Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Mans Sky Early Reviews,Disappointments confirmed ( yes with day one patch )

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

No Mans Sky Early Reviews,Disappointments confirmed ( yes with day one patch )

So i have faced allot of flack and flaming when ever i tried to point out that NMS will be very shallow

Now i dont mean unwell for the developers , they probably made this with passion but the problem was , While most people were blinded to its size , i often questioned its depth , Its a game with a 100 mile width but 1 inch depth .

The fact they were very tight lipped about the features further cemented my views and now the early reviews confirmed all that .

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/0...isappointment/

http://www.polygon.com/features/2016...eview-10-hours

Its a glorious tech demo at best and taking advantage of the hype and placing it at a 60$ sale mark was another move that made me weary of the game . It sounds like Starmade, but with prettier graphics and none of the depth .

Post Thanks / Like
    The (p)reviews were to be expected, or rather the gameplay being as it is. Still, I don't understand why they start with such a negative spin to later tone it down and actually praise the game. Maybe it's that the IGN First exclusive?

We're in Europe, so first impressions coming tomorrow, but in any case, the only way I will know is by playing the game long enough, and that won't happen until the weekend.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still looking forward to playing on Friday, if they don't delay again. From the streams I've seen so far it seems like a shallow game indeed, but a very enjoyable and fun shallow game. I bought it mainly for the exploration and there's no doubt about that being the best feature of the game.

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    well it is an indie game , review sites are often light on them for reasons we all know , it hurts their sales more greatly than it would to a title like gta which would sell regardless

well im going to be waiting or trying the game out for my self before deciding to buy it , tho i am very patient and with Planet nomads alpha coming im not at all impatient for NMS , might pick it up at a very good sale . I still cant seem to justify its asking price

Post Thanks / Like
    My problem is that their 'four pillars' are not the four pillars I want, to say nothing of the priority of those pillars: NMS claims Exploration, Survival, Combat, Trading, though the actual priority appears to be: Survival, Exploration, Trading, Combat, (and no multi-player).

What makes Minecraft, Space Engineers, Starmade, Terraria, and so on popular was a priority more like: Building, Survival, Combat, Exploration, WITH real multi-player. Furthermore, these games balanced their pillars to be equally important a lot more than NMS does. Combat in NMS appears to be unnecessary to survival or exploration, for example. So while it's actually hard to pick what the importance of certain pillars are in these popular games because they are closely balanced, NMS has a clear order of importance where Combat is just something added as possible to perform, but not required for either survival or exploration (such as when zombies are closing in from multiple directions in a dark cave, and to 'explore' further, you'll definitely need to be able successfully 'combat' the zombies and skeletons). Could say more about Trading, too. Is NMS really a Trading game? They're just talking about selling things that you collected and being able to buy better stuff, just like the shop in any RPG ever made. And the MMO Black Desert Online might be ten times the trading game than NMS will ever be, since you can buy things cheap in one city and get paid more in another city based on distance and a demand level. And that's still a rather simplistic Trading mechanic.

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    not to mention we saw this happening with elite dangerous , gorgeous , seemingly infinite but ... no depth

it gets boring doing point a to b trading or killing after a while

UPDATE tho , they claim to further the game now beyond its original scope by ading some sort of base building ? This is kinda huge

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by upsetkiller View Post
    well it is an indie game , review sites are often light on them for reasons we all know , it hurts their sales more greatly than it would to a title like gta which would sell regardless

well im going to be waiting or trying the game out for my self before deciding to buy it , tho i am very patient and with Planet nomads alpha coming im not at all impatient for NMS , might pick it up at a very good sale . I still cant seem to justify its asking price
    They should not go easy on this game at all, especially not with the $60 price they ask for it. It's obvious by pricing it far outside of the indie price range, they want to play with the 'big boys' and should be judged accordingly.

not to mention we saw this happening with elite dangerous , gorgeous , seemingly infinite but ... no depth

it gets boring doing point a to b trading or killing after a while

UPDATE tho , they claim to further the game now beyond its original scope by ading some sort of base building ? This is kinda huge
    I read that as well, I guess it's to compensate for the shallowness of the game. Personally, not interested though. The game wasn't build for that, so I really wonder if it will be implemented well at all.

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    well lets wait and see ill be trying it first before purchasing .

Post Thanks / Like
    I've already ordered the game and prefer to go in blind rather than look up a bunch of review sites, in depth game play videos, etc.
    With these types of games it's really up to the player and how they want to prioritize those four pillars. Everyone has different play styles so they prioritize those differently. It's probably wiser to wait and buy to be sure but in the end, it's between the player and the game and how compatible they are together. Maybe it exceeds all expectations, or maybe it's a huge disappointment. I'm looking forward to playing it either way just to give it a chance and if it doesn't work out, I can always just refund it. Plus, in my honest opinion, I believe that many review sites are broken so I don't trust most of them in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Multiplayer lie confirmed?
    There's been no comment from the developers yet about the p2p multiplayer

Post Thanks / Like
    Lie? I don't think it's a lie. It's just that they were clear that it isn't truly a multiplayer game in the way we all think of as multiplayer. It was supposed to be possible to run into other live players, but there wasn't really any way to interact with them except maybe shoot them, and that's an assumption on my part. I've seen it said that you can't chat with a player you run into, and the odds of running into someone by accident is 'astronomical'. It's also astronomical that you would even be able to casually meet up with a friend, early on, since if you don't miraculously end up very close to one another in the vast universe, then you wouldn't be able to get to them due to survival and fuel-use and how long it takes to build up to where you can even make it to the center of the galaxy. (getting the best/longest range ship and plenty of fuel for long-range travel)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaycephus View Post
    Lie? I don't think it's a lie. It's just that they were clear that it isn't truly a multiplayer game in the way we all think of as multiplayer. It was supposed to be possible to run into other live players, but there wasn't really any way to interact with them except maybe shoot them, and that's an assumption on my part. I've seen it said that you can't chat with a player you run into, and the odds of running into someone by accident is 'astronomical'. It's also astronomical that you would even be able to casually meet up with a friend, early on, since if you don't miraculously end up very close to one another in the vast universe, then you wouldn't be able to get to them due to survival and fuel-use and how long it takes to build up to where you can even make it to the center of the galaxy. (getting the best/longest range ship and plenty of fuel for long-range travel)
    Oh yeah I know what you mean, when asked it was explained that the game would not feature "traditional multiplayer", but you would carry around a lobby with you so on the off chance you crossed paths with someone you would be able to see them, although with no name markers or anything.

2 players managed to meet up in the same star system, and no matter if they were on the same planet, station, or in front of an outpost, the game wouldn't sync up.
    http://kotaku.com/two-no-mans-sky-pl...-bu-1785051898

Second attempt: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTh..._up_again_and/
    Sean was asked about this on twitter, however like always he hasn't given a direct (or really relevant) answer. He said that they're getting an absolute ton of discoveries, although that shouldn't affect p2p multiplayer.

His responses lead to things like this comic being made:

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^ this , it is a indirect lie @Jaycephus

They kept ignoring to answer critical questions about gameplay , the game was perhaps one of the most safeguarded games in terms of spoilers . And those fears turned true when personal and professional reviews poured in .

The problem is their audacity to charge 60$ for a game that is not nearly upto that AAA mark

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ this , it is a indirect lie @Jaycephus

They kept ignoring to answer critical questions about gameplay , the game was perhaps one of the most safeguarded games in terms of spoilers . And those fears turned true when personal and professional reviews poured in .

The problem is their audacity to charge 60$ for a game that is not nearly upto that AAA mark
    I'm afraid you're right and in 8 hours or so I can judge this for myself. Though I must be honest and admit I didn't pay $60 for it, far from it. I tend not to buy me games directly at Steam unless they have a big sale going on. There are other places where games like NMS are way cheaper. Pre-ordered NMS months ago, don't even know where anymore It's nicely sitting and waiting in my Steam account to play though and that's most important.

