Thread: That First In-Engine Footage [Day/Night Cycle]

Post Thanks / Like

Well, since we're still figuring out how to feature the Day and Night Cycle video more prominently on Planet Nomads website, here goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi_i3-WO87c
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like

I'm unable to post in the contest thread, you crazy, bearded freak!! I have a pretty nice drop pod submission that I bet you're just dying to see....

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of sorcery is this?! The login cookies are crazy, not me. Have you tried ctrl+F5 refresh in that particular thread? Will most likely help.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty nice so far.

The only thing that bothers me is that white haze. In a desert we usually don't have that regular haze, it should rather be composed of dust and sand, so more of a dark yellowish color would certainly look better.

Also, the sun acts a bit weird when it hits terrain, but I'm sure you've noticed that too ^^

Post Thanks / Like

It is a very very early version indeed Thanks for the sand suggestion.
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting project, will keep an eye on it. Wish you luck with progress and funding. I back a few things on KS, so I will look out for this. ;)

Kickstarter Early Nomad Turbotobi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi there, I will also keep this nice project in mind, it looks very promising to me and I really like the genremix.

Good luck for the future and may the force be with you. Im looking forward to your kickstarter campaign, your game
    looks like a good addition to "Exoplanet" which I also baked before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys! We also backed Exoplanet, got hooked by the story
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks really cool so far! I'm curious though, in the future will the path of the sun or length of day change based on where you are on the planet (close to equator or close to pole)?

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad Whiteclaw-Δ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm-Light View Post
    Looks really cool so far! I'm curious though, in the future will the path of the sun or length of day change based on where you are on the planet (close to equator or close to pole)?
    That sounds like a great idea to me if it's possible to implement in the game!

Kickstarter Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm-Light View Post
    Sounds cool

Post Thanks / Like
    I know day and night is based on how many stars are in the system, but haven't hear about based on your distance to the poles, that'd be awsome!
    If the sun's are simulated and all that then that may be ingame. Travelling the poles then would be a viable strategy, long times of solar power but a very harsh environment.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is technically possible, yet time consuming, so it's a question of do we really need this or is it nice to have after more important mechanics are in.
    -Raoul Duke

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad Perry_Hope's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The day & night cycle looking good so far.

Thumbs up.

Kickstarter Precious Nomad glek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maslostroj View Post
    It is technically possible, yet time consuming, so it's a question of do we really need this or is it nice to have after more important mechanics are in.
    I'd vote to focusing on main features and adding this idea if possible. I think it would make for an interesting game mechanic but there are obviously bigger fish to fry.
    "And so I close realizing the end has not yet been written" - Atrus, Myst, 1992

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Wishblend's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It works at the moment, so I would say polish it up if it needs it and mark it done for now and move it to the ( to be improved later pile ) and work on other things that need doing.

At a later date, come back to it.

Kickstarter Early Nomad bigtymer110's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow Night & Day looks very Good! that soundtrack is awesome. Cant wait!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, since the thread was bumped, we do have a weather update: Sunny, with the occasional meteor shower...

Also day/night lengths change based on your position on the planet and on the season of the year. This includes polar days and nights on the poles.
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, since the thread was bumped, we do have a weather update: Sunny, with the occasional meteor shower...

Also day/night lengths change based on your position on the planet and on the season of the year. This includes polar days and nights on the poles.
    getting better all the time
    Always looking for hidden locations and ways to build

See my builds https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Zv_ap4HysL3HIl

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

Seriously? That makes exploring so much more realistic, awesome!

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the idea of sensible day/night lengths.

I play a few games where the day is magically 4 times the length of the night.
    And the night is 5 mins long :(

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is pretty cool - if you're adding weather effects then perhaps:

rain/storms
    sandstorms
    tornadoes
    lightning

Things of that type. Gain these are just fanciful desires, I'm already impressed you had time to implement a meteor shower - which get a thumbs up from me.

Perhaps you can also add temperature changes depending on the day/night cycle, which could affect the character's suit? Again just a fanciful idea.

I'd prefer you focus on the core than these side additions

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by korefuji View Post
    this is pretty cool - if you're adding weather effects then perhaps:

rain/storms
    sandstorms
    tornadoes
    lightning

Things of that type. Gain these are just fanciful desires, I'm already impressed you had time to implement a meteor shower - which get a thumbs up from me.

Perhaps you can also add temperature changes depending on the day/night cycle, which could affect the character's suit? Again just a fanciful idea.

I'd prefer you focus on the core than these side additions
    Not that fanciful really We are focusing on the core, but the things you mention are part of the core experience.

For alpha, the weather effects will be merely cosmetic/atmosphere-building, but we will be tying these with survival later on, temperature, radiation and poisoning included.
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    Not that fanciful really We are focusing on the core, but the things you mention are part of the core experience.

For alpha, the weather effects will be merely cosmetic/atmosphere-building, but we will be tying these with survival later on, temperature, radiation and poisoning included.
    That's cool, looking forward to it
    Always looking for hidden locations and ways to build

See my builds https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Zv_ap4HysL3HIl