Thread: solar mode for batteries

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb solar mode for batteries

right now solar panels provide power for the day transitioning to generators through the night only using batteries when they both fail. ( solar > generator > battery) we can call this "backup mode" it is good for charging vehicles, but for a base with a good solar array this is a waste. the extra solar power is lost with the generators charging through the night

what I propose is "solar mode" (solar > battery > generator) using this mode will significantly decrease how much your generators consume when you have sufficient solar panels. in this mode batteries will actively provide power (like a solar panel) while not actively demanding power (only unused solar can recharge them) by doing this the power not used from the solar panels during the day will be used during the night until empty. then the generator can take over (or not because it's day again) and by setting it per battery vehicles can still be charge normally

as for how to represent it in build mode you could replace the ⛽ icon with ☀

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a good input/reminder for developers, now that they plan to add more features.
    We need to have shortage of resources to be able to feel the benefit of optimizing the power generation.
    I think depending on the base location, different strategies could be useful.

Maybe the player will be able to control the power consumption using those "logic gates" mentioned in the 2018 roadmap.

Post Thanks / Like
    There really does need to be some thought put into the power distribution system, to make things like this happen. If nothing else, we need to specify power priorities and perhaps even power "direction" modes (have actual inputs and outputs, vs universal bi-directional connections) to allow us to create more complex power systems like the one mentioned. Being able to say "use solar first, then these batteries, then this generator, then that generator, etc." would give interesting possibilities.

Post Thanks / Like
    A Relay block would work. Two settings/ Normal Open (off by default) and Normal Closed (on by default).

Wire it like this:
    From solar panel (switch block) to Relay Block (Normal On) to Generator.

This way when the solar panel is powered the relay changes state, turning the generator off. When the solar panel loses power the relay changes state and turns the generator on. By linking a switch board to the relay multiple solar panels can be linked together.

More complex circuitry would require additional relays.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been a fan of solar panels+batteries+switches, but with the current update, it seems that my solar panels neither power under sunlight nor do they charge batteries.

Post Thanks / Like
    I posted a new thread with an idea for a solar switch which might help in this situation, if you'd like to check it out I'd appreciate further input - https://forum.planet-nomads.com/thre...8343#post18343