Thread: The bug of the mining machine and the displacement of models (textures) of game objects [0.9.0.4]

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation [HIGH PRIORITY] The bug of the mining machine and the displacement of models of game objects

Game Version: 0.9.0.4

Simple Description: The mining machine discards the resources that have been withdrawn for extraction and extracts resources which are not on the list. There is also a bug with a shift of the models (textures). If I write about them separately, then you will not open the save file!

Detailed Description and Reproducibility:

I apologize for my English as I used machine translation.

The most important thing that I wanted to write in this thread is to describe a bug with the cancellation of mining resources for a mining machine. But I'm (not) lucky to catch another bug that I do not even know how to describe. Best of all, this bug can be described as "the physical model of the object is below its graphic model". Since this bug is more strange and incomprehensible, I'll start with it.

In general, I built a mining base with a foundation placed on supports (many cubic armor blocks 4x4xN). Having discovered a bug with a mining machