Thread: Question: caterpillar tracks still planned?

Post Thanks / Like

Schrodinger's caterpillar tracks: are dead or alive?

Hi Craneballs developers,

There are some pictures with vehicles made in an old editor, vehicles which have caterpillar tracks.
    https://forum.planet-nomads.com/threads/76-Battle-Tank

Are caterpillar tracks still planned to be added?

The editor was also Unity based?

Thanks
    Menzagitat
    Last edited by Menzagitat; 09-08-2018 at 05:19 PM. Reason: I placed them into a box.

Post Thanks / Like
    I certainly hope so!

Post Thanks / Like

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Harrison's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are forgot about few titans

Link

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn...I want tracks SO BADLY.

It'sa one of the things that attrascted me to the gae in the first place. I play other sandbox sutrvival/building games, but none had tracks. None really have working tracks that have been successfully made from existing blocks that work like tracks should either. The early pics of this game with them really grabbed my attention...and hten I found they had been dropped.

Please....UNDROP THEM!

And for those citing Space Engineers 'tracked vehicles' those things have lots of bodges and owrkarounds, and usually require block damage to be turned off. One guy here has built a tracked vehicle and got it to run before it exploded. I did the same. But you cannot steer them.

~Would maker a lovely Christmas Present....hint hint

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flakmagnet1701 View Post
    It'sa one of the things that attrascted me to the gae in the first place...
    The picture which I posted, is the background image of https://www.planet-nomads.com/buy/

Quote Originally Posted by Flakmagnet1701 View Post
    I found they had been dropped.
    Do you have a link to that announcement?
    I remember that I saw such a comment in a thread but I cannot find it. Could be a "deja vu".
    Maybe the feature was never implemented in the first place and might be in a "to be done later" state.

It is not part of the 2018 roadmap and I think survival should be the focus of the remaining half of the year.
    But maybe they can attempt it in 2019?

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't get the feeling tracks were dropped specifically, it was more of a collateral damage victim of a massive restructure in the building engine (along with other construction items). The original editor was a cool experiment where you could use everything but the kitchen sink to build what you wanted, but I think the reality of making all of those things actually work in the physics-heavy Unity environment forced a big step back. Felt like they had to go "back to basics" and start working up block by block to promote stable play - not an unusual tactic by any means.

That makes me hopeful that as things progress, we'll get back some (or all) of those features that were in the editor originally. Tracks would be a huge one for me too! Considering all of the threads lamenting the horrible traction and issues with wheels these days, tracks could really help if done right.

Post Thanks / Like
    I see. These are Schrödinger's caterpillar tracks

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to hear an official response on the topic.

Kickstarter Hologram Nomad Zombie Hugger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any news on these? Caterpillar treads are my favorite form of land transportation in almost every game that lets you build. So much more stable and sturdy.
    Why hug a tree when you can hug a zombie?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaosmaster View Post
    To me, what differentiates this game is the story. Figuring out what the mysteries of the planet is and why everyone disappeared is very alluring. After playing Space Engineers for a long time, I found this game a welcome breath of fresh air. There is something to do besides mining and building. I sincerely hope that they focus development on the campaign. Maybe there could be different story arcs. Maybe you could unlock alien tech if you do certain things or build a ship to escape or start a colony. There is so much potential here.
    Xaosmaster, because you come from Space Engineers...
    Do you know how this was created?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=735597943

I mean is it possible to create caterpillar tracks only with blocks provided by the game?
    Or is it required to use a mod, with some code written by the modder?

Post Thanks / Like
    You can program rotors using the 'Programmable Block' to run code. There are also a lot of tweakable settings on rotors in SE. Overall, rotors are incredibly versatile.

Those must be mod blocks. Pretty sure there are no wheels that big in SE. It is obviously modded to at least remove the block borders/frames as the default blocks are not seamless color like that. It is the ugly version of that mod, too as you can see at 0:22 where the track side plate starts to angle/slope, the blocks don't quite line up right. So, they used the mod version that removes the borders instead of just recoloring them.
    Notice the smoothness of the blocks on my 'Cookie Monster' freight hauler:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.n...E9079A51F4867/

Also, you would have to turn damage off since SE doesn't like contact with the ground like that. It would destroy itself in 2 seconds.

If there was an actual workshop blueprint for this I could test it out and let you know, but all I see is a video.

This vehicle is actually quite ugly compared to what is possible with mods in SE. Maybe it was early in development?

- - - Updated - - -

A more realistic version using stock blocks:

tread.jpg
    Last edited by Xaosmaster; 06-09-2018 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Better Answering the question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Made a few tracked things in Space Engineers, but in every case...block damage has to be turned off, which means they are useless in proper gameplay, SP or online and are just a creative fun thing.

Also....their offroad performance was awful, as the friction between block and voxel terrain was not what the minds eye said it should be. Tred on the tracks does not 'dig in' so actually, they were worse than wheels in actual use. Most demos get done on Mars, where gravity is lower and slopes are smoother. Plus there is no vegetation to get in the way or chunky rocks.

As far as Planet Nomads goes....I reckon having tracks working in game in any shape or form would be quite a big draw. It got my attention in the demos and early publicity shots...and I was so disapponted when it never made it to proper release.

Kickstarter Builder Nomad Azirahael's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Naw, that land kuzer is vanilla. It's a mix of large grid and small grid blocks.
    That's how they got the varied-sized wheels and track cleats.

but yeah, tracks with low speed, but massive traction would be great. Finally, vehicles that can climb hills...