Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your ideas for making PN better

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to see a sandbox design mode where you can assemble and test vehicles in a number of different environments.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Biomes affected by weather.
    Like, if it rains too long, and the sun comes out, it gets steamy in the jungle, and you fog up.
    Or mushrooms release toxic spores, and you get trippy.
    Or after heavy rain, the desert blooms.
    Or releases a huge wave of monsters, requiring you to defend your base. (Pitch black 2)

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    How to get more ppl to play and buy this game? 8-15 year old girls love animals, taiming, riding with taimed animals. Food, and growing it, making something from it, female character. It doesn´t have to change game... we 30 year old players can still just kill mobs and build our spaceships. But then father can play with he´s children. Mother will buy it if they ask it and so on. I have 14 old niece who plays empyrion and ARK, I love space engineers. so ARK+ Space engineers+ empyrion... + more food and alien cats.
    Last edited by Wilts; 28-07-2016 at 12:09 PM.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilts View Post
    How to get more ppl to play and buy this game? 8-15 year old girls love animals, taiming, riding with taimed animals.
    I'm 46 and I still love that

Quote Originally Posted by Wilts View Post
    Food, and growing it, making something from it
    That will be in the game already

What may stop this age group from getting the game, especially those under 12, it the style of the graphics. This will not appeal to kids (and I doubt it was meant to be appealing to them). I'm sure that if this was more colorful and perhaps a bit less realistic, most of us would not have backed the game, but it would attracted more kids. As a father, I don't think I would play this with a 8 year old kid. My son is 15 though, he likes the game, but something like No Man's Sky attracts him way more, due to the graphic style used. He will for sure play PN though and we're really hoping for a local co-op mode so we can really play together on one machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously?

Have you looked at some of the biome pics?
    Neon blue and orange.
    Any more bright, and your eyes will lose the ability to see colour forever.
    or bleed.

TBH, i'd describe the graphic style as 'realistic' despite the alien colours.

Short of cel-shading ala-borderlands, i'm not sure what you could do.
    And i happen to think that it looks good the way it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Azirahael View Post
    Seriously?

Have you looked at some of the biome pics?
    Neon blue and orange.
    Any more bright, and your eyes will lose the ability to see colour forever.
    or bleed.

TBH, i'd describe the graphic style as 'realistic' despite the alien colours.

Short of cel-shading ala-borderlands, i'm not sure what you could do.
    And i happen to think that it looks good the way it is.
    I guess you didn't read my post too well now, did you. I did not claim anything contrary to this at all. I said the style is realistic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

I cant wait for this game, because it merges everything, what lacked me in one game.

And my modest opinion?

I have played 200+ hours of Space Engineers. My findings?
    ++++ Huge planets, nice graphics, advanced engineering, good physics (except driving on planet)
    ------- no other life on planet (except stupid cyberwolfs and spiders), no flora, no need to eat or drink, no weather system, stupid NPCs, bad optimalization.

Space Engineers is good engineering game but it lacks a survival. Planets are boring without flora and fauna. Physics and damage model are on good level.

I have also played more than 50 hours of Empyrion - Galactic Survival. And my conclusions?
    ++++ Nice graphics (last version), great survival system, diverse fauna and flora, liquid lakes (not only ice like SE), different bioms.
    ------- Terrible physics and damage model, awful traveling between planets (like an arcade), very small planets and strange texturing without access to both poles.

Empyrion is exactly what isn't Space Enginers and conversely. Until the player is on planet and trying to survive, the game is awesome and it's no time to be bored. But once you build a ship and want to travel to space, you will be very disappointed.

I think, that if you try to merge advantages of both games, that I describe above and add some your improvements, you will get very popular game. And now, after negative wave by players during No Man's Sky release, you have more chances to get on the top. I wish you more successes during development and look forward to the result of your effort.
    Last edited by hradecak87; 16-08-2016 at 12:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hradecak87 View Post
    Hello,

I cant wait for this game, because it merges everything, what lacked me in one game.
    Thanks hradecak87 and welcome to the forum. Your nickname sounds fairly Czech.

That was the founding idea behind Planet Nomads, to be able to build things and put them to use in a meaningful way. Or rather make your survival dependent on what you build.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maslostroj View Post
    Thanks hradecak87 and welcome to the forum. Your nickname sounds fairly Czech.

