Thread: Episode 4

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like

Episode 4

Do you have a date when the next episode will be on?

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm curious myself.

Maybe they're holding off until the 1st alpha release?

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Azirahael View Post
    I'm curious myself.

Maybe they're holding off until the 1st alpha release?
    I hope not ._.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Marks96 View Post
    I hope not ._.
    They might. It would only be a short delay, and i imagine it's crunch-time at the office.
    Probably no free time until the release

Kickstarter Builder Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't expect anything soon, but rather closer to the alpha release. They just posted an update last week.

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Harrison's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really, I forgot that Nomadic Journals will come in this month..

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Really, I forgot that Nomadic Journals will come in this month..
    Boss said there will be one but when D;?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hah, nice one! As I was just about to to create a thread on this. The thing is that in the past two weeks and upcoming few the changes happening are mostly internal/cosmetic/optimization, basically things that are hard to demonstrate and no new major features. In other words there's not a list of things we could build the episode around.

I was thinking about a commented alpha-play, but I'm not sure what to show, since it feels like we've shown everything.

So... what do you want to know? What would you like to see? What should we cover in detail? Shoot them questions here and we'll answer the most intriguing and pressing ones as best as we can.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be glad to see an episode focused more on you, dev guys, rather then the game itself. Especially since there's not much to present about the game at this point.
    So all the devs could share few words with us about the road down here. Like who is doing what, most memorable moments, hardest challenges or whatever you want to say to us before we're getting our paws on the game.

Kickstarter Alpha Nomad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fura View Post
    I'd be glad to see an episode focused more on you, dev guys, rather then the game itself. Especially since there's not much to present about the game at this point.
    So all the devs could share few words with us about the road down here. Like who is doing what, most memorable moments, hardest challenges or whatever you want to say to us before we're getting our paws on the game.
    That will be cool

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fura View Post
    I agree, that would be interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pet peeves, and favourite things about games/Planet Nomads.
    Things that given devs are particularly looking forward to, or want to avoid.

Knowing more about people's likes and dislikes gives us ideas about where things are likely to go, or not go.

Anything that gives an idea of the likely progression of the game is good.

Kickstarter Hologram Nomad Zombie Hugger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maslostroj View Post
    Hah, nice one! As I was just about to to create a thread on this. The thing is that in the past two weeks and upcoming few the changes happening are mostly internal/cosmetic/optimization, basically things that are hard to demonstrate and no new major features. In other words there's not a list of things we could build the episode around.

I was thinking about a commented alpha-play, but I'm not sure what to show, since it feels like we've shown everything.

So... what do you want to know? What would you like to see? What should we cover in detail? Shoot them questions here and we'll answer the most intriguing and pressing ones as best as we can.

So, I remember a couple answers from the past, but here are some questions I am sure people are curious about. Could make for a good video, I think.

-When a player dies, where do they respawn? Is there a timer for how long they have to wait and what happens to their items?

-How dangerous are some of the aggressive animals? Will the player actually feel threatened if they run into a single one this creature on foot?

-Is it possible to "destroy" an ecosystem? Rather, if you were to go on a killing spree and clear an area of all of the wildlife/trees, is it possible for that area to be repopulated by wandering creatures or by the player simply reintroducing animals?

-Will there be fall damage?

-We saw how a vehicle can be held in the air by a single block and falls when the block is removed. Would a building work the same? For example, if someone made a tall tower and severed it in the middle, would the upper half simply float, disappear, or fall over?

-Is there a limit to how fast a vehicle can move? Could you just toss a ton of thrusters on a small vehicle and speed across the world ultra fast?

-Can the player be crushed by structures/vehicles?

-How complicated will the combat system eventually be? Will the animals have a simple attack animation that hurts the survivor or will there be an interaction system of a sort?

-Will there be a leveling/progression system? Can a player learn a skill by performing a certain action enough or will it be more like you get skill points to spend? Do you lose these skills after dying?

-About how many in-game hours do you think it will take for an average, exploring player with the desire to build a spacecraft and reach other planets? I hope it will take a minimum of 15 hours, if not 20 or more.
    Why hug a tree when you can hug a zombie?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, a 'this is what we are planning' update would be great!

Because info on the intended finished product is a little light on the ground.

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Wishblend's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some good questions there.

Here is one, will you be able to store designs after you die or do you have to relearn it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishblend View Post
    Some good questions there.

Here is one, will you be able to store designs after you die or do you have to relearn it.
    Like, vehicle blueprints?
    Or unlocked equipment?

