Thread: Impossible to connect blocks using multiple moving parts?

Post Thanks / Like

Impossible to connect blocks using multiple moving parts?

I have noticed that whenever I try to build something that multiple rotors/suspensions that the blocks will not stick together at some point. It seems like you can't completely connect one grid of blocks that have a moving part to another moving part no matter where you start the building chain. I haven't tested with hinges yet, but I would assume it is the same thing.

To put it less complicated, it seems like blocks built on either side of a moving part are treated as independent block grids and can never connect to each other.

Is this going to be addressed at some point?

It severely limits the creativity of building.
    Last edited by Xaosmaster; 14-09-2018 at 03:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, rotating plates, hinges and suspensions create a 2nd grid (or sub-grid in this game).
    You cannot connect sub-grids with anything else. You can only create additional sub-grids by adding rotating plates, hinges and suspensions to them.

How is this problem solved in Space Engineer?
    How do you bring close to each-other two grids which you want to connect, like the ends of a caterpillar track which should merge together?
    Does it have an editor where the physics is not simulated and you can pull one end with the mouse and drag it over the other end?

Also, how is the performance of such constructions?
    I just noticed moments ago, looking in the Besiege workshop, many caterpillar tracks. That game is also on Unity, I guess version 5.4.
    I wonder how other games solve such things.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaosmaster View Post
    Is this going to be addressed at some point?
    I am also curious.

Post Thanks / Like
    You have 'Merge Blocks' in SE that can pull 2 grids together, but in simple cases like this, you wouldn't need to merge grids because as long as 2 blocks touch evenly (i.e lined up in perfect symmetry) , they are merged on the same grid. I think it is because blocs there merge on multiple sides simultaneously, whereas here only 1 side merges at a time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. Grids should be able to snap to each other if they are aligned enough. I have done it in Medieval Engineers but it resulted in my farmhouse raising up 2 feet. It could be done here but what would a forceful realignment of a grid do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Linking sub grids was buggy in Space Engineers too. Forcing grids together with merge blocks could result in some serious physics meltdowns. Creating frames with multiple pistons on them was something I did a lot of...and I broke a lot of stuff.

It was useful when it worked....but I don;t think the developers intended the block to be used the way it was. It was intended to allow ships to connect to items or to link up where you needed to control systems as well as transfer cargo.

Once it was out there....people found all sorts of uses for it