That was the founding idea behind Planet Nomads, to be able to build things and put them to use in a meaningful way. Or rather make your survival dependent on what you build.

Your tip is correct ;-).

Yes, I know, that main idea of this game was merging survival and building. But I think, that e.g. SE and Empyrion had at the beginning very similar idea, but in both cases only one of above described parts was made well at the expense of the other one. If you manage to balance final quality of both parts of this game, then it will be absolutely awesome.

I'm shame, but I heard first time about your game 2 days ago. I read all articles, watched all videos and now I'm sure, that I want to support your development and make a pre-order of your game. Now I must decide only which variant take :-).

Thanks for your previous answer and good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Randomization in some stats would help to keep the game fresh.

Let's say the game would have red, blue and yellow berries and the yellow berries would be toxic to eat. In most survival games when you would start another game you already would know that the yellow berries are toxic and the excitement of discovery is gone. What if that would be randomized? The game would still have those red, blue and yellow berries, but this time instead the blue berries would be toxic. In another harder game maybe yellow and red berries would be toxic.

This could even be included in the research system. Before being able to eat any of the berries, you would have to analyze them trough some research block or something.

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Wishblend's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomadier View Post
    Randomization in some stats would help to keep the game fresh.

Let's say the game would have red, blue and yellow berries and the yellow berries would be toxic to eat. In most survival games when you would start another game you already would know that the yellow berries are toxic and the excitement of discovery is gone. What if that would be randomized? The game would still have those red, blue and yellow berries, but this time instead the blue berries would be toxic. In another harder game maybe yellow and red berries would be toxic.

This could even be included in the research system. Before being able to eat any of the berries, you would have to analyze them trough some research block or something.
    real wood survival food testing words on the skin test.

Any unknown object / food, touch it to a part of your skin to see if you get an allergic reaction to it.

You can go, harvest the berries, grind them up in a pestle and motor that you have to make to analyse them (or build a analyser mod that can be added to your hud / multi tool to give a green or red light if it is safe or dangerous)

A good idea but I don't know if it would be available in the main game, but a possibility for the modding option.
    Always looking for hidden locations and ways to build

See my builds https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Zv_ap4HysL3HIl

Post Thanks / Like
    I know you have color-picking in the pre-alpha editor, but I would also like to see block-picking, too, in the final game. Ideally, it would be really fast to middle-mouse click on a block already used, and that type block becomes the currently selected block so that you can begin placing it.

While holding a block, in the pre-alpha editor, you have the method of clicking 'X' and then rotating on an axis, but just doing away with the 'X' press, and scrolling through all possible rotations quickly is probably faster to build with by quite a bit.

From what we've seen, you have the quick-pick blocks slots and you can select those with a key-press, but scrolling through them with the mouse wheel, even if there is a modifier key to activate it, is super-fast way to select from the ten slots.

With colors, it would be nice to have a nine or ten-color palette that you can customize as the main colors of a given model. This would be like the ten slots for blocks, but for colors instead. The purpose of this is two-fold. First, you set up a color palette that you will use (and maybe save as a palette by name) for a given model or the color theme of all your builds on a given planet, or pass it to your coop team for a unified look. Second, it works like picking blocks above, with quick-scrolling through all the ten slots. When in painting mode, you could scroll through the ten colors with the mouse wheel and then apply the desired one quickly.

So, to describe building with this scheme:
    When building, you would pick ten base blocks, and be able to hold a modifier key to scroll through those ten quickly to select the right one. Then to select from the other blocks in the library, press a modifier key to bring up a scrolling selection of block-pages, and when you scroll to the desired page, releasing that key changes to a mode of scrolling through the blocks on that page, and a left-click selects the desired block and puts it in the currently selected slot. Maybe right-clicking selects it, but does not put it in the currently selected slot for when you don't want to mess up your ten base block selections. This is desirable more now, since once a block is placed on the model, it can be quickly block-picked again.

When placing the block, you just mouse-scroll quickly through all orientations without any modifier key to change axes.

When you have several block types in the thing you are building, a middle-click acts as a block-picker that can select the block that is under the cursor (just like the color-picker works, but faster than using a keyboard key for it.) If that block is already in one of your ten slots, that slot is selected. Otherwise it may, or may not replace the block in the currently selected slot. I would say not, so that you keep your slots unchanged until you explicitly modify them, but you can always block-pick that tire on one side and place a copy on the other side of the model without looking for it in the block library.

