Thread: [LOW PRIORITY] Angular momentum bug

Post Thanks / Like

[LOW PRIORITY] Angular momentum bug

I was testing yesterday the snapping issues of the hover-pads and I ended up making this system, which doesn't work quite as expected... See the video.

Post Thanks / Like
    ive seen the same thing. to me it seems like the hitbox of the hoverpad is touching the wall. thats why i started adding hoverpads around the outer ring facing in to avoid those "dead zones"

Post Thanks / Like

My build is a copy of what developers made when they first presented the hover-pads.
    If I complete the gaps with half blocks then the system keeps rotating.
    Therefore the presence of the gaps is also a cause. If the hover-pads do not detect for a moment the wall, then the pushing force is not applied.
    Maybe the colliders touch in the same moment when the force is 0 ?
    If yes, why at the end of the video, at second 40, the rotation just slows? Best seen with a 0.25 speed.
    If there is some collision, that should stop the movement completely. Maybe the rotating plate axis wobbles too?

Post Thanks / Like
    what it could be is maybe the pads only interact with blocks within 2 blocks but maybe area of the pad that affects blocks stops at the edge of the ring and doesnt count the small tips on the outside of the ring making a very tiny deadzone so adding slopes in the corners could keep the distance always under 2 blocks.
    there has been times to where i have tension on it like the clock and it will sometimes stop perfectly parallel in that deadzone. i thought it was the wheels catching the small grid but it could be that hoverpad issue

Post Thanks / Like
    Physics say that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted on by an external torque.
    For a short time the pads provide no push. During that short period, due to inertia, the pads go past the that zone. Except in some cases.
    Maybe there is some other problem here too...

Is there any delay between the moment of detecting the blocks and the moment the force is applied?
    If yes, then it could happen that the force is not always perpendicular to the hover pads.