Thread: what we can lern from the fails of Minecraft

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb what we can lern from the fails of Minecraft

The reason is, i played a very long time Minecraft on an "factions,hardcore,survival server".

you know the fight system in Minecraft is poor
    and on an faction server you need many traps that are hidden an deadly
    but in Minecraft you can dig around every problem or build really fast an bridge or an tunnel around it....
    so its very hard to protect your home when anybody has god like crafting sklills

and in minecraft when you must find new stuff and you cant find it in an old area you must go in any direction and the system generate new parts of the map BUT the map on the server gets bigger and bigger and at an specific point no one can play anymore on the server
    because the map is to huge.(its lagging like hell)
    or they (the admins) use an plugin to make an invisible wall around an area ...... so the need of growing "stuff" is big
    to make it simple when resources only regrow when an part of the map get bigger,the map gets to bif in the end and the server cant handle it.and when you make an wall so no one can generate an new part of the map
    the element you need cant be find anywhere anymore

so i came with an solutions
    The idea was an shield system that is complex but use elements you must find in the landscape
    the idea is you craft an force-field-generator but he only can make an shield when you put an "element" in it
    you must find this element because the generator consumed the "element" over the time slowly

to balance this
    the element is rare BUT it grows slowly new ores so you dont must find it elsewhere after plenty time
    new "element" spots
    so because not everyone can find it, its in deep caves underground
    and you need an radiation suit to collect it because the "element" has his own radiation
    so
    1.you must know how to craft the radiation suit
    2.you must collect the items to craft it
    3.you must find one of the caves where the "element" grows
    4.you collect enough for you but dont take to much because when you collect all the stuff they dont grow anymore after it. (its like you want an apple but you cut down the whole tree)
    5.you must know how to craft the force-field-generator
    6.you need the items to build it
    7.you has build it and you store the "element" in it
    8.you must know how to build the radiation "chest"
    9.when you has build it you store the rest of the "element" in it.
    10.this chest can be destroyed but the "element" is unstable and explode too (that means when someone want to open the chest by forcing it,it will explode and every item is lost)
    11.radiation gas floating around for a while
    12.the generator is in full function
    13.you can set an frequency of 4 numbers
    14.you can build an "force-field key"
    15.you give the "forcefield-key" the same number as the generator and you can pass the forcefield without any harm
    16.any enemy gets harm from the forcefield when he touch it.
    17.the forcefield is an transparent 3d sphere with the generator as the center
    18.at an option panel at the generator you can chose how big the sphere is but there is an maximum
    19.you can also chose how high or low the layer of the center is
    (as an example what i mean you can make that the forcefield is 64x64x64 "units" big
    and than that the center is not the generator you can chose it with x,y and z coordinates BUT
    he must have the generator in his own field AND it CANT touch the generator himself)
    20.when you and a friend want to go out and in the force-field you to need an force-field-key with the right frequency number BUT when you has an guild ore team or something like that and you team up with an other faction as an allied both teams get the frequency of each other team automaticly on there forcefield-keys when they have one or when they build one after it.
    21.sorry for the long post but i
    writing all balancing tweaks down
    22.when you want the force-field bigger than maximum you dont need to build an another generator,you must build so called forcefield-expander
    23.you build them and than you place them Inside the forcefield of the generator.
    24.they now get there energy from the generator too BUT that also means that the generator need more energy as usual and that means he consume a little more "elements" like before over the time
    25.the forcefield - expandors has the same x,y and z options and forcefield expansion options that the generator itself has BUT only for his own forcefield
    26.how many forcefield - expandors you can connect to the generator has an limit after reach it it needs an whole new generator.
    27.you can upgrade the forcefield generator so he can store more "elements"
    28.How to destroy the forcefield ? you can shot on it (friendly fire dont harm it)
    you can hit it with big and fast things like vehicle or something.
    the forcefield make harm on anything that has armor or health !
    29.what happen when something harm the forcefield like an energy shot ?
    so the generator has an healthbar and its gets down by every shot.
    but it gets up when a little time has past without any harm like selfhealing
    30.when it gets up/heals himself it consume for this time more "elements" than usual
    31.when an forcefield hit an other forcefield the build one big forcefield.
    the expander and the generator dont make 2 kind of spheres that has his own walls that build one sphere that is asymmetric because of you placement direction and the y,x and z coordinate options.
    32.there is an way to hack the generator to get the frequency ,to sneak in without harm.
    like an device you must use very near the enemy forcefield,than after an time an puzzle pops up and you must do it under time attack and solve an complicadet puzzle.
    33.the force-field can be protected to this too
    there is an "thing" you can build and connect with the generator.
    it changes the frequency in an time interval for the force-field and all the forcefield keys
    and with an upgrade it make the time to solve the puzzle shorter for the enemy that want to hack the generator.
    34.when someone dies and he has one of the forcefield keys you can collect it and walk trough the enemy forcefield BUT when the frequency's changes your stolen key DONT change (its an balancing thing )
    35.the generator has an on off switch that anbody who can reach the generator can use.
    36.the forcefield goes trough any material that is neutral or friendly
    that means you cant dig around,over or under it to get in the field.
    the forcefield is always an 3d sphere.
    37.you cant expand an forcefield of an expander with an other expander
    example: expander can only connect with the generator when they are in the generator forcefield. but they cant connect to the generator when an expander is in one of the forcefields of an other expander.
    38.you can even connectn an alarm device to the genrator,so when anyone hack the forec-field and fail the alarm goes on and send an warning message to his owners
    so thats all today