Then when painting, you switch to a painting mode, and the middle mouse button is now a color-picker, and you use the mouse scroll to quickly scroll through the ten chosen colors in your current palette. If you chose some custom colors and have more than ten on a model then quickly color-picking the colors off the model lets you paint it a lot faster, too.

One last idea. Since you are creating some aged, worn textures for the wrecks, it would be neat to also "paint" with age and use the alternate textures on your model as well, since those block textures are in the game assets. Bonus if it becomes mod-able, and the painting with textures is one of the mod-able things in the game, where a custom set of textures could be applied to blocks. I realize that this may not be technically possible to paint with textures, meaning having a choice which texture gets applied to the block (default, weathered/old, or custom modded), but it will definitely be desirable to mod what the default textures look like, and maybe have that be set by the server and auto-downloaded when multiplayer is added.

BTW, I love how you have texture and color separated, instead of burning a block ID just for different color sets, also enabling the full range of millions of colors. Best looking blocks of any game so far, ever, IMO.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

I was thinking about futur gameplay allowing to move to other planets and the way of people are playing games like No Men's Sky ...
    I think people get bored because they are rushing for materials and can easily change to another environment without taking enough time to appreciate the lore.

So i would suggest to let the player craft a spaceship to move to another place but when landing on a new planet, the ship would get severe damages. So, the player has to fix it in order to be able to move away (damages would be different depending on the hostility of the planet). So it would force the player to carely choose the planet he wants to land on and when he has landed, force him to explore the lore and play on it some hours in order to find resources and unlock the tech tree leading to the creation/reparaing core engine needed for space travel.

What do you think about this idea ?
    Last edited by Zarx; 22-08-2016 at 04:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that there should be a challenge to getting off the planet.

I suggested that KSP-style physics and enemies in orbit could both present a challenge to get off the planet and make it harder to get to another planet and successfully get a base started there. Getting the tech to do so requires the player to explore and follow clues to discover that tech and at least some bit of lore that explains the situation a little, possibly setting up additional questions about the ancient alien civilization that had left buildings on the planet.

Kickstarter Early Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Really hope there are (or they add in the future) cool looking/glowing Alien 'Monolithic stones/Ruins' and gameplay mechanics surrounding them, like seen on some of the early artwork on KickStarter.

I really wish and hope that they add some kind of gameplay mechanic later down the line which lets us experience some kind of moment from 2001: A Space Odyssey, something like learning an ancient alien tech, lore or history about the planet/animals/aliens who live/lived there, or even crazier stuff like taming the local animals or speeding up the time like changing quickly from day to night or vice-versa, be able to breathe underwater or something crazy like that..

I don't know about you guys, but being on an alien looking planet and witnessing a monolithic stone/ruin for the first time with a giant moon/planet just above the horizon is going to make my day for sure (see the reference pics and artwork below from the KickStarter project to see what I mean )

http://i.imgur.com/vn1jcJG.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/2E0fBR7.jpg

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad Thunderbird's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    my idea to make PN better?
    netcode, netcode, netcode, gameplay over graphics, then sprinkle some graphics on top as a flavoring

nowadays games live and die on their communities, mostly online communities - they spread the word like a completely free advertising agency, they bring their friends in, they talk about the game and they get others interested
    nothing keeps a game going like a lively and active community, and that stays alive by being able to play together across the globe with little to no problems in a game that is fun to play together

there are a lot of arguments about early access games going out and the discussion is somewhat controversial - but the fact is that once you go out and sell the game, ESPECIALLY in the epic trainwreck that is Steam, you are on market and subject to reviews, opinions, and consumer scrutiny... and regardless of if its fair or not, it will be judged as such
    it needs to be taken into account - im not saying bend over backwards for the people, but keeping the people playing, interested, and INFORMED, is key, and having a understanding, friendly and excited community goes a long way

there, my 5 cents

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with your comment Thunderbird. And i would add my 2 cents here. It is sad to see such an empty forum. This question "your ideas for making PN better" has been written by a developer and then .... nothing. Absolutely no feedback from the team. I know they may be rushing the last hours to make the alpha ready for tomorrow but still. They should take care about the community, tease what they're doing, answer questions and so on...