Post Thanks / Like
    Both.

It depends on how you get things.

If you unlock things to advance in the game, do you have to unlock them again if you die (but anything you built is still in the game and can be found and savaged)

Or if you design something, do the building plans stay with you or do you have to design them again from scratch if you die.
    Always looking for hidden locations and ways to build

See my builds https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Zv_ap4HysL3HIl

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I hope blueprints won't disappear, because most of my build have a quite high "accidentally good" factor And after a few days I won't remember how exactly I built stuff, so recreating them without blueprints is a nightmare...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishblend View Post
    Both.

It depends on how you get things.

If you unlock things to advance in the game, do you have to unlock them again if you die (but anything you built is still in the game and can be found and savaged)

Or if you design something, do the building plans stay with you or do you have to design them again from scratch if you die.
    Well, i'd imagine that there's going to be some sort of blueprint library.
    And it would be nice if when you start a new game, you have the option to use an existing character and the things they've unlocked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys! Heartwarming to see we got to a point you want to know more about us. I will keep that in mind, and I will ask the guys around, whether they would be up for that. Not sure if they would on such a short notice (two days), but with enough pep talk they should open up to this idea. The challenge being talking on camera is hard and even more so when English is not your native tongue.

The "what we are planning" topic is really good, but the timing isn't as everybody is focused on today's things, or rather on all the things they need to finish before 25th August, but a good tip and I can see it as a topic of #5.

Same goes for the questions - mostly good ones, but oriented on the future (#5 possibly?). They feel strangely familiar too. Didn't we answer those already? In the KS comments?

Summing up: Let's focus on the alpha now I know everybody over here is and there's no time for distractions.

I was thinking about showing exactly how to build things, explain Buildvision in more detail, show a few tricks and tips (like why you should make your vehicle symmetrical).

The reason being that we had an external tester in here last week, we explained to him what PN is about, got the camera rolling and let him play. Which is basically a situation in which many alpha testers/backers who didn't follow the development closely will likely find themselves in. So later we found out that despite a visual tutorial he still got confused during vehicle building and only his second vehi finally worked - frustrating.
    "Well, I thought. This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him."
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys! Heartwarming to see we got to a point you want to know more about us. I will keep that in mind, and I will ask the guys around, whether they would be up for that. Not sure if they would on such a short notice (two days), but with enough pep talk they should open up to this idea. The challenge being talking on camera is hard and even more so when English is not your native tongue.

The "what we are planning" topic is really good, but the timing isn't as everybody is focused on today's things, or rather on all the things they need to finish before 25th August, but a good tip and I can see it as a topic of #5.

Same goes for the questions - mostly good ones, but oriented on the future (#5 possibly?). They feel strangely familiar too. Didn't we answer those already? In the KS comments?

Summing up: Let's focus on the alpha now I know everybody over here is and there's no time for distractions.

I was thinking about showing exactly how to build things, explain Buildvision in more detail, show a few tricks and tips (like why you should make your vehicle symmetrical).

The reason being that we had an external tester in here last week, we explained to him what PN is about, got the camera rolling and let him play. Which is basically a situation in which many alpha testers/backers who didn't follow the development closely will likely find themselves in. So later we found out that despite a visual tutorial he still got confused during vehicle building and only his second vehi finally worked - frustrating.
    That sounds like a good idea.
    Always looking for hidden locations and ways to build

See my builds https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Zv_ap4HysL3HIl

Post Thanks / Like
    Fair enough. It is indeed a short notice and I understand many of the IT/Dev guys - like myself - "become shy" when they have expose themselves to attention.

Turns out you have something to present eventually Sounds interesting.
    Last edited by fura; 08-08-2016 at 09:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think a tips and tricks video would be great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okhay, change of plans, gang. Tomorrow I'll have a blog post for you with a situation update and a story on how planets are generated with very cool pics and how we kept improving it.

Journals are coming next week, we're gonna focus on a few features and how the guys have evolved them in the past few weeks.

And tips and tricks for Alpha, a video tutorial if you wish, will be a separate vid.
    -Raoul Duke

Post Thanks / Like
    Okhay, change of plans, gang. Tomorrow I'll have a blog post for you with a situation update and a story on how planets are generated with very cool pics and how we kept improving it.

Journals are coming next week, we're gonna focus on a few features and how the guys have evolved them in the past few weeks.

And tips and tricks for Alpha, a video tutorial if you wish, will be a separate vid.
    Now that is stuff I love, seeing how things are done and how far you have come, looking forward to all. Tips and tricks, nice