Thread: Air Blade Configuration for Forward Thrust

Post Thanks / Like

Air Blade Configuration for Forward Thrust

Hi All. Just spent almost an hour searching through the forums trying to find relevant info.

I saw somewhere that you can use Air Blades on wheeled vehicles to add thrust. I am having trouble trying to configure these correctly. Can someone point me to a good link explaining how it is done?

- Which direction should they be mounted? Which direction should the blades spin? What to set steering at?

Any help appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I figured it out last night. I didn't realize that you had to hold the spacebar for it to work. For anyone else that wants to know, Mount the fans vertically with the arrow on the frame facing backwards. Blade direction should be clockwise when you are looking at the back side of it (i.e. direction of travel). Set stabilization to off. Direction you have to trial and error, but never set it to 'No Direction'. The fans will still work in that config, but the vehicle will drift left or right as those fans pivot.

Holding spacebar, I could maintain 50 KPH underwater so it is pretty awesome.

Fun Fact, These can help you if you flip the vehicle also. Set stabilization on and play with the other settings. Usually you can play with it enough to get it to flip rightside-up.
    Last edited by Xaosmaster; 04-09-2018 at 04:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaosmaster View Post
    I saw somewhere that you can use Air Blades on wheeled vehicles to add thrust. I am having trouble trying to configure these correctly.
    (A) Mount these VERTICALLY.

(B) Make sure that the blade's DOWN direction, is towards the BACK of your vehicle.

(C) .... this is the most important step ... TURN OFF STABILIZATION. (This is the part I never got right at first, myself.)

Once you've got all that set up, you can use the Spacebar to add forward thrust/boost.
    Last edited by _Pax_; 07-09-2018 at 09:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by _Pax_ View Post

(B) Make sure that the blade's DOWN direction, is towards the BACK of your vehicle.
    Yes just noticed I said that wrong. Will edit and fix.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an issue with them changing their position after I've placed them. Placing them vertically perpendicular to the vehicle results in them placing parallel to the vehicle. What am I doing wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverenddel View Post
    I have an issue with them changing their position after I've placed them. Placing them vertically perpendicular to the vehicle results in them placing parallel to the vehicle. What am I doing wrong?
    Make sure you set a direction. Setting 'no direction' will make them sway around back and forth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me clarify, when placing the wireframe the circular facing is front and back of vehicle. Rims to the left and right. When finished building they've changed 90 degrees, so that the circular facing of the blades faces left and right and the rims face front and back.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverenddel View Post
    Let me clarify, when placing the wireframe the circular facing is front and back of vehicle. Rims to the left and right. When finished building they've changed 90 degrees, so that the circular facing of the blades faces left and right and the rims face front and back.
    AND turn off stabilisation.
    They go parallel until you do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, that was the trick I was missing, had completely forgot about stabilisation.