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well i pirated it , the game is unplayable with the crashes , its not my issue steam user base is filled with complaints

ill wait a month or so , if the problems get fixed ill take it up at a sale .

also i am stoked for planet nomads alpha , It looks so much more appealing now that iv seen NMS up and close the graphics seem dated , and that awful ground 128x128 looking texture breaks immersion for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    My son and I downloaded it at Steam the minute it was available. We played for 8 hours taking turns, until deep in the night and by now we played another 6 hours. No issues here at all and not one crash everything runs pretty well. I've tried it on the highest settings with my GTX 750 Ti and it ran easily 40-50fps, but had occasionally drops to 10-15fps. When lowering the settings to medium, the fps was stable and solid all the time. The game is pretty much what we expected. A lot of exploration, some trading, a little survival and a bit of fighting now and then. Being able to go from space to a planet seamlessly is impressive. For some who loves to explore, it's the perfect game. I just spent 3 hours wandering around on a planet. Discovering wildlife, resources, plants, small settlements, huge caves and some very enjoyable scenery along the way.

Well i pirated it , the game is unplayable with the crashes , its not my issue steam user base is filled with complaints

ill wait a month or so , if the problems get fixed ill take it up at a sale .

also i am stoked for planet nomads alpha , It looks so much more appealing now that iv seen NMS up and close the graphics seem dated , and that awful ground 128x128 looking texture breaks immersion for me.
    I'm sad to hear you pirated it. Anyway, from what I've seen so far this game seems to love older hardware, understandable since it's made for the PS4. ARK has the same issues in the beginning, running smooth on old stuff, but badly on new.

The graphics may seem dated, but that pretty much is the style of the graphics. It's 1950's scifi cover art style and they did a pretty good job on that.

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I pirate every game before i buy it . i have some 80+ titles on steam , while its not as big as some others may have , i buy the games that truely deserve it.

with that said , The problem is the hype and the price they banked on it . after playing for 2 days iv already reached the center and done everything there is to do , unless i want to do the same thing over and over with slightly different looking things .

anyways , those were my thoughts . glad some others are enjoying it.

Post Thanks / Like
    As for the price, I do agree, it's not worth $60 at all, more like $20 or so. I'm going to review the game and even though I love it, I will give it not higher then 6/10. That's because of the price. If I had paid $20 for it, I would have given it a 8/10. I'm just glad I didn't pay the $60, I picked it up in a sale 4 months back

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    agreed with that summary

Post Thanks / Like
    I've played 14 hours of No Man's Sky so far and I must say that after 14 hours, it's become very repetitive and boring. Don't get me wrong, only a fool would not acknowledge what they achieved with that game. In fact, No Man's Sky is no doubt going to be the precedent to how large scale procedural games are made in the future and where the technology will be able to take us, however, their mistake was the content of the game.

This is where Planet Nomads will overshadow No Man's Sky. Having 18 quintillion planets sounds cool, but what's the point when the only thing you can do is fly from planet to planet, explore, scan fauna and flora, find bases, ancient alien sights and gather resources. Planet interaction is dependent on that planet's statistics. On some the sentinels will be ruthless and so will be the creatures, on others, they'll be very laid back. You mine one item near a sentinel and it attacks you. You kill a creature that's attacking you and the sentinels come for you. It begins to get annoying after a while.

Other than reaching the center of the Galaxy, the game has no direction. Take Planet Nomads for example. You have to gather resources to survive, you then can build your own bases, vehicles, space ships, you can travel across the stars to other planets in a similar fashion to No Man's Sky. That in itself gives Planet Nomads the upper hand, you have objectives, you have a reason to be playing, to keep your character alive, to travel and explore. In No Man's Sky, there is no reason to. Once you have seen a few planets, you've seen them all and it just continues over and over again, planet after planet. Sure some people like that sort of gameplay, and I enjoyed it for about 14 hours, now it's become repetitive and boring.