Post Thanks / Like
    It is vicious at the moment.

-Setting up Steam key distribution system for preorders (want to get that automated, because with the added number of preorders in the past two weeks, it's taking wayyy too much time).
    -Communication with Youtubers, distribution system of keys for them as well.
    -Steam store page and build.
    -Preorder exceptions, alpha upgrade requests, multiple keys, etc.
    -Testing, changes.

It's not only my time being limited, but we also like to discuss your feedback together in a team, and right now the guys want their peace of mind, so they can finish the alpha build, and don't want to get side-tracked at all.

After release, things should go back to normal, we'll have time for alpha players feedback and to review suggestions and come up with a roadmap leading to Early Access.

Hang in there with us please.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    29 hours to go. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mohanhegde View Post
    Really hope there are (or they add in the future) cool looking/glowing Alien 'Monolithic stones/Ruins' and gameplay mechanics surrounding them, like seen on some of the early artwork on KickStarter.

I really wish and hope that they add some kind of gameplay mechanic later down the line which lets us experience some kind of moment from 2001: A Space Odyssey, something like learning an ancient alien tech, lore or history about the planet/animals/aliens who live/lived there, or even crazier stuff like taming the local animals or speeding up the time like changing quickly from day to night or vice-versa, be able to breathe underwater or something crazy like that..

I don't know about you guys, but being on an alien looking planet and witnessing a monolithic stone/ruin for the first time with a giant moon/planet just above the horizon is going to make my day for sure (see the reference pics and artwork below from the KickStarter project to see what I mean )

http://i.imgur.com/vn1jcJG.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/2E0fBR7.jpg
    TBH, putting them on the posters and making them THAT iconic to the game, and then leaving them out would be a bad move.
    Like, 'No-Mans Sky' bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Azirahael View Post
    TBH, putting them on the posters and making them THAT iconic to the game, and then leaving them out would be a bad move.
    Like, 'No-Mans Sky' bad.
    Exactly. They're definitely going to be in, but I do hope there are some that are special. It sounds like from the interviews that they are still working out what they will have in them or what they are for.

Ha, ha... new suggestion:

They should, at some point, come up with alien-designed blocks and have contests for game content creations, so that alien wrecks and bases are scattered around a planet.

Post Thanks / Like
    i would like to see this on consolebecos i miss out at space engineers so please dont make that misstake

Post Thanks / Like
    as well you could add AI like space engineers remote cotrole blocks

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Once the hotbar is full I have to pull a block there to use it. Even if I will use it only once for a project. This is a bit slow.

I'd like to have a way to
    - build any block from the library once without replacing hotbar blocks
    - move any block to the hotbar with click and a modifier key. Ctrl + number is slow because I have to take the hand from mouse to keyboard. Dragging is also slow compared to Ctrl + click for example, to place the hovered block in the current hotbar slot.

Also the highlight of the selected hotbar slow is hardly different from normal, should be much more distinct so we can easily see which slot is selected while we're in the library.
    100% linux gaming

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello PN team.

I would like to see a Jack Tool that can be placed after you've already built something. Perhaps it can be shorter and flatter when initially placed, so that it fits under 1 block space, but then expands out afterwards. Another variation of that idea is a robotic arm or an anti-gravity pad that you can place underneath to lift up without obstructing the building view. Both of these can be made into powered blocks that you can switch on and off, so you can build a permanent gantry area in your space garage. You can add buildvision controls to it, so you can tell it to lift +1, -1 or +5, -5 block heights.

Here's a related problem I run into... I'm building something about eye-level, then I realize I can't build any higher because I can't see the top of the blocks. So I hop around on my wheels, my own blocks, whatever is around, with little slippery success. Now here's a wild idea... There's a new "jack" tool that doesn't lift your build up, but instead it lifts YOU up. I imagine it would look like a heavy robotic arm you throw down and it grabs the back of your suit. It's arms are telescopic to a limited range. It feels like your using a jetpack but it's really just the arms holding you where you want to go. Think of it like a giant zero gravity tool balancer (yes, those actually exist). If you really want to go crazy with it, make it so you don't have to just mount the base of it to the floor, but you can mount the base of it to any block. This could be a real game-changer in how voxel-based games let you build. You can have the mobility of building in creative mode but immersively in survival mode.