Thread: [Low Priority] Wheel physics are broken.

Post Thanks / Like

[Low Priority] Wheel physics are broken.

Game Version: 0.9.0.3, 0.9.0.4 & 0.9.1.0
    Simple Description: Wheel physics are broken
    Detailed Description:
    When wheels are not vertical they cause strange issues for vehicles. for example I have a hover craft made to mow down creatures. Originally I had wanted to put wheels horizontally that would draw the creatures in and then mash them. when the wheels are placed you can become airborne if the vehicle is wheeled or start rotating if it is hover.

I have also tried to make an elevator using wheels to pull a simple light platform vertically and the wheels cant do any thing it seems like if the physical force is not straight down the wheels dont work right.
    Reproducibility: Every time
    How to Reproduce: set music to 0 and then restart the game after applying.

Post Thanks / Like
    believe it or not that is how the wheels work. they dont actually move the vehicle but update its position in the world. the turning is just an animation. the arrows on the wheels tell the game what direction to move. this has been used for early flight before air blades. i have used it for autonomous drones here(im pretty sure i explained it wrong)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkwLNXngUAM

and i have made a working(but needs improvement) hover pad elevator
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq-s0Ajc5lQ
    which i built during a livestream

Post Thanks / Like
    well that just stinks I was hoping to make a space elevator using a pipe and the wheels to go up. oh well. the other side that just makes my meat grinder a pain. I was hoping to to have to use vertical wells but oh well.

Post Thanks / Like
    the space elevator will only go up so high as there is a limit to how high you can build. you can probably go up 200m but thats about it. and if you build things too big they can have a ghost problem and make it unusable(this will change soon)
    i had that ghost problem with both my aircraft carrier and my helicarrier. when the game is updated to the new unity this shouldnt be a problem anymore. i also have some ideas to help with stuff like this that i would like to chat with the devs about

Post Thanks / Like
    is that why the flyers cant get over mountains?

Post Thanks / Like
    yes the flight ceiling is the same as building. its either a unity thing or for performance