

Yes I love the game,it has the potential to be absolutely amazing in my eyes. I'm sure many, verylikely all of these suggestions have come from others as well.

PS: Was not able to add pictures To large

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have searched the forum and only found 3 posts which mention the Hover Jack.
    This little beauty could provide a whole new level of gameplay if it could be attached to vehicles and structures. There would be no need of it being placed on the ground in instances of vehicle repair as the vehicle pilot could simply place a plate on which to attach the Hover jack under his/her vehicle.

Now the juicy bits and reasons for the request. Elevators, Cranes, Gravity Cannon, Vehicle propulsion (such as Monorail), Missile bay launcher and a host of ideas which I have been fooling around with after seeing Junkasarus's house propelled into space by a single hover jack.

The use of this little gem has elevated my gameplay enjoyment and retains my interest in the game physics whereas before, I did not care about them much in other games. I'm sure others would agree that hover jack provides a great deal of fun for experimentation.

Post Thanks / Like
    1. PRESSURIZATION

I've heard from other game developers that they would not implement pressurization to their games, especially aboard moving platforms, because it's essentially the same as moving large bodies of liquid around, and making sure that all the cracks are sealed, which apparently takes a tremendous toll on performance. Whether this is true or not I cannot confirm, but I'm saying I can understand if pressurization is not a realistic goal that you are willing to set.

I would, however, personally be more appreciative of being allowed to design compartments and complex airlocks for the purpose of pressurization, which I can later script to react in the manner I want.

Helmets doesn't have to come off, by the way. Your suit can detect how much oxygen there is on the planet, or in the room. So, say there is 0 oxygen, then the suit only takes from the suit's oxygen tank. If there is 50% oxygen, then it takes that, and the rest from the suit's oxygen tank. Basically, the suit prioritizes using the suit's oxygen tank only when it's required.

2. SCRIPTING (LUA)

I was just recently made aware of LUA. Last night, actually. I took a couple of minutes to read about it because I heard it was planned for integration in another game I'm interested in, and I was surprised as to how easy it was to comprehend. Perhaps, because it had a striking resemblance to PHP, which I've been coding now for give or take 15 years. LUA doesn't appear to need OOP, like PHP, which you really, absolutely do not need when you are coding by your lonesome on small pet projects. I don't know why, but I was given the impression that it was also quite easy(?), or easier(?) to implement LUA than other computer languages, but I cannot confirm this as I have no prior experience with integration myself.

But, if you have decided to allow for devices that rotate in the game, for instance, with set adjustable properties, then suddenly creativity is expanded exponentially by also allowing it to be rotated when and how you want it to, in cohesion with other objects and properties.

I fail to see how it grants much of an advantage in multiplayer, by the way, unless you make it incredibly easy to program mining drones and "search & destroy" drones.

3. MULTIPLAYER

One thing that I've realized (while playing any game) is that after a while you begin to feel hollow and dead inside, especially the more decrepit you get over time. There's just something about the possibility of bumping into another player at any given moment that's enough to make it feel like the game has some sort of purpose. I mean, a purpose other than simply surviving for your own sake, alone, all the time, creating things that no one but yourself will ever see or interact with.

I've heard speculations that you might- or would perhaps like to integrate multiplayer in the future, but, I'm a bit skeptical as to how multiplayer will pan out in the end when you say that you want to design the game as a singleplayer game first, then integrate multiplayer later. If you design the game for singleplayer, first, then focus on multiplayer later, isn't this approach a bit like modifying a car to become a jet plane, rather than simply slapping some wheels on a jet plane in order to make it behave more like a car? What I mean, is that I imagine it's much more difficult to make a singleplayer game behave as it should in a multiplayer environment, when you've pushed the game to its limits to behave the way you want it in a singleplayer environment, first.

The following suggestions I don't see as particularly important in contrast to the top 3.

99. GROUPING OBJECTS & SELECTING POWER SOURCE

When looking over a wheel, using the UI that already exist, you can tie said wheel to a group and rename the group.
    When looking over a power source, using the UI that already exist, you can choose a group for the power source to power up.
    If you want to "uncheck" e.g. a wheel from a group, you go to the wheel and simply uncheck it using the UI that already exist.

These groups could be accessed in our scripts, rather than having to iterate over objects ourselves to create groups.

