Thread: Terrain filling suggestion

Post Thanks / Like

Terrain filling suggestion

Would it be possible to keep 2 or 3 levels of recent terrain changes to be used as an "undo" feature of the multitool for mis-digs.
    i know the current terrain generation cant allow adding terrain but can previous terrain states be saved as undo states loaded in memory even if it means a reload?

Post Thanks / Like
    It will be interesting to make some holes, place some container in them and then undo the hole digging part.
    Then trying to retrieve the containers, maybe they will fall into the planet, as it happens with wreck parts.

If developers add this change, to undo last 2 holes, people will want to point to the terrain and undo any hole, no matter how old it is. And it makes sense to be able to do that from the players perspective. The game will just upset players if will provide half solutions. And then players will not understand why they cannot add dirt over the surface.

I think developers should separate the multi-tool into dedicated tools. At least the digging part.
    And then, in a second step, to improve the terrain handling, to let us shape it as we want.

Post Thanks / Like
    well it could be added that the undo will only be available if no block has been placed after the last dig. but its an idea for the "hole" situation. we cant fill holes but maybe im sure someday someone will find a viable solution

Post Thanks / Like
    I can say with 100% certainty that it isnít an engine limitation. There are quite a few other Unity-based games that allow for both digging holes and filling in holes. Empyrion is just one example where terrain can be removed or replaced.Osiris: New Dawn is also developing more advanced terrain sculpting tools. Both are Unity-based.

So saying ďIt canít be done.Ē isnít based on fact.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it can be done but not with PN currently because of the terrain generation they use. I'm just suggesting something that might be possible without having to rewrite the terrain generator resulting in wiped saves

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BCP_Labs_YT View Post
    Yes it can be done but not with PN currently because of the terrain generation they use. I'm just suggesting something that might be possible without having to rewrite the terrain generator resulting in wiped saves
    Y'know, this is an Early Access title. A wiped save for a robust terrain editing feature would be a fair trade, IMO.

I've a couple hundred hours in the game, across many different saves. I create new saves and new planets often enough to test things out, so not a big deal to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    i know its EA and i agree a wipe for being able to fill holes and also build mountains wouldnt be that bad seeing as they were able to give us all our stuff back with the last wipe(best stacks ever ;) ) but thats you and me and im sure they have their reasons for doing it that way. all though with blueprinting now im sure they could find a way to back up everything you have in every save and just rebuild it using blueprints. could take some time for it to be restored depending on what you had built and how many saves

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as I understood it, PN's terrain is like a membrane that is never supposed to be pierced as there is nothing under it. The multitool is only making dents to it by modifying the procedural algorithm. I would imagine it like a mathematical model of scooping ice cream instead of neat cubic meter blocks in Minecraft that just have the properties x, y, z and the type of the block.

At best we may get an undo function that allows reversing our changes one step at a time, filling holes made long time ago is probably totally out of question as the game would have had to save the parameters for each removed layer instead of keeping the latest changes.

Post Thanks / Like
    The multitool makes holes with a radius of 1.7m
    And the landing pod sits in a hole which have 12m radius.
    The holes are saved in order and can be removed one by one.
    Theoretically it is possible to have a hole with it's center somewhere:
    - above the ground and you will see nothing unusual
    - below the ground and you would uncover the hole when you dig down

So it would be possible to fill back the terrain but there are a few things to consider:
    - if the player made some buildings, he will want to bury them. You cannot forbid that. They simply want to. The buildings should not fall under the surface if he tries to remove some dirt again in that place
    - the terrain should appear back in it's place in a nice way, not like in a text editor when we press "undo". We have here a game, not an editor.
    - the player may not remember where the last hole was. He may have several saves... playing maybe only once every 2 weeks... he will say "I want to fill this hole here". So the game should be able to identify how to remove the holes in the area where the player is pointing with his multitool. This could lead to a strange effect when you are in a different position: you will see how the empty area is filled sideways as if an invisible player would do that job from the position where you was when you removed the dirt.
    - the veins where the resources are located are part of the terrain generation. If you dig there, you get resources. You fill the hole and you dig again, you get resources again. Is it ok? Developers are working on a new terrain generation. Maybe they will allow resource depletion when we mine with the auto-miner, for survival purposes. If they want to have such a game-play, then they have to consider what materials we can use to fill the holes.

