Thread: [Acknowledged][HIGH PRIORITY] Memory Leak

Kickstarter Early Nomad Wicked_HoneyBunnyGames's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

[Acknowledged][HIGH PRIORITY] Memory Leak

I apologize if this is not the right forum to post it, but the "Alpha Bug Reports" is locked and I cannot create a new thread there.

Game Version: 0.3.1
    Simple Description: RAM filled up
    Detailed Description: Everything was normal, after some time (exploring to the north), game started to get really laggy, I realized my whole PC was laggy, checked the task manager, PlanetNomads.exe had over 13gigs of RAM used.
    Reproducibility: Every time/Occasionally/Never
    How to Reproduce: I assume, just explore around?
    Any additional information: Not sure if logfile will be of any use, since I managed to close the game down normally, and start it over again. I was recording at the moment this happened, but the file got corrupted and I was not able to retrieve it.
    Log file: http://pastebin.com/xYpBckZD
    DXdiag: http://pastebin.com/MpewZVkr

Keep up the good work guys, I know it's alpha, I'm just doing my part in reporting bugs. This game has a potential to be something great

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad LostPup's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    it's locked because the keys don't get sent out for about 7 hours, you shouldn't even have access to the game as i can't see anything on your profile saying you have access like mine is Kickstarter Alpha Nomad, how do you even have access to the game just being a "Member"?.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Youtuber ? ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarx View Post
    Youtuber ? ;-)
    Yep, altough I did back it up on kickstarter, but YTers got it a bit early =)

Post Thanks / Like
    Moved to bug reports. I'll fix that posting permission then. Didn't think youtubers would be doing bug reports haha

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad LostPup's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    as usual, thought it'd still say something on your profile being a backer not just a member though i've seen another post where someone didn't get their backer badge on the fourm
    Last edited by LostPup; 25-08-2016 at 01:30 PM. Reason: taking out stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LostPup View Post
    as usual, thought it'd still say something on your profile being a backer not just a member though i've seen another post where someone didn't get their backer badge on the fourm.
    I registered on forum with gmail from Youtube channel, not with my personal where I've backed it up, that also might be the case. Anyway, it deosn't matter, we need to report the bugs to make the game better

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazbat View Post
    Moved to bug reports. I'll fix that posting permission then. Didn't think youtubers would be doing bug reports haha
    Why not? I want it to be a great game

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't you have something more serious to do bug reporting like Jira, Mantis ... instead of this forum ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarx View Post
    Don't you have something more serious to do bug reporting like Jira, Mantis ... instead of this forum ?
    Nope, at least I wasn't given any of these. What's wrong with reporting on the forum anyway?

Jira, Mantis, and other similar apps are just like you said more serious, for QA in-house reporting purposes.
    Last edited by Wicked_HoneyBunnyGames; 25-08-2016 at 01:39 PM.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, we have Jira here at my work, but we wouldn't want 1000 public posters adding things and commenting. Better to filter them out on the forum, from my perspective.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bug confirmed.

My whole computer just crashed because I ignored the OS popup where it says that I should close some applications because the OS is running oom.

I was rovering around in one direction for about 15 minutes.

Sadly there's no output log.

DxDiag: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60491190/DxDiag.txt

Post Thanks / Like
    Confirmed here too was getting a bit choppy while streaming, when I alt tabbed out was using 29.7gb of ram, closed game restarted and cleared it but filled ram again after 10 or so mins. Good job I have lots
    “Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
    Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    Community website for Sci-Fi Gamers http://sci-figamers.com/
    My Youtube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like this is pretty much confirmed. Dont worry that this isn't in the list of known bugs yet, gotta make sure the team has received the bugs and what their status is.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also just experienced this issue as well. Although I played it for a couple hours and it only started happening when I was driving around.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen mine get up to over 19GB, but it also drops back immediately on a save. It also drops over time if you sit still in the game. I just stood still and it went from 19GB after traveling at 50 Kph for a while, to a little over 5GB pretty quickly after stopping and just standing still in game. So not sure if it is a 'leak' and not just 'greedy and slow to release memory'.

P.S. Or else Windows was so lost it didn't know how much memory PN was using.
    Last edited by Jaycephus; 25-08-2016 at 11:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I started to dig down straight, which increased memory usage quite fast. But then I've hit something inpenetrable and while I was fooling around on that level, memory usage started to drop slowly. So it might just 'greedy' as Jaycephus said.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Adding report to avoid duplicating. Symptoms are the same, after travelling a lot north or south game crashes with OOM. Got proper crash logs.

Game Version: 0.3.1
    Simple Description: Game runs out of memory
    Detailed Description: After travelling through a few biomes north or south game crashes
    Reproducibility: Every time (2 times played, 2 times crashed)
    How to Reproduce: Build a vehicle (1 had 6 wheels, and 2 gens, the other 10 wheels and 4 gens), travel all the time north or south.
    Log file: Travelling north: http://pastebin.com/dMDyAG9s
    Log file: Travelling south: http://pastebin.com/EpyxTKU1
    DXdiag: http://pastebin.com/16MK2Yqy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaycephus View Post
    I've seen mine get up to over 19GB, but it also drops back immediately on a save. It also drops over time if you sit still in the game. I just stood still and it went from 19GB after traveling at 50 Kph for a while, to a little over 5GB pretty quickly after stopping and just standing still in game. So not sure if it is a 'leak' and not just 'greedy and slow to release memory'.

P.S. Or else Windows was so lost it didn't know how much memory PN was using.
    Standing still was dropping, not fast but it was dropping (maybe if I stood there for 1-2 mintues, it'd drop all the way), saving didn't help, but saving - quiting to menu, loading back in, helped a lot (and it's probably quicker than standing, at least in my case)

Post Thanks / Like
    16GBs of RAM here, and can confirm this happens between 30 minutes to an hour. I generally have a 50/50 chance I'll be forced to force-reboot my rig in order to recover. D:

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    The memory hunger also appears on linux. I've been running east for 2 game days, now the game has almost 5.8G RAM. The same world, fresh loaded, requires 1.4G.
    No vehicles used, only placed some beacons.
    100% linux gaming

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Caleon View Post
    The memory hunger also appears on linux. I've been running east for 2 game days, now the game has almost 5.8G RAM. The same world, fresh loaded, requires 1.4G.
    No vehicles used, only placed some beacons.
    Interesting, I never went above 50% on Linux (Ubuntu 16.04), even if I drove really fast in one direction. And I have 8G only.

UPDATE: This this might be a "side effect" of the GPU driver issues I have right now. At the moment either I have visual glitches, but performance is steady or I have nice visuals, but that kill performance.

So you might want to ignore my comment on not having memory issues
    Last edited by fura; 28-08-2016 at 09:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    DEV confirmed.

We'll be fixing the leak and then working on an improved memory manager for future stages of the game.

As for a bug reporter, we've integrated with Pivotal Tracker for automated bug reports, curating based on occurrences. For community-reported ones, however, the forum feels right as discussion can take place for help/hot-fixes and confirmations.

It may look crazy now, but should get better after the initial launch.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke