View Poll Results: What weapons selection do you think should be in the game?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • None. Not even vehicle weapons.

0 0%
  • Pistol only. Weapons as advertised on vehicles.

0 0%
  • Limited personal selection. Like Pistol, Rifle Shotgun

5 16.67%
  • Basic FPS options, like SMG, Assault rifle, Missile launcher etc

5 16.67%
  • Lots of guns. Lasers, plasma, nukes, the whole nine-yards.

3 10.00%
  • Graduated upgrades of weapons, like Basic, enhanced, rapid fire, elite etc. For each weapon.

7 23.33%
  • Fully modular weapons that we assemble.

10 33.33%
  • Cake

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Guns, and what you want:

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Poll: Guns, and what you want:

So, there's a weird time limit on polls, so i had to make a new thread.

Post below what you want for personal weapons.
    And vote.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm torn between Limited personal selection and Basic FPS options and cake. I love cake. since I went to a birthday party my appetite for cake today has been satisfied, so one option less. I don't think I want this to be mistaken for just another FPS with building stuff, I go for limited selection. We at least need something beyond the pistol, a rifle and shotgun would be nice..... unless we can have exploding cake, then I'm all for that!

Post Thanks / Like
    From the listed options I sympathize with the limited selection the most.

But what is we replace the concept of multiple weapons with one single, upgradable weapon? Very basic at first, like the pistol, but later we could increase firepower, rate of fire, switch from ballistic operation to energy based (means more firepower and accuracy), etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fura View Post
    From the listed options I sympathize with the limited selection the most.

But what is we replace the concept of multiple weapons with one single, upgradable weapon? Very basic at first, like the pistol, but later we could increase firepower, rate of fire, switch from ballistic operation to energy based (means more firepower and accuracy), etc.
    Fair comment.

But, having recently played Hard Reset, which does this exact thing, i can say that the difference between having a minigun, grenade launcher and rocket launcher, and having one gun that does all those things is largely cosmetic.

Hard reset has 2 guns. An energy one which shoots plasma bolts, EMP grenades, homing energy bolts and a lightning arc.
    The other gun pod does SMG, Grenade, mines, Rockets and shotgun.

There's no real difference, other than the change anim.
    If the Dev's wanna go that way, i'm fine with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Azirahael View Post
    Fair comment.

But, having recently played Hard Reset, which does this exact thing, i can say that the difference between having a minigun, grenade launcher and rocket launcher, and having one gun that does all those things is largely cosmetic.

Hard reset has 2 guns. An energy one which shoots plasma bolts, EMP grenades, homing energy bolts and a lightning arc.
    The other gun pod does SMG, Grenade, mines, Rockets and shotgun.

There's no real difference, other than the change anim.
    If the Dev's wanna go that way, i'm fine with it.
    I see your point, I haven't consider that tbh. I don't really want a big arsenal, that is why I thought an upgradable gun would be appropriate. Just enough to counter and escape from (not necessarily kill) stronger enemies. The pistol doesn't seem very effective against Godillo
    And if want to go on a rampage, I'll build a tank

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it's only for exploring caves and similar where you can't bring your vehicle, how about some high-tech pepper spray or taser to chase mobs away or knock them out?

Obviously we need some kind of magic inventory to carry all those materials and blocks but that doesn't mean we should be able to pull a missile launcher and 100 missiles out of the pocket.

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally think a minigun/rocket launcher is a little bit overkill. Anything like that would be better off vehicle mounted.
    Basic weapons like a pistol, rifle, high powered rifle/sniper, etc might be nice. But you don't want too many different ammunition types as in my opinion that makes crafting a pain. (Low calibre, medium calibre, high calibre, and special ammo is enough imo)

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Harrison's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought about "Graduated upgrades of weapons" and "Limited personal selection.". I choose first variant, but want second too, because we will have few types of weapons (4?) and this modifications allow add a varieties for gameplay.
    Also I like variant "modular weapons" - I suggested this here

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad LostPup's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think a basic assortment of weapons with a slight modern touch as the game is set in the reasonably near future (from what i understood in an interview), so maybe things like a Gauss/coil rifle and some sort of basic energy weapon would be good however my vote goes towards modular weapons, which i think could work well for static weapons as well. instead of having 5 different weapon types you have one or two weapon bases Light or heavy, and ontop of that you can build the kind of weapon you want, maybe your area is heavy with armoured ground mobs then you might want some kind of AP HMG or maybe your area has allot of light flyers so you could build a multi-barrel flack weapon. ontop of that it could have modules for stuff like accuracy, reload, target leading. all of which can be selected and added on with materials.