Also people will want to put more dirt in places where no holes are, to level the terrain or to build some terrain shapes. Just filling the holes will look like a half done job which will bring no positive reviews.

Until terrain shaping will be started as a serious task, it would be easier to add a different key binding for digging and a different laser color to that action. Then people will not make holes by mistake.

Post Thanks / Like
    You know, just a series of dirt blocks - 1x1, 2x2, and 3x3, plus the 1x1 and 1x2 slopes and angled slopes, all of which can be placed "penetrating" the ground - would fix this almost completely. It wouldn't restore grass or whatever, but at least you could fill holes.

Or, yes, bury your buildings.

I would in fact excavate a hole, build my base in it, and then bury that base. I mean, you're on an alien world with verifiably hostile, large creatures. While block damage isn't yet implemented, the story bits you can collect - and the ruined structures you find them in - suggest that eventually Godillos may be able to break your walls. Burying them, making the whole thing as concealed as possible, is the most logical response possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Assuming the AI will be so smart to be able to pass a moat, even assuming they add flying creatures to take away the advantage of having a jet pack, you can do such a base as you say Pax

Make the hole smaller than one of these structures and cover it
    Nothing can destroy them.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1220242123

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1220978571

The blocks which would look like dirt would be a bit misleading when you want to remove dirt. Those blocks will vanish in one go, will not allow the player to carve a hole in them. If you would dig near such a shape, you would see the edges. Those dirt like shapes should stay in the air, just like real dirt - and is possible:

Or even better if defense is important, you can make a floating island and build your base on top of it.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1126503278

The only question is if we get flying creatures.

But real dirt having the shapes you mention Pax, that is also possible I guess.
    At least it makes sense to me that in the same way how the holes are carving out shapes from the surface, they could add something to it. Then you would end up with balls of dirt with 1.7m radius (or other shapes if developers make them). The game would have to recreate everything you did in the same order:
    hole, land fill, hole, land fill... But it wouldn't be a problem in my opinion if the developers optimize the code. The code optimization take a lot of time.
    I think such a solution would be part of a terrain shaping task which, if players will ask often enough, developers might plan it in the next roadmap.

If developers reach the end of my text wall... I repeat once more as a question: wouldn't be easier to add a different key binding for digging and a different laser color to that action? Then people will not make holes by mistake. The different multitool modes should be shown visually somewhere too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know you can dig out a hole and build into it, digging as you go. I've done it myself.

But if you make a mistake, and dig _too much_ ... that's it, you're hosed, there's no undoing that mistake. I've done THAT, too. Once, after a whole hour of careful building and digging (in Creative, but _still_ ...), and THAT, after two hours of searching out just the right place to build it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I see what you mean Pax. It is needed as a Quality of Life feature. I could give similar examples when I build something and I break it by mistake. I was very annoyed when I tried to collect the fruit of a plant and I burned it. :( I cannot forget that. When I dismantle blocks, I associate that action with "retrieving resources" not with a "destroy" action. And so I made that mistake to destroy the plant near my base. I still blame the developers for that mistake I made 14 months ago.

I am not sure if you follow the Steam forum and discussions there.
    From what I noticed, after the 0.9.2.1 blueprint update, developers communicate more on Steam forum.
    They have there this weekly thread:
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/50405...6452595873208/

In the post from 1st of October they say:

We will have better overall view on the number of issues and better data for planning bugfixing vs. new features. You will also have possibility to vote on bugs that affects you, to help us set the priorities.

If it will prove itself, we will see if we will introduce similar system for feature proposals.
    There are many QoL improvements and also new features to add.
    I hope they will add that voting system for features soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BCP_Labs_YT View Post
    Y'know, this is an Early Access title. A wiped save for a robust terrain editing feature would be a fair trade, IMO.

I've a couple hundred hours in the game, across many different saves. I create new saves and new planets often enough to test things out, so not a big deal to me.