Thread: Too many clones

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Too many clones

I was going through my Steam queue today and started to realize just how many games are being built around the same concept. Procedurally-generated voxel games with mining and building and trying to survive in a wilderness. There were 3 in my queue that were space/alien planet-themed. Many were castaway/deserted island themed, but ultimately it equates to the same thing.

I fear the devs here are going to have to really step up their game if they want to survive the growing sea of like games. Else, this game will join the ranks of vaporware. I have high hopes for this game as I really like it, but it won't survive if another game does the same thing better.

I understand that this whole sandbox/survival building genre came of a cross between the procedural generation debuted by No Man's Sky and the Voxel system of Minecraft, but does anyone know what the first of these games was?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaosmaster View Post
    ... but does anyone know what the first of these games was?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anothe...d_(video_game)
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/2...rsary_Edition/

You are a living proof that people, even if they have several identical games, they will buy one more
    Most reviews come after 50-100 hours of playing.
    If the time spent by the players on this game before moving to the next one, was good enough, the game will get positive reviews.
    No need to keep them happy 6000 hours. It is not a MMO.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaosmaster View Post
    I was going through my Steam queue today and started to realize just how many games are being built around the same concept. Procedurally-generated voxel games with mining and building and trying to survive in a wilderness. There were 3 in my queue that were space/alien planet-themed. Many were castaway/deserted island themed, but ultimately it equates to the same thing.

I fear the devs here are going to have to really step up their game if they want to survive the growing sea of like games. Else, this game will join the ranks of vaporware. I have high hopes for this game as I really like it, but it won't survive if another game does the same thing better.

I understand that this whole sandbox/survival building genre came of a cross between the procedural generation debuted by No Man's Sky and the Voxel system of Minecraft, but does anyone know what the first of these games was?
    what similar games have you found?
    Might be worth playing while we wait.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Azirahael View Post
    what similar games have you found?
    Might be worth playing while we wait.
    Well. There are a few that look promising, but I'm not sure how the devs here will feel about me advertising other games...

Just search for tags: Survival, Open World, Sandbox

There is one that involves touching everything with an immortal chicken which is probably the next game I am going to get as it looks like they added humor to the genre.
    Last edited by Xaosmaster; 01-10-2018 at 10:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anytime there is a success there will always be knock-offs, but when it comes open word, survival, sandbox games I think it has been something players and creators have been graving sense D&D came out and now it is finally possible.

Currently I would say the horror games are the genre being over done in the PC game market, maybe that is because I personally I have no interest in it. At least with open-world, survival you have some verity; space, medieval, fantasy, pirate, post war, plane crash, and I just got a zombie open-world, survival yesterday.

The same thing happens in TV, currently remaking 80s shows is big, and there are no westerns or space shows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Viking View Post
    Currently I would say the horror games are the genre being over done in the PC game market, maybe that is because I personally I have no interest in it. At least with open-world, survival you have some verity; space, medieval, fantasy, pirate, post war, plane crash, and I just got a zombie open-world, survival yesterday.
    Is it a 'foggy' zombie open world survival game?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, but by a different name, it is cheap enough I will not need to play it long to get my money’s worth.
    I really don’t foresee playing it anywhere near the 850 and growing hours that I got into PN, it is too much shooter and not enough builder for my taste.

My short play did make me appreciate PN’s none endless spawn of attackers.

I think “Spore” was the game that started the procedural generate game genre.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are lots of voxel based open world survival games ...and all seem to have the same underlying issues.

The game designers focus on the mining/refining/building and forget to give you a reason to actually do it. Some try to lean toweards multiplayer play to get other players to provide threat/motivation....others just don't bother or throw in some half baked AI

What the genre is REALLY missing is a game that goes beyond sandbox building and actually gives a reason, goal and challenge to focus your efforts.

Subnautica has probably come closest for me in the last few years, scoring on the diversity of life, threats, and making a satisfying world to explore.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Clone Wars!
    Planet Nomads was the first. The others just inspired themselves by looking into standard crystal balls. These devs even traveled to 40 Eridani A to gather materials, as professionally required by Congenia Consortium.
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/50405...13724893972528
    The superluminal speed caused them to glitch into out times and now they have to implement the game on our primitive computers...

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry it was not the 1st. I don't know the game ..is on STEAM and your in a space suit and you mine on the planet and other planets. They are not exactly the same yet... for ME way to much the same. I have to mine..do things to stay alive.. I have to BUILD things to do other things. Allot like it or not is copy and paste based on seeing how good the OTHER one is doing.

For me on Mac/PC one 1080TI vs 1070 or AMD 580 (osx 10.13.6/Mojave) PC VS MAC runs the same. This is the latest version. I searched and at 1st was reading people with same problem but.. then looked at the post dates it was MONTHS ago. After this much time this will push people away. They will ALWAYS have FANS that OMG is the best.. IT RUNS FLAWLESS.

I have nothing to gain here. One system is Ryzen 2700x the other Intel 4970k. One 24gb ram other 28gb. And Window 10 latest preview enterprise and other Windows 10 default reg updates. I test allot. I do enjoy the game.