How i think this could happen is.

First: construct the turret base.

Second: use build vision (i think it's called) to interact with the base and select the configuration you wish to have with the turret. (Small turret base with a few options. LMG, HMG, Flack, GMG, Gauss, Small Rocket launcher. the large turret base having options like 30mm auto loading cannon, missile pods, multiple HMGs, large calibre cannon. but all this would only take a single object in the blocks tab as it's all built off the base you select)

Third: the type of configuration or turret head appears after taking some resources (or maybe the build process included some extra for the turret top to be placed ontop) and then you weld the turret top on.

Forth: using build vision again you can interact with the turret top or base to add modules like extended mag for the weapon, advanced motors for turret rotation and Aim helpers like one for more accuracy for Gauss rifles or the ability to lead targets for Flack AA.

as for personal weapons i think the same kind of modular system could work well with basic/limited amount of upgrades letting you add some kind of customisation for how you play, not everyone likes running around with shotguns, not everyone likes sitting around with sniper rifles so i think it would cater for everyone and give a large range of functionality for weapons.

though to start i'd be happy to live with just some basic modern era weapons, that were maybe stored in the ship as an emergency backup if you were to crash on a hostile planet, the modular weapons coming later after you've established yourself and learnt how to or made the production capable of building them.

also considering the multitool they already have in the game i feel like the developers are already pushing towards modular items, like the one bass that takes a welder, grinder and drill. allowing for one item with 3 functions.
    Last edited by LostPup; 21-08-2016 at 03:25 PM.

Preorder Collector Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keep the weapons system simple and invest the time saved in other parts of the game.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WOLF308 View Post
    Keep the weapons system simple and invest the time saved in other parts of the game.
    Totally agree!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, i think actual modular weapons would be a big time sink.

It's not an epic effort to craft in a variety of weapons, once the pistol is in.
    Once there's a working [bullet/bolt hits target, target get hurt] mechanic it shouldn't be too hard to add a few more.

After that it becomes 'what style of game do we want' for the devs.

Empyrion does fine with pistol, AR, Shotgun Sniper, Rocket, and upgrades for each.
    Oh yeah, and lasers, but they suck.

Space engineers has [gun] and upgrades.

Eden star has a full modular weapon system, but it took months to do, and they're still not done.

I think they should have at least the standard FPS spread, and make it relatively easy to mod in new weapons. so that those who want 10 tiers of 20 different weapons can have them.
    If they care enough to do it themselves.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I kind of like the idea of limited personal weapons... the basics, pistol, rifle, shotgun (even that one optional, what with the rifle...) However, I'd like to see multiple weapon systems available for building and then installing in vehicles and on structures. Of course, this all depends on the type of npc enemies we are to encounter, and the mechanics of the game, such as ammunition feed rates, energy requirements, etc. It wouldn't make sense to have a high energy discharge rail gun that is being powered by two solar panels on a cloudy day...

If it were up to me, however, to make it more universally playable by as many people as possible, everything that is put in needs to have a toggle (either by direct configuration menu, or INI type config) that either enables the block/item for use, or disables it. That way those that want it all can turn everything on, and those that only want to have a go at it with limited items can do the same as well.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Post Thanks / Like
    I voted for one of the multiple weapon choices, but there's something to be said for the hand weapons being down-played because the vehicle weapons are so strong, and those are the ones you want to bring to a fight.

I'm hoping that it's not just the animals we've seen that you need to worry about, but that there are also small, medium, and large drones or bots that protect important alien buildings, or something like that.

For multiplayer, armored vehicles would be too strong for hand-weapons, unless it was a shoulder-launched missile, or an energy-rifle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Choice is always a winner for me.

MAybe in the game setup?

Like:

Difficulty: Sandbox | Easy | Medium | Hard | OMG!
    Weapons: Pistol only | Scavenged | Minimal | Full | Enhanced

With 'scavenged' being make-do weapons constructed out of rivetting guns, welding lasers etc. like Bioshock or Dead space.
    Minimal being pistol rifle shotgun
    Full being pistol, assault rifle, Shotgun, grenade launcher, flamethrower, miniguns, rocket launchers, sniper rifles
    Enhanced being... i dunno, multiple levels of upgrades, lasers and plasma weapons etc.

