Thread: The New Blueprint Thread

Post Thanks / Like

The New Blueprint Thread

Seems the functionality is there - somewhere. Might be a really handy thing to mention in one of the F#ís. Spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out how to create or construct something from a blueprint, before giving up and playing NMS.

The video shown looks super cool, but no idea what the secret key code is to do it. Itís definitely not up, up, down, down, B, A, B, A.

So how about some instructions?

Post Thanks / Like
    It's pretty easy. Build the terminal, open it up and chose save then just point and click. The design should highlight to let you know it's selected. Once you click you should be able to name it and add a description. To build just select build and click where you want to place it. Just make sure you have supplies on you or connected to the port if you are in survival. One viewer had trouble saving but after trying in creative was able to save in both

Kickstarter Hologram Nomad Zombie Hugger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BCP_Labs_YT View Post
    Just make sure you have supplies on you or connected to the port if you are in survival.
    It is worth mentioning that the supplies need to be inside of a chest connected to the terminal. They cannot simply be in your inventory. It took me about 10 minutes of struggling to figure this out in Survival.
    Why hug a tree when you can hug a zombie?

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a rundown of my experience with Blueprints in the GOG release of Planet Nomads. As you would guess, the GOG release of the game does not have Steam integration and you can't subscribe to blueprints to install them or share them back to Steam.

Locally, blueprints seem to work the same as in Steam. First, build a replicator. It does not need power. Open the replicator by pressing E and you will see a list of blueprints that you can browse through. The game starts with a few blueprints provided by Craneballs.

Selecting a blueprint will give you a thumbnail image of it, a description, and a list of meterials needed. If the Build button is greyed out, it probably means your replicator can't find the parts needed (check the materials list for any that are colored in red). To build the blueprint, click the BUILD button, walk over to a clear area where you want to build it and press the left mouse button or equivalent. You can build anywhere there is enough clearance, including in the sky. If the frame around the build area is green, your build is ungrounded and will be dropped and free to move as soon as it's built (like a vehicle). If the frame is yellow, part of the build area is in the ground and your build will be fixed to the ground and stationary (like a building). If the frame is red, part of the build area doesn't have enough clearance and you will need to level or clear debris from the build area or pick another build area. I haven't found a limit yet on how far you can set the build area from the replicator, but it's farther than I'd want to walk. Note that you cannot attach the new build onto an existing build, at least at this time. They will remain separate "grids" and the new build will just fall onto the existing one (and then physics will take over)

To create a blueprint of your own, click the NEW button. You will get a first-person camera view. You can walk around and find any of your constructions you want to create a blueprint of. The background of the picture is dimmed and the "grid" you have selected becomes brighter, so the object that the blueprint applies to will end up highlighted in the image. When you have the right "grid" selected, click the left mouse button and you'll get a dialog box where you can set a name and a description of the blueprint. Fill these in and hit the CREATE button to save your blueprint. The blueprint will now appear in your list of blueprints.

Now for the differences. Unlike Craneballs's blueprints or ones from the Steam Workshop, your blueprint will not have your name on it. If you click the SHARE button on one of your blueprints, you'll get a dialog box asking if you want to open the directory where the blueprint is stored. On my installation, this directory is C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Craneballs\Pl anetNomads\UserConstructions in a numbered directory. The number seems to be a timestamp, ensuring your new blueprint won't clobber an existing one.

A few things I've learned: The numbered (timestamp) directory, which I will call the Blueprint directory, contains three files. Blueprint.xml contains the actual grid information. MetaData.xml contains the blueprint name, description, the Author name, and the timestamp again. The PNG file is the preview thumbnail image that appears in the replicator. The Blueprint directory doesn't have to be a number. I renamed one of mine to TheGriffin-BlackAnt as a test and it was still found in the list of blueprints. It does need to remain in the UserConstructions directory though.

You can edit the MetaData.xml file to put your name in the <Author> field. It's in XML, so to do this you'll need to close Planet Nomads, back up the Blueprint directory just in case, change the <Author /> tag to <Author> your name </Author> and then save it. When you restart Planet Nomads, your blueprint will show your name in the list now.

So, moment of truth. Can we non-Steam users share our blueprints? I'm attaching a test vehicle here, a little 6-wheeler ATV that is fairly quick and cheap to build. If someone wouldn't mind, please try to extract the attached ZIP file to your UserConstructions directory and see if it works. Please back up your directory first, just in case. It's also possible SWUserConstructions might work too? I haven't tested that.

Next on my agenda is to see if I can figure out a way to download some of these cool vehicles off of Steam and make them work on my install.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1X7-n5cYQqE11SyliL3tPc5XFxZCP4JHR

Black Ant
    TheGriffin-BlackAnt.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to download vehicles from the Steam workshop and make them visible in my GOG install of Planet Nomads.
    First, here's the page that pointed me in the right direction:
    https://www.gog.com/forum/shadowrun_...ut_using_steam
    It gives at least a couple methods of accessing the Steam workshop outside of Steam.

1) Browse to https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/57...hop-downloader. Click the question mark to get possible script managers for your browser. I'm running Chrome, so I Tampermonkey. This took me to the browser plugin page and I was able to install it from there. I did not have to restart my browser, your results may differ.
    2) Browse to https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/57...hop-downloader again, this time click the button to install this script. Again, I did not have to restart my browser, you may have different results.
    3) Browse to https://steamcommunity.com -- you should not need to have a steam account, I tested this process while not logged in.
    4) Click the Community menu at the top, then click Workshop.
    5) In the "Search for a Workshop" bar on the right, type Planet Nomads and select it from the list or hit the magnifying glass icon or press Enter.
    6) Using the Home or Browse/Item menu, select an item you want to download.
    7) You may be prompted about cross-site scripting between steamcommunity.com and api.steam.com or something like that. You will need to allow it.
    8) Create a folder to contain this blueprint. The folder needs to go in the AppData\LocalLow\Craneballs\Pl anetNomads\UserConstructions directory like I described in the post above.
    9) Below the pictures of the item should be a set of buttons, and one of those buttons should say Download. Click it. Sometimes I need to click it twice.
    10) Your browser should begin downloading a file. If it's a zip file, just open it. If it didn't give it a .zip extension, find the file and rename it to end in .zip so that it can be opened.
    11) Extract the files from the zip file into the folder you created in step 8 above. All the zip files I've checked so far just had the three files I described in the post above, no directory or anything. If that changes, you'll need to move the files to the directory you created and get rid of the directory the zip file created.
    12) Next time you start Planet Nomads, the blueprint should appear in the replicator. Surprisingly, author name isn't being set in the MetaData.xml file for the ones I've downloaded, so you might want to set it if you want to keep track of it. Not sure how that works for the Steam users.

So, at this point, I think the only thing I can't do with the GOG Planet Nomads install is upload to Steam's workshop, and I seriously doubt that's possible. Next best option I have right now is to create a thread on this forum to post our blueprints to, unless Craneballs has future plans for this.

I celebrated by downloading BCP Labs's "Green Ball" blueprint and rolling it down a mountain for the wickedest game of Marble Madness ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Griffin,
    Here it is your blueprint
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1501080381
    I can also add you as contributor is you have a Steam account.
    Feel free to contact me and I will upload other blueprints too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hadn't noticed the replicator first.. now I've got this. As a special thank you, I have uploaded a vehicle blueprint that is one of my absolute favorites, and an indispensable part of my collection.

Behold:

The Animauler is specially designed for dealing with the most annoying beasts - Godillos, but it works equally well on all unwanted indigenous lifeforms, turning pests into pastes, and nests into nothing with minimal effort. Available now on Steam!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Menzagitat! I was less worried about having the vehicle hosted on Steam than I was seeing if we could swap blueprints without it, but you answered that with a resounding yes. I will probably post some other things to appropriate threads, but don't feel like you need to repost everything to Steam for me. If you see something that interests you, you're welcome to it.

Indigo: That's some nice timing, I've been building a bulldozer for clearing animals around nests to harvest for bio-containers, and this looks like it may do the job nicely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGriffin View Post
    ...I will probably post some other things to appropriate threads, but don't feel like you need to repost everything to Steam for me. If you see something that interests you, you're welcome to it.
    If I notice somebody want his blueprints posted, I will be glad to help.
    I am not interested to promote my own creations very much as I am more focused to find bugs and playing the survival and exploration part.
    So, anybody who wants to share, feel free to share

Post Thanks / Like
    @Indigo

I built something similar for clearing trees and rocks to make roadways a bit easier to navigate when trailblazing between bases. It works on Godillos too....but that was a side effect and not what I built it for

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1503112294

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Menzagitat View Post
    If I notice somebody want his blueprints posted, I will be glad to help.
    I am not interested to promote my own creations very much as I am more focused to find bugs and playing the survival and exploration part.
    So, anybody who wants to share, feel free to share
    Can you maybe but the code here as well for use fellow GOG users?