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Dawnkeeper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If a game that sells millions of times is a fail the I also want to write a fail

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawnkeeper View Post
    If a game that sells millions of times is a fail the I also want to write a fail
    do you even read what i wrote down ?

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawnkeeper View Post
    A game can contain obvious failures, without being an overall failure.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good points, though there are other solutions to people wrecking your base.

And this game may not even suffer from the memory creep of an inhabited world.

And i think that a rare, but constantly regrowing resource may cause other problems.
    Like camping.

But still, well thought out

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Azirahael View Post
    Good points, though there are other solutions to people wrecking your base.

And this game may not even suffer from the memory creep of an inhabited world.

And i think that a rare, but constantly regrowing resource may cause other problems.
    Like camping.

But still, well thought out
    thats why i make radiation for these kind of resources
    when you camp near it slowly all your stuff get broken even your radiation suit must be build again and again......
    i love balancing game mechanics,every time i see an interesting game i find something it would make better or something that must be fixed......
    that gets annoying for most of the indie devs out there ........

and an game that get map generation
    and i can change something on this maps/planets that means my savegame get bigger and bigger
    and for an server with only 4 players that mean the data that must be stored gets bigger and bigger 4x faster than in single player......
    even no mans sky has this problem....... it only save waht you change temporally so the game data dont get bigger and bigger in your harddrive
    and than they are have very limited the things you can actually change in the game by yourself..........
    but i think you know what i mean

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    The memory growth will come from digging and building. Digging that changes the planet's form has to be stored persistently, just like base-building, and that will increase RAM needed. I would imagine that if you don't dig and/or build too much right in one spot, then maybe there's no RAM issue, since once you walk away from that area, it can be unloaded from RAM? (Like the planet's surface in general.)

Maybe there would be a way for digs to disappear after a time. So just mining and then walking away would disappear after 10 or 20 game days. But if you place a block, then it freezes the dig. Like just put lights in your mine and it stays in place forever, but if you pick up those lights, the mine "erodes" away after the time limit.

As time goes on with development and testing in Alpha, they may be able to optimize in ways that the devs haven't tried yet.

Have to see how it behaves on various systems. I'll be testing on 8GB up through 32GB RAM systems. Insane, I know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaycephus View Post
    The memory growth will come from digging and building. Digging that changes the planet's form has to be stored persistently, just like base-building, and that will increase RAM needed. I would imagine that if you don't dig and/or build too much right in one spot, then maybe there's no RAM issue, since once you walk away from that area, it can be unloaded from RAM? (Like the planet's surface in general.)

Maybe there would be a way for digs to disappear after a time. So just mining and then walking away would disappear after 10 or 20 game days. But if you place a block, then it freezes the dig. Like just put lights in your mine and it stays in place forever, but if you pick up those lights, the mine "erodes" away after the time limit.

As time goes on with development and testing in Alpha, they may be able to optimize in ways that the devs haven't tried yet.

Have to see how it behaves on various systems. I'll be testing on 8GB up through 32GB RAM systems. Insane, I know.
    an p2p data transfer system between every player that look in the same direction in the same area would help alot
    when you has an high speed connection the game uses 2-20% of it to send data that the server has send to you,to send it to an near by other player so he dont must get it from the server.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guys !
    Let's do a big minecraftish failure with this game too and we'll be all happy ... just my opinion though xD

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its not the size of the explored map that lags Minecraft servers,
    its the number of chunks loaded around the players that drags things down.

You could have a 50k x 50k map. and it will play the same speed as a 4k map if you keep all the players in the same area, loading the same chunks. A MC server with 2 players will run about the same speed if they are 1k apart or 50k apart.... its the same number of chunks loaded.

Planet Nomads can readily solve the Local Depletion problem... unlike Minecraft we can build vehicles that can travel 50,70, or even >100kph ... Good luck mining out everything within 30sec 'cart-ride' of your base when you have a 150kph rail system