Thread: Using drawings as a template

Post Thanks / Like

Question Using drawings as a template

Excuse me for my english (google)

Hello, is it possible to create a drawing, for example two containers, and attach them to an existing pipeline or container?
    It would be very nice, especially useful for me, to create a certain inclined plane,
    then use it as a single unit.

It would not hurt more inclined blocks with different angles. The ideal solution would be to create a block of three or more points.

Post Thanks / Like
    The blocks inside a grid have integer coordinates and no rotation. To change that, developers should rework some concepts at a basic level.
    For the same reason we cannot attach blocks to the sloped sides of some blocks.
    I am not sure if this is what your question was about. If not, then you have to add more details. Maybe some pictures too, or reference to other games where such things are possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    I mean the ability to create an object according to the drawing and attach it to an existing structure.
    And about the creation of an object by points .. something like this:
    there is a wall 'A' and a wall 'B'. marking the points of the tops of the walls, thus creating a ceiling as thick as one "cube", and covering all the points indicated.

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like attaching a blueprint-created grid to an existing grid is what they are looking for.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Replicator would need to have the ability to add one 1x1 area as a base point during or after making a blueprint. As long as the base point is in the outer edge of the blueprint this should be relatively doable as the base point could act like a conveyor port on a machinery block.

My latest wheeled vehicle would have been so much easier to build if after finishing one quarter of its suspension system I could have just replicated it three times. It would also be great if we could mirror the blueprints, as that would allow dismantling one side of a vehicle and then after adding a few blocks to widen it we could just replicate the missing half instead of rebuilding it by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. The addition of blueprints was fantastic but if we could snap blueprints to other objects prior to building them that would be amazing. I would like to be able to create blueprints for components like battery packs so that I don't have to build each one block by block. Right now I can create those blueprints, but they can't be built into an existing object.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the blocks in the blueprints would be build in sequence, the only problem left would be to prevent assigning the base point to any "secondary" grids, as in the wrong side of any suspension blocks although I don't know if it is a game engine or user interface limitation?

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone who has played Avorion and used the option to save block assemblies to paste into their designs later will likely have encountered a fairly clever way of snapping an assembly to another assembly. You essentially paste the part in, so that it's ghosted and trying to attach to whatever your cursor is pointed at, but by holding a key (Shift I believe) you can "free rotate" around the part you are installing and select the point / face that you want to be the insertion point. Then when you release the Shift key, it goes back to normal insert mode, but it is aligning that selected face to what you are pointing at. If the pasted assembly fits on the selected face and doesn't collide with the rest of the structure, it shows green and lets you click to drop it in place.

That type of system would be very handy for attaching, say, a conveyor & machinery blueprint to an existing structure. Even just being able to select the insertion point (like an open conveyor port) on the blueprint as the default snap location would be quite usable.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was a little bit sad to see this blueprint solution, because we discussed this wish a long time ago. However developers never promised that they will do it this way. They used the word "if possible". Maybe it was a too big effort to fit into the 2018 roadmap. Even so, when we look at the roadmap, I have the feeling they have delays. Maybe they will consider such improvements after the winter sales.