Post Thanks / Like
    How careless - I forget the link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...scn=1535986671

Non-Steamers... I'm not sure how you obtain these, but if there is a way I have file hosting available to me to post, just not sure what to post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Indigo View Post
    How careless - I forget the link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...scn=1535986671

Non-Steamers... I'm not sure how you obtain these, but if there is a way I have file hosting available to me to post, just not sure what to post.
    Hi all

Even though I have a Steam Account my PN is on GOG. I have tried to upload blueprints from Steam but Steam requires the user to have PN on Steam.

I wonder id GOG will have a scheme to share blue prints the alternative is to repurchase PN on Steam to gain access to the ever increasing blueprints and to share.

Post Thanks / Like
    SWEET Nest clearer! Indigo.

Tried to turn my present into a garden-foundation blueprint, but the system does not see the hole in the center and can’t be place around plants.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1442329135
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1503763623

I did create a street-rod blueprint, just to try it out.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...702&searchtext=

I had some old cool creations I wanted to blueprint, but I lost my old save files.
    I’ll have to search some more, I really wanted to add this
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1221818672

With all the vehicles already in the workshop, I’m thinking I’ll do some buildings, entrances, or something out of the norm.
    I’ll happily take request.
    Last edited by Casual Viking; 05-09-2018 at 05:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, this is cool!

I was inspired to try to work on some non-VTOL aircraft after flying around in Ning130's "SPEED" aircraft from steam:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...41&searchtext=

Seriously, kudos to Ning130 for getting a working aircraft that fast and that small. Download it and give it a try, it's fast and fun. Only a shame about the battery life.

After two nights of wanting to see what I could do (that I really should have spent doing something more productive), I have a working prototype of an aircraft that can sort-of control like a plane.

TheGriffin-GX07.jpg
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1f3...-2jEOHV2VIjgn1

Small aircraft, 6 airblades
    1760kg, Size 12x12x4, 34 blocks
    Power: Deuterium, 100x20 minutes
    Speed: 50kph
    NOT A VTOL! Early prototype aircraft capable of pitch, roll, loop, bank. Fidgety, hard to manage, slow, ugly.
    Hold SPACEBAR for forward thrust, Ctrl for reverse, S to pitch up, W to pitch down, A and D to roll. Good luck!
    Start off somewhere with some clear space on the ground. The desert has been my choice for test sites, lots of flat sands there. Building a runway is probably also a good idea.

Hold space to apply thrust, which should get you moving. Pretty much never turn loose of it until landing. Hold the "S" key for a moment to pitch the nose up and you should go airborne. From now on, gravity is trying to pull the plane out of the sky and the nose will be dipping slowly, so tap "S" however often you need to to keep it pitched up a bit from level; that should counter the altitude loss.

Once you have some altitude, you can hold the S key down and do loops. It pitches over very fast, so it's easy to lose control.

On this aircraft, the A and D keys don't yaw the craft to the side, they roll the around its nose. To turn, tap the A or D to roll until you get to about a 45 degree angle, then tap the S key to climb into the turn. Don't spend too long in the roll, it doesn't balance well past about 45 degrees, and keeping the nose up is hard. Give yourself time and lots of room. You can, of course, roll all the way over. You will probably end up facing a different direction than you started, and flying into the ground.

How it's done: all six airblades are arranged with "down" facing the back and stability off to blow front to back. The front two airblades control the pitch: they are rotated with "forward" facing down, and configured to pull air up when you push forward, and pull air down when you push backward. This causes the nose to go up or down. The rear two airblades are just for weight and thrust at this time; I originally added them in case I needed to pitch the back in the opposite direction from the front, but then it pitches too much to control. The airblades on the wings are actually installed with "forward" facing towards the plane. This makes left and right apply upward and downward force on the wings, causing the craft to roll.

Basically, it's a slow, hard-to-control beast that defies logic and physics, and I'm tickled that it's even possible. This game, you guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I've developed the prototype into an aircraft I'm reasonably happy with. Meet the Peregrine.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11e...oBjxWUAWL3kDTE

TheGriffin-Peregrine.jpg

Peregrine
    Medium aircraft, 10 airblades 4 wheels
    3445kg, Size 16x20x5, 56 blocks
    Power: Deuterium, 100x12 minutes
    Speed: 52kph
    NOT A VTOL! Aircraft capable of pitch, roll, loop, bank. Stable, well balanced, fairly easy to fly and land. Hold SPACEBAR for forward thrust, Ctrl for reverse, S to pitch up, W to pitch down, A and D to roll or bank. Good luck!
    This craft has many more airblades than the earlier prototype. They are needed for lift and stability. The added horizontal blades, slightly forward of center of mass, provide enough lift to counter the effect of gravity and help keep the nose from dropping, meaning you no longer need to tap S repeatedly. It also drifts towards level as long as you're not in a steep roll, and banks slowly while rolled so you don't have to constantly fight the bank to make small course corrections. Wheels on the front and back make takeoff and landing easier.

