Thread: Extreme Weather Conditions And Their Impact

Post Thanks / Like

Extreme Weather Conditions And Their Impact

Hello, folks.

Got the game last weekend and now I'm annoyed I have a job and a mid-week birthday so I can't play it all the time.

From what I've spent playing the game I've already had a blast but a thought or two pop up regarding what could be done to amp the survival challenge a bit. Extreme weather is the first of many features I'd love to see. As it is, rain only temporarily halts your construction efforts and is easily overcome by taking a nap. Furthermore, it doesn't have that much impact on the player if he's exploring without a vehicle and can just as easily be "waited out" to avoid any negative impacts.

Wouldn't it be neat if storms would get so nasty one would have trouble navigating the world and not just hearing "your nipples are hard" warnings from the suit AI? Blizzards, thunderstorms, heat waves, all dependent on the season and biome the player is located in could have an impact on the world and by extension the player. Imagine prolonged storms that destroys plant life the player frequently collects or scare away the animal life into "hiding" preventing the player from easy access to food. It would force us to devote time to stockpile foodstuffs in an effort to survive these extreme conditions. Droughts in dry areas could make procuring water trickier. Speaking of which, the water table beneath the ground is a bit of a let down, making it very easy to stay hydrated. Water should be treated like a resource and be trickier to find, forcing us to build in an area with water supply nearby.

The impact of the weather on the habitats and exposed equipment could be a thing, requiring repairs and smarter construction to tackle the issue. Simply building a roof over a platform you're building a vehicle on shouldn't be enough.

I realize the game is still in development but there are ample things that could be added from the environment side alone that would amp the challenge.

Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    There's been a few discussions both here and over on the Steam forum about environmental effects. A lot of that discussion was about perhaps making the biomes more challenging and creating situations that cater to (or deter) different vehicle styles - basically something to generate reasons to have to use each different propulsion type if you want to get to certain places, get certain rare resources, etc.

Your thoughts about extreme weather could tie into that well. A huge blowing blizzard would be something that would make flying impossible, but a wheeled vehicle would be practical. High heat waves would melt wheels, so flyers or hover vehicles would be better there. You could take it in so many directions and really create challenges just by changing up the parameters of the environment! And we could even look at suit upgrades to compliment the environmental scenarios: specific suit builds that do better in one environment than the other (protects better from cold or heat maybe), or just the generic suit that does average in all but slowly degrades your health in extremes.

And I agree about the water table, it needs to be a little more of a challenge to get to - desert biomes should require a much deeper well be dug to hit water, for example. And we should seriously have a basic water trap (fabric, frame, mechanical parts maybe) to gather and collect atmospheric moisture, that is Basic Survival 101.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some effects could help the immersion and maybe also the survival:
    • geysers
    • mud volcanoes
    • eclipses
    • earthquakes (at least the sound if it)
    • thunders
    • auroras
    • comets
    • meteors

And maybe some exotic phenomena we do not normally see on Earth

Post Thanks / Like
    The frequency of weather phenomena must be configurable. Separately for each type.
    You never know what different players might expect and it will also increase replay value.