Though, TBH i imagine most people will go for the max, and ignore the weapons they don't like.

Though, i like the idea of make-do weapons
    Maybe the salvaged weapons could be the first tier of weapons, before you get the recipes for actual military hardware.
    Hmm, i might make a post about that.

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Wishblend's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Azirahael View Post
    Choice is always a winner for me.

MAybe in the game setup?

Like:

Difficulty: Sandbox | Easy | Medium | Hard | OMG!
    Weapons: Pistol only | Scavenged | Minimal | Full | Enhanced

With 'scavenged' being make-do weapons constructed out of rivetting guns, welding lasers etc. like Bioshock or Dead space.
    Minimal being pistol rifle shotgun
    Full being pistol, assault rifle, Shotgun, grenade launcher, flamethrower, miniguns, rocket launchers, sniper rifles
    Enhanced being... i dunno, multiple levels of upgrades, lasers and plasma weapons etc.

Though, TBH i imagine most people will go for the max, and ignore the weapons they don't like.

Though, i like the idea of make-do weapons
    Maybe the salvaged weapons could be the first tier of weapons, before you get the recipes for actual military hardware.
    Hmm, i might make a post about that.
    great idea
    Always looking for hidden locations and ways to build

See my builds https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Zv_ap4HysL3HIl

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, looking at the poll we want a limited selection of modular guns

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Wishblend's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin (ShadowFlightBA) View Post
    Well, looking at the poll we want a limited selection of modular guns
    Yes it does look like that.

Say a limited selection of weapon bases for example:-

Short Base (for pistol / crossbow)
    Long Base (for assault rifle / sniper / flame thrower

Modular attachments.

Short Bow (add to short base to make a crossbow)
    Pistol stock (Add to short base to make a pistol / Semi auto pistol)

Gas tank (Add to Long base for flame thrower)
    Scope and sniper barrel (Add to long base for sniper rifle)
    Always looking for hidden locations and ways to build

See my builds https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Zv_ap4HysL3HIl

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a lot of programming just on guns types.

Actually the poll dilutes the votes of those that might be considered to be against modular weapons into three categories (14 vs 5).

And nobody wants pistol only.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaycephus View Post
    And nobody wants pistol only.
    True, I want at least a pistol as a last defence, shotgun to fend off creatures, and a cool scifi crossbow to sneak up on creature when hunting them

Post Thanks / Like
    Well there's no reason why we can't have both, I'm sure the devs can work their way up to fully modular weapons and maybe we just start off with pistols for a bit then they keep adding more weapons and mods when they're able to

Although I'm sure it would be easier to just mod ammunition if it's too much of a hassle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Modular weapons sound cool, but AFAIK, it's a lot of work.

The other options, less so.

TBH, mods will PUT guns in, if the devs leave them out.
    As long as the code for weapons is in there, and not obfuscated, it should be easy enough to do.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad KryptoSteel24's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fully Modular? Hell yeah! The more customization the better !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Modular weapons? I don't get it, but mainly I'd be concerned that its a lot of work that delays multiplayer and space by quite a bit.

Starmade has modular ship systems, with ship weapons made in a modular way. More rows and longer rows of missile blocks gives you more and bigger missiles, and you can add weapon function blocks to make them faster or more powerful, or guided. But then that makes your ship bigger and bigger, too, with the need for more engines and more power generation. And the blocks are just the same size cubes as all the rest of the ship is made out of. But that doesn't look good unless you build a hull of a ship around the weapon system to give the ship a cool design. Same with the thrusters. They're just another cube type, and you add enough of them to get the thrust you want. Which is ugly. So then you need to build a cool looking design around it to make your ship look good. But SE and PN have taken the path of making a cool-looking thruster module that you add to your ship, with larger and larger modules to give you more power for larger ships. I kind of like the modular weapons and ship systems concept in Starmade, but it is a big hassle, too.

Hand weapons have some severe limitations on weight and size, so building them like a block-built vehicle seems more like a gimmick to me. And they'll look ugly and not fit the aesthetic of Planet Nomads.

Post Thanks / Like
    What i meant was like this:
    https://trello.com/c/NKCvlguY/991-we...r-construction

Planet Explorers has a crazy system where you design and build your weapons, voxel style.
    So you can build things with diff range, ROF, damage and so on.

All that stuff is cool, but it takes dev time.

Basic weapons, not so much.