I'm still not happy with the appearance, but I'm close to the weight limit of the design. I did try to give it an approximation of a camouflage paint job for a little style to make up for it. It still won't go faster than 52kph. It doesn't roll as easily, but that is a small sacrifice for the improved handling in normal flight.

I consider this design final, and I'm moving on to other things. Maybe I'll come back and look at it again sometime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaver View Post
    Can you maybe but the code here as well for use fellow GOG users?
    Not sure what you mean.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheGriffin View Post
    Thanks Menzagitat! I was less worried about having the vehicle hosted on Steam than I was seeing if we could swap blueprints without it, but you answered that with a resounding yes. I will probably post some other things to appropriate threads, but don't feel like you need to repost everything to Steam for me. If you see something that interests you, you're welcome to it.
    I tested and liked both GX07 and the Peregrine
    The Peregrine feels more comfortable.
    It was the first time I used such vehicles, with stabilization off.
    It feels more realistic and a pleasure to use them.

Here are the links to the workshop:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1506448233
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1506448418

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Menzagitat. Glad you're enjoying it!

Quote Originally Posted by Menzagitat, on Steam
    Connect the switch to the generator after building it.
    Man, that's just embarrassing. I assume I disconnected the generator when I was cleaning up connections after testing to see what its fuel run time was.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess you cleaned up the generator from fuel parts too
    In creative mode it didn't worked 1st time...
    I thought maybe the containers have fuel and the blueprint is intended for survival mode... so I cheated a small number of fuel parts into the generator and uploaded it this way.

Now the blueprints bring the survival and creative mode closer together and the suggestion to be able to access inventories in creative mode, surfaces again.

Post Thanks / Like
    And now for something completely different, we go from the desert to the ocean.

TheGriffin-Leviathan.jpg
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Pj...ur_3ZRe5TAFOT2

Leviathan
    Colossal sea production building
    462095kg, Size 80x122x38, 1133 blocks
    Power: 16 batteries, 128 minutes
    Power: 28 sloped solar panels (6 fore, 6 aft, 8 port, 8 starboard, charge: ~30 minutes)

On my current save, I have an enormous deep ocean just south of the equator. I decided I wanted to build a shipyard and build large ships from it. For added challenge, I decided to make the shipyard out of floating foundations and built it in the middle of the ocean.
    The initial build was completed months ago, but with the release of blueprints, I wanted to come back to the idea, finalize the design with some improvements, simplify some of the design, and then publish a blueprint of it.

This is the Leviathan. It is composed of two buildings connected by raised walkways and a towering dome, with nothing but the sea below them.

On the starboard side is a hovercraft garage for parking after reaching the base. The garage is accessible on both sides from the sea, and a door in the garage leads to a walkway towards the rest of the base.

Above it is a VTOL parking lot with 5 conveyer connectors attached to a conveyer network, allowing ready access to materials stored in the aircraft.

On the port side is a living quarters with skylight, storage lockers, a stasis chamber, solar beacon, and production stations also connected to the conveyer network. Parts, food, and medical supplies can be produced here from supplies loaded on the VTOLs or carried in.

At the top, 8 compact containers connected to the conveyer network lead to a replicator that allows for quick and easy construction of seacraft from blueprints. The open access to the sea below allows the foundations of new craft to be built over the water and dropped into place, or for vehicles built from blueprints to be dropped directly into the water.

Solar panels point in all four directions, so there should always be enough light to keep the batteries topped off during the day.

In earlier versions (0.8.11 or so through 0.9.0.4) if you loaded a new game and came within 100 meters of the base, it would sink into the ocean and erupt out again, but that seems to have been fixed in the new engine. Similarly, the base used to disappear completely if you loaded the game over a kilometer away from it and flew towards it, and it would not appear until you saved and reloaded closer to it. I would suggest being cautious with saving and loading near the base until you know how it behaves on your install.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went outside the box and into a cliff, and did a cliff base. (Well really it is more of a starter kit, with no, equipment, power, or lights.)

I’m just showing the exposed areas, so the inside is a surprise.

Digging it out is a little work, but I think it adds a little mystery and fun to it.

Any ideas on how to improve it, lights, power, vehicle entrance?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...182&searchtext=

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Menzagitat, thanks for assigning me as a contributor on Steam for those blueprints. I wasn't aware that was even possible.