Thread: Muddy terrain

Post Thanks / Like

Muddy terrain

I just noticed a bug on the screeshots posted on steam and I had no idea what to do with it
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1528581164

While the bug is a known one, it never happened to me.
    It is not a very fast vehicle... only 4 wheels, no flying involved...

But the idea of having some muddy terrain is interesting.
    While I would love such a feature, it should be also configurable because some people want speeeeed and being stuck once every month could be a disaster to them.

Post Thanks / Like
    .... anyone who wants speed despite mud, should just build a hover truck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Developers work on changing how unlocking of technologies happen and possibly hover pads will not be available in the early phase of the game.
    Upgrading from wheels to hover-pads would definitely be a good feeling after the player experienced a little-bit the difficulties of driving through mud.

Post Thanks / Like
    While I would like to see muddy terrain added, I can also see major difficulties in implementing it correctly. The mud would probably need to be treated as a layer of semi-solid fluid over the normal surface and the vehicles would sink into it more or less slowly depending on factors like:

- Is the mud wet from current or recent rain?
    - How much does the vehicle weight?
    - Are there enough wheels to share the load?
    - Are we trying to accelerate faster than the mass and the friction allows?

The last one is especially important, with the current on/off propulsion controls it would be almost impossible to not dig into the mud in seconds.
    So I hope we get proper gamepad/Wheel/HOTAS support before mud or collision damage is added to the game.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mud, Ice, Sand.. all of these would be nice touches for a final release candidate. Each poses their own navigational hazards - getting stuck in mud or sand, slipping or breaking through Ice, all interesting environmental challenges.

Post Thanks / Like
    I look forward to more environmental dangers, but PN really needs more ways to fight them.

Area heaters to fight the cold, coolers to fight the heat, shields to fight acid rain, med chair to recover from an animal attack, and etc.

A greenhouse should work great in colder biomes, but should the last thing you want in a lava field.

Post Thanks / Like
    This could be neat but water resistance isn't even implemented so I suspect it may be very difficult to achieve.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Indigo View Post
    Mud, Ice, Sand.. all of these would be nice touches for a final release candidate. Each poses their own navigational hazards - getting stuck in mud or sand, slipping or breaking through Ice, all interesting environmental challenges.
    Well if such terrain are added to slow down ground vehicles then would it not be ideal to have strong gust of wind, hail, or other environmental changes to slow down flyer to force some area to use ground or sea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Falien View Post
    Well if such terrain are added to slow down ground vehicles then would it not be ideal to have strong gust of wind, hail, or other environmental changes to slow down flyer to force some area to use ground or sea.
    Yes, but developers have to consider that once air blades were unlocked, players do not want to give up on therm.
    Starcraft offered progression during campaign. Each new unit added, was at that moment the best for the map being presented. Players had the freedom to choose the old units or the new ones which in that particular map had an advantage.
    Campains are like long term tutorials: players have the freedom of choice but will choose the new stronger units.