Thread: Autosave on death

Post Thanks / Like

Autosave on death

In survival mode, it seems that on both of my computers the game always overwrites the existing autosave, regardless of how old it is, with a save of my death, so if you forget about saving for a while, it can set you back quite a bit. Is this intentional?

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty sure it is. I always double-save just in case something really goofy happens, such as last night where I exited a stasis pod in a facility of mine only to see a spinning red screen and the sitting end of a giant alpha godillo that auto-killed me inside the building.

Reloaded my backup save, saved over the auto save, stayed in the pod until my unwelcome guest moved, hopped out of the pod, darted out the door, then turned around and melted it down with my multi-tool while it stayed trapped in the corner. Then took a vehicle, ran over all the rest of them, smashed their nest and drilled a hole where the nest was.

Really hate godillos.

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our original intention was survival to be kind of non-forgetting hardcore mode. That meant no save scumming. Saving (in survival) was only for purpose you need to quit playing and continue later. There was no regular user-triggered save possibility in survival, just "autosave" when you quit the game. And also when you die, to prevent force-quitting the game and reloading old save in case of dying.

Just by the way, we haven't considered dying as a game over (which might be strange for a survival game). Dying just teleports you to last drop pod or selected stasis chamber. The world and all your creations persist. In fact we were afraid that people will use dying as a cheap way to teleport themselves. That is why we added at least a small obstacle - emptying your inventory and moving it to the container in place where you died.

That was our original idea. But game is not ready to this yet. There are many bugs (we did not have so much marketing strength to sell them as an extraterrestrial anomailes ) that frustrated players and they literally forced us to add classical save feature into the survival as well. Autosaving stays untouched.

Originally it was planned just until we fix the bugs. It is a shame, that they are not all fixed yet. Now it seems that those hard-core intentions diminished. Somewhen last month I decided to remove the autosave after death, and while I was in process of modifying saving code, I tried to modify it little bit more, to use same saving workflows for creative and survival. That would simplify code a bit and mainly allow autosaving in creative. However it turned out to be more complicated, and it introduced some bugs. Then bigger issues emerged and reworking the saving workflow is now frozen for a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsustek View Post
    Our original intention was survival to be kind of non-forgetting hardcore mode. That meant no save scumming. Saving (in survival) was only for purpose you need to quit playing and continue later. There was no regular user-triggered save possibility in survival, just "autosave" when you quit the game. And also when you die, to prevent force-quitting the game and reloading old save in case of dying.

Just by the way, we haven't considered dying as a game over (which might be strange for a survival game). Dying just teleports you to last drop pod or selected stasis chamber. The world and all your creations persist. In fact we were afraid that people will use dying as a cheap way to teleport themselves. That is why we added at least a small obstacle - emptying your inventory and moving it to the container in place where you died.

That was our original idea. But game is not ready to this yet. There are many bugs (we did not have so much marketing strength to sell them as an extraterrestrial anomailes ) that frustrated players and they literally forced us to add classical save feature into the survival as well. Autosaving stays untouched.

Originally it was planned just until we fix the bugs. It is a shame, that they are not all fixed yet. Now it seems that those hard-core intentions diminished. Somewhen last month I decided to remove the autosave after death, and while I was in process of modifying saving code, I tried to modify it little bit more, to use same saving workflows for creative and survival. That would simplify code a bit and mainly allow autosaving in creative. However it turned out to be more complicated, and it introduced some bugs. Then bigger issues emerged and reworking the saving workflow is now frozen for a while.
    I can see an appeal to both. Some people LIKE the hardcore approach, others do not. Having it as an option would be the best balance of the two play styles. Been killed a few times in ways and by things that should not have been - crushed by vehicles by simply exiting them (uneven terrain, exited slightly below the vehicle) and countless godillos clipping through walls, or my favorite ever: a single godillo walks under a mobile base weighing 200k+ and flips it, causing a fatal fall off a cliff. Space deer ground stomps while hovering run a close second.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsustek View Post
    ... However it turned out to be more complicated, and it introduced some bugs. Then bigger issues emerged and reworking the saving workflow is now frozen for a while.
    If you have a todo list, please add to the ticket a link to this issue:
    https://forum.planet-nomads.com/thre...-current-world