Thread: Freewheel mode for wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Freewheel mode for wheels

Currently....wheels have odd behaviour in terms of how they roll.

No power...they don't seem to roll at all.

With power...they free-wheel when you get in teh cab and drive, and lock on exit.

Can we have a 'freewheel' toggle where the wheel rolls freely with or without power? Making a 'dumb trailer' is a lot harder than it should be. Unless I missed something here? I'm not seeing them roll without power.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can place wheels on rotating plates to make rollers or wheel bearings as I tend to call them

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah...that's what I resorted to ... but it limits the way you use wheels and prevents any narrow pairing too...as you can't stick a wheel on a wheel...another thing I would like to be able to change.

Post Thanks / Like
    When you place your un-powered wheels are you setting a direction on them? I think they're locked by default until you tell them which direction they're supposed to turn in. It might not even matter which direction, as long as you choose one. I have a few airships with un-powered wheels that seem to rotate fine on the ground.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, it's been a thorn in our sides for a while now...

https://forum.planet-nomads.com/thre...powered-wheels

https://forum.planet-nomads.com/thre...-when-disabled

The problem is that wheels currently only rotate properly when they are powered and you are driving. In all other cases, they act like the parking brake is on. They should, at the very least, have a "neutral" mode that can be toggled, rather than just assuming braking at all times.

Post Thanks / Like
    One possibly fast and dirty way to fix this temporarily would be to make it so that by powering the wheels of the trailer from a switchbox in the main vehicle, those external wheels would treated as if they would be part of the main vehicle.

Being able to chain movement commands between switchboxes could cause issues for anyone who remotely charges smaller vehicles inside their larger vehicles, so before implementing that we would need a far more complex functions for the switchbox UI.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am pretty sure I tried this...but will look at it again. If I recall right, when you switch the power off...the brakes go on.

Might have changed in the latest release, or I might have missed something hwen i did it. I'll giove it a go tonight and update this if needed.

Right now, though, I have wheels attached to unlocked rotors which works...but looks horrid in comparison to the rest, and has it's own limitations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, the attaching wheels to rotors trick is the only way around it, and it often looks horrible - throws off the look on most of my rigs, widens the wheel base more than I want, etc. It's a necessary hack at this point, but should really be handled within the wheel setup itself.