I had to chuckle though, I've been promoting Planet Nomads for the last two days in posts on the No Man's Sky discussion boards on steam in threads where people are looking for alternatives already or in threads where people are bashing No Man's Sky. All the more reason to drum up more people to come and support Planet Nomads.
    "Honor the brave who fought,
    Honor the dead that fell,
    Honor the world they saved."

~Shinryu, The Lord Dragon.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with you wholeheartedly, Shinryu. I didn't even make it to 14 hours yet, Steam only logged about 5 for me.

The procedural generation is really remarkable and produces quite a WOW-effect at first but that isn't enough to carry the game. I'll probably look from time to time to see if it improves, but it went from wow to boring kind of fast. Space Engineers on the other hand has 681 hours on my steam counter and is still my most often played game, despite the fact that I am just building things and the whole thing is running kind of badly (especially in multiplayer). Planet Nomads has the promise of taking the fun building part from Space Engineers and throwing in some No Man's Sky goodies. So I'm really looking forward to it :-)

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    even that has been done by elite before .

the problem is single mindedness , developers often dont budge from their "vision" and "beliefs" while in reality its all business and instead of being egoistic should listen to what the community wants on acceptable levels.

And tbh i feel like we here at forums , each of us should start marketing planet nomads on different forums on a personal level and spread the word as far as we all possibly can to give it some spot light. These are are the kind of products that deserve true recognition from the public and the big publishers.

Post Thanks / Like
    even that has been done by elite before .

the problem is single mindedness , developers often dont budge from their "vision" and "beliefs" while in reality its all business and instead of being egoistic should listen to what the community wants on acceptable levels.

And tbh i feel like we here at forums , each of us should start marketing planet nomads on different forums on a personal level and spread the word as far as we all possibly can to give it some spot light. These are are the kind of products that deserve true recognition from the public and the big publishers.
    I've been pointing people to this place a little as well, but.... as much as I'm lookin forward to PN, I'm not going to make the same mistake as with NMS. I want to play first, before I get others exited about the game, then I at least know what I'm recommending. NMS looked awesome as well and I really like the game, but it's not the game the developers promised, which makes it harder for me to recommend. I'm sure PN will be closer to what was promised and a soon as the alpha proofs my expectations right, then I'll start pointing more people to this place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is that why we have seen the number of visits on the web triple to around a thousand visits per day in the past five days? There are probably more variables here, like the timing around alpha and NMS. Still thanks for spreading the word around milestones. It happened to me more than once that a Youtuber contacted me saying that somebody on their channel recommended they look at Planet Nomads. As Cobra put it, Planet Nomads is getting street rep.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maslostroj View Post
    Is that why we have seen the number of visits on the web triple to around a thousand visits per day in the past five days? There are probably more variables here, like the timing around alpha and NMS. Still thanks for spreading the word around milestones. It happened to me more than once that a Youtuber contacted me saying that somebody on their channel recommended they look at Planet Nomads. As Cobra put it, Planet Nomads is getting street rep.
    Yeah I've been posting on a lot of the Youtuber channels covering No Man's Sky and other survival games to check out Planet Nomads as well as a number of posts on the NMS discussion boards on steam. I go by Just Another Gamer on youtube. Planet Nomads deserves the attention and without us the excited players putting the word out, you won't have the same market reach as No Man's Sky had with Sony's millions of dollars of marketing. If we the players want this game to succeed and for your studio to succeed, it's our duty to drum up as much awareness and support for it as possible.

I was going to ask if it's allowed to do Youtube videos of the Alpha. I was thinking of opening my channel starting with Planet Nomads.
    "Honor the brave who fought,
    Honor the dead that fell,
    Honor the world they saved."

~Shinryu, The Lord Dragon.