98. BUILDING PROTECTION AGAINST ENVIRONMENTAL THREATS

In one of your trailers I saw what appeared to be a meteor shower, which, by the way, looked pretty damned impressive. I'm going to moderate my expectations, but, it gave me this idea:

A. In order to protect ourselves somewhat better against balls of fire from the sky, certain blocks, prefabs, or even paint can be more resistant to its damage. With the help of for instance rotors and a script, we can, if we have the know-how, create a small dome using regular small blocks that can be extended over ones cockpit and other exposed parts (like fuel source, cargo, and wheels). This way, damage upon ones vehicle will be minimal if we build and script it correctly.

B. Insulation against heat and cold, on ones vehicles and/or on the outer walls of ones base, not to protect regular blocks, but electronics from damage (e.g. a prefab that has been placed close to the outer wall can be damaged if there is no insulation between the wall and the prefab). An AC prefab could be created. Another idea is to use the already existing pipe prefabs and take advantage of thermodynamics (water heating/cooling), place a single line of pipes against ones base outer walls, to keep the base, or rooms in the base heated/cooled.

97. PHOTOSYNTHESIS / GREENHOUSE

I personally don't like the idea of having to pay attention to how much I eat in-game, as if I was playing The Sims, because I hardly eat anything in real-life, but if it forces someone's hand a bit to make pressurization happen, then I will be all for the idea. It could also keep the game a bit interesting, I mean, if the greenhouse were to be exposed to the vacuum of space, then I can imagine that its content would wither and die, and that you would have to build this up rather quickly, and efficiently, so as to not starve to death. It also makes designing ones greenhouse, so that it's not too exposed, a challenge, which can be fun in of itself. Like, where should this greenhouse be positioned on the base or ship, what kind of hallways should be connected to this greenhouse, do we have to be extra careful in regards to airlocks, and so on, oxygen and power sequences through scripts and lights, UV lights, blah blah blah. There's so much that can be done in order to improve this greenhouse in terms of building and survival.

Protection against environmental threats and scripting pops in here, too. You could for instance script a dome or shield of sort to expand over your greenhouse when it detects incoming meteor shower. It's not necessary to do this, but it could be done as an alternative.

Something that could be an option, but I hope not, because I think that it would be far less creative in terms of building, is to create food through some kind of oven or chemistry table. I know there's plants and animals on the planet, and that it's really all you would need, but if you're just going to click on some prefab which albeit looks and sounds differently in appearance and name works the exact same way as the 3D printer, where you choose the parts you need and craft the food just like that, without a creative step next, then being creative and building the base and vehicles quickly becomes pointless because it doesn't matter where you position this 3D printer/oven/chemistry table, or what you connect it to, you can leave it behind, or take it with you, keep it in the open, nobody cares. It's just a prefab, it doesn't even matter if its destroyed, and it really has nothing to do with the the creative part of the game, building. Survival? No, it's just there to be annoying.

96. SAFETY LINES

For later down the line when space travel becomes an option, I would like to mention safety lines, so that you don't float away while working, in case you run out of whatever it is your jetpack runs on. This way, one person could actually drive the ship, while the other one is repairing the hull outside, because then there is no question that the person shares the ship's velocity. If you, or someone else, let's say an evil friend, decides to cut the line (by for instance disabling the line, or destroying the hooks), then "Byyyye! See ya!"

95. "FORCE FIELDS"

Not talking about shields like the ones they use in Star Trek to prevent damage from happening to your ship, but of the type from Star Wars that allow you to travel in and out of hangars with relative ease without depressurizing the hangar. There really is no proper way to create proper hangar mechanisms without bending the physics engine to its knees, and still allow depressurization to occur only where you need it to so as to not depressurize the entire hangar (If you've seen the Battlestar Galactica series from 2004 then you know what I'm talking about; the hangar is also a garage where people work, so you only need to depressurize the elevators and tubes where ships enter and leave). So, one way is to have these "force fields" that can be used to keep the hangar pressurized. If people want to put blast doors in front of these force fields, so be it, but it strictly wouldn't be necessary. I suggest allowing any and all objects to pass through the force field, otherwise the force field will just be placed around everywhere as shields.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since you already implemented intuitive configuration of blocks through the build view, it would be even better to be able to create a logic panel to interact with all blocks on a grid and connect them with logic gates/switches/buttons. Take this example from SkyWanderers (Video).
    This kind of game mechanics adds a good level of replayability to any game it is implemented into as you can create complex contraptions intuitively. The way it's implemented into SkyWanderers is extremely appealing as you can crunch complex logic behaviours into small panels and interact with single switch. (All this concept from SkyWanderers lacks is the possibility to show a tooltip when you aim at something.)

