Thread: virtual block for strange phisics items like treds

Post Thanks / Like

virtual block for strange phisics items like treds

is it possible to make a for lack of better term virtual block that has 2 sides and 360 degree motion it may have to bypass the physics engine or something to work properly.

I cant remember if putting a hinge inbetween 2 blocks that are already connected to the same physical grid caused it to not stick or what. if it does stick to both sides and we can use the virtual block to keep it all 1 grid that would allow things like treds to work as we could unlock the hinges and then tighten them up and place 1 last hinge between the 2 ends of the treds to make it one continous piece. if the virtual blocks get placed between the sections then the normal armor block removed to keep it all 1 grid and yet let it flex as the hinges are lined up. or it may also be a way to augment or replace the hinge with a non grid splitting flexible connection.

I was hoping the virtual block could be removed after the whole tred gets put together that way the engine could recalculate it back in to many sub grids for proper physics usage.

also making the hinges 2 blocks a start and end block placed between the start and end of the hinge surface but in reality be 1 block may solve some of the physics oddities and allow it to look right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tracked propulsion just needs to be a thing. I can think of a relatively easy means to implement it as well:

Track Wheel blocks. You place one Track Wheel Block at the start of the track, one at the end, then connect them like you’d connect a power block. Connecting them in this manner generates the actual track between them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Subgrid connecting is still an issue in the game engine. Putting a hinge between 2 different blocks doesn't connect them on both sides, in my experience - it's still a 1 way building process, the engine does not detect or calculate if the other end of the hinge is aligned to a block or not. Would sure be nice though, eh?

I had the exact same thought on the 2 part hinge idea, late in this thread: https://forum.planet-nomads.com/thre...-been-unlocked

There is supposedly a method for combining grids in the works, but we haven't heard much about that in a while... Something like that might at least help in the situation you are looking at, or give a decent workaround option. I'm really hoping for a "weld" function on the multi-tool, that we can use to force combine 2 adjacent blocks, merging them into the same subgrid. Preferably without exploding the world in the process - you know how fickle that physics engine can be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrmithrax View Post
    Subgrid connecting is still an issue in the game engine....
    Well said.
    The game had last year many problems. The cars were flying into space at the smallest collision, if those cars contained hinges or rotating plates.
    They managed to bring the physics into a more stable state.
    But still not good.

A huge building chunk if starts to fall, it may go under the water surface, may stay there for a while and then you can see it jumping out from the water and going down again several times. And I talk about a grid which is in one piece, no hinges or moving parts.

Regarding the main topic of the thread:

I hope the magnetic blocks will be implemented sometime.
    I saw old threads where developers were talking about a block, similar to winches, which will pull grids together and when those grids are close, the two grids will merge into one piece.
    They called them "grid connectors".
    Because the most often reported problem was about conveyors, they made a compromise and implemented "conveyor connectors" which do not merge grids.
    Newer threads use the "magnetic" term to describe our desired behavior, saying that the grids will still not merge but will be kept close together.

I think both versions, magnetic blocks and grid connectors, would enrich the game.

I wouldn't mind, once those grids are held together, to activate a merge function.
    The difficult part is to detect potential collisions, because there are cases where two structures are held together at let say 45° and you cannot rotate them, because parts on both of them will prevent the rotation. The grids must come to a 0° angle to be able to be merged. Or 90°, 180° or 270°.

The easy way to implement that would be to destroy the blocks which collide during the rotation process.
    But to reach that step, the destruction of blocks, electrically controlled rotor and magnetic blocks must be in the game and well tested.
    Destruction of blocks and electrically controlled rotor (and hinge) are on the 2018 roadmap.
    If magnetic blocks will make it into the game in 2019 then we can start asking about the "grid connectors".
    At that time the Unity 2018 will be in a better state too.

Would be nice if developers will stay open to such ideas too and reconsider previous statements where they said some improvements are not desired.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, Menzagitat. While something to permanently connect 2 grids together would be absolutely wonderful (similar to the merge block in Space Engineers, or a basic welding tool functionality), I'd still love to see another option for temporary connection of 2 grids. Put in a suggestion for it ages ago:

https://forum.planet-nomads.com/thre...gnetic-coupler