Thread: What does an Item Dispenser really do?

Post Thanks / Like

Question What does an Item Dispenser really do?

Ok, so I have this really good idea.

If I put an item dispenser on a replicator, then, theoretically, it should be able to read what items I have in my suit inventory, and I should be able to build directly from that inventory, right?

Wrong

I guess I really don't understand how the item dispenser really works. Anyone have a good understanding of this gizmo you are willing to share?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Close, but backwards. The item dispenser simply provides your player suit access to any storage it's connected to (as long as you have the wi-fi looking symbol indicating you are in range). It is a 1 way ticket, tossing parts out to you as you build. So, if you have a bajillion frames and plates built and in the conveyor network that the dispenser is attached to, you can build basic blocks till your mouse finger is exhausted. It cannot see your suit inventory parts and pull them away from your character to use in a base machine.

It's basically a way to massively expand the available inventory space for your character during building. You just have to make sure that all of your storage is properly connected (you can see every container you want when accessing the storage inventory of a container in the network). So, throw all of your suit items into a storage box attached to your replicator, connect the dispenser to the box, and you are golden! The replicator will pull items it needs from the storage box internally, and you can then access items made by the replicator wirelessly through the dispenser.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Vrmithrax, you are an excellent teacher. That explanation made total sense.

I also note that you are a homeboy. We Oregonians have to stick together lest those Southern Californians all move up here and displace us!

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to help! I struggled with understanding just how it worked early on as well, and really wished it was a bi-directional connection for convenience, but once you get the hang of how it works you really appreciate the convenience of being untethered from your inventory. Feels like it reduces some of the "keep going to grab x and y and z components" grind on building that you get in other similar games.

And yes, those of us from the PNW need to stick together! I'm a "local" transplant (grew up in eastern WA), but Portland has been home for 14 of the last 25 years.