Kickstarter Early Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to see the multitool beam "lock on" to the item its pointing at and immediately stop once that item is finished with whatever the beam was doing. It may be related to the lag others have been talking about, but my landscape around my base is covered in small holes now because once I stopped mining a boulder or plant the beam continued long enough to dig a hole I cant walk out of and I think is how I lost my vehicle (even though I carefully aimed my beam near the top of thejack to remove it I still got a hole in the ground where the jack stood and my vehicle wouldnt drive away, one wheel was always caught in this hole and it only drive in a circle, next time i logged in the vehicle had vanished so I assume part of its geometry was inside the ground because of this hole and fell through the world. if the beam auomatically just locked onto the jack and stopped the action it was performing (dismantling)once the jack was dismantled it would have left the ground flat. If I want a hole in the ground I should be able to just point and the tool "locks on" to the ground at the point I'm aiming and mines away. If it was a plant it should work until the plant is gone and no laggily ruin the ground under/behind it.

Kickstarter Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've played quite a bit now and now am just trying to see what other terrain types are around. A few things that would be nice to see and don't seem too hard to achieve hopefully!

- Break out waypoint makers in compass somehow to stop them all blending together and becomming illedgible? Perhaps a key to cycle through "all" or A-F? Same key could push each maker type down a line perhaps to show them all top to bottom?
    - Group attached power sources (i.e batteries) if they're next to each other, allowing power connections from any of them to draw on the same pool?
    - Allow looping on water gathering so we can just hold down E instead of bashing it in a timed/grind fashion for those 4x70 stacks of water before heading off to the snowlands. Especially since dirty water is now required to use the growing bay & seeds.
    - Allow water extraction devices (steam distilation) using higher end materials if you're worried about balance
    -- Piped blocks from a distiller device on the shoreline to under the water?
    -- Rain capture reservoir blocks for the roof, piped to distiller, piped to container?
    - Water blocks, artifical island sanctuary anyone?
    - Moving blocks, drawbridge for above?
    - Allow planting seeds in soil. Perhaps a planter block (seed + biomass + raw water) allowing cultivation of plants, activates on rain or similar cycle to spawn desired plant at the location henceforth?
    - Vehicle headlights! I'm getting ok results using waypoint markers but really would appreciate a cone/distance projected light source to avoid driving into gullies at night!
    - Wide beam mode on the tool for mining, point click and while your battery holds out walk forward creating a tunnel without needing to wave things around (badly) and getting a very iffy "mineshaft" if you're lucky.

Otherwise it's looking very good thanks!

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dead alien civilizations to explore (cities, tech and so on). Find clues to build alien tech, hunt for the things needed to build it. Why did the civilization die/disappear? Make the world much more interesting to explore.

Kickstarter Early Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMartian View Post
    Dead alien civilizations to explore (cities, tech and so on). Find clues to build alien tech, hunt for the things needed to build it. Why did the civilization die/disappear? Make the world much more interesting to explore.
    Amazing plan. Let's do this one!

Kickstarter Early Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    A method for syncing save games between PCs would be good. Either to be able to select a different save location (for example Dropbox), or some other method.

Kickstarter Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I spent hours enjoying the crafting and building in Planet Nomads. Moving from pencil sketches to building in creative then implementing the final idea into survival. As I was developing a base design, I was inspired to place a small outside container and attach it with conveyors to a larger inside container. This would allow a player to quickly dump resources from a vehicle to a base repository. However, I ran into the same issue as several other players. I could not place conveyors through walls, therefore, I had to choose to breach the building's wall or roof.

Consequently, our not being allowed to seamlessly connect resources outside of a structure limits the utility of a base to a single building. A solution to this issue would be a considerate first step toward both encouraging and challenging players to map, then engineer dynamic production systems, increasing range into several structures.

Because I have very little understanding of game-play design, I have a question: Does a solution exist which seamlessly fits into the current game-play mechanics or is the solution much more complex and will take several updates to implement?
    Last edited by Bloodangel; 02-06-2017 at 04:25 AM.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I totally suggest we have blocks or wall panels with conveyor ports in them.

Like Space Engineers conveyor junctions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodangel View Post
    I spent hours enjoying the crafting and building in Planet Nomads. Moving from pencil sketches to building in creative then implementing the final idea into survival. As I was developing a base design, I was inspired to place a small outside container and attach it with conveyors to a larger inside container. This would allow a player to quickly dump resources from a vehicle to a base repository. However, I ran into the same issue as several other players. I could not place conveyors through walls, therefore, I had to choose to breach the building's wall or roof.

Consequently, our not being allowed to seamlessly connect resources outside of a structure limits the utility of a base to a single building. A solution to this issue would be a considerate first step toward both encouraging and challenging players to map, then engineer dynamic production systems, increasing range into several structures.

Because I have very little understanding of game-play design, I have a question: Does a solution exist which seamlessly fits into the current game-play mechanics or is the solution much more complex and will take several updates to implement?
    As a work around, you can use a container instead of a block, in your wall.
    It has ports on both sides.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Azirahael View Post
    I totally suggest we have blocks or wall panels with conveyor ports in them.
    Yep, already suggested by a couple of people and got positive feedback from the devs back then. I hope we'll get those wall pieces with conveyor ports one day. I don't want to place the large containers inside my base, but still want to connect them to printers.
    I made screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/D1FM7 \o/

Kickstarter Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was unaware of any past suggestions and very encouraged to hear that the devs responded positively to the idea. After recording the time I spent surviving, mining, creating a base and vehicle, traveling, creating base 2, etc. and then estimating a frugal two hours additional time creating multiple buildings at each base with a production system, I was impressed with the amount of extended playtime that such a simple addition could reflect in this instance. Using the info that I gathered, the addition of "Wall panels with conveyor ports" would have increased my playtime 46.1%. I wonder if it could have affect others playtime in the same way?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to see us be to change the colour of the ui so that we can see it better instead of white (so we can see it while inside our bases), maybe make it black or allow the player to choose a colour they like.

Kickstarter Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was unaware of any past suggestions and very encouraged to hear that the devs responded positively to the idea. After recording the time I spent surviving, mining, creating a base and vehicle, traveling, creating base 2, etc. and then estimating a frugal two hours additional time creating multiple buildings at each base with a production system, I was impressed with the amount of extended playtime that such a simple addition could reflect in this instance. Using the info that I gathered, the addition of "Wall panels with conveyor ports" would have increased my playtime 46.1%. I wonder if it could have affect others playtime in the same way?
    I just received and read the notes for patch 0.6.3. It read:

- Added new building block: Wall with conveyor ports - you can connect inside and outside containers and machines

Thank you. The players are very excited about this change as well as the many other revisions that were made in this patch. We appreciate your teams ability to consider our suggestions and, at times, implementation when they align with your overall vision for Planet Nomads. Furthermore, we appreciate you putting your hearts into the creation of an incredible gaming experience. Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just received and read the notes for patch 0.6.3. It read:

- Added new building block: Wall with conveyor ports - you can connect inside and outside containers and machines

Thank you. The players are very excited about this change as well as the many other revisions that were made in this patch. We appreciate your teams ability to consider our suggestions and, at times, implementation when they align with your overall vision for Planet Nomads. Furthermore, we appreciate you putting your hearts into the creation of an incredible gaming experience. Cheers!
    I haven't had mauch time lately, so I missed 0.6.3 completely and I just tried 0.6.4, but I can't see any wall piece with conveyor ports. Do I have to start a new save to get that, or I'm just simply blind?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to have a better orientation on the world - like a planet's map or similar.
    The planet map (maybe a globe) shows the areas where I was in the past. It would also be great if the beacons from the escape capsule and the beacons "A", "B", "C" etc. are showing up on the map/globe.
    PN is so modern with jetpack, and all the other good things and I think it would match the century of PN having such a map/globe.

Greets
    Alrik

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that the mechanics of queuing items for production has changed, the double arrows - for queuing - are pretty much useless as you can set the number of queued items to either 999 or 0. None of these are required very often in my opinion.
    I'd suggest to change the behavior of the double arrows to add 10 pieces to the queue instead of the maximum possible with the available resources (which is always 999 now). That way if I need 30 of something, I wouldn't need to click 30 times, only 3 times.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to see a function added to the large storage container to auto sort items, also a machine that could be built that when you park a vehicle next to it it will automatically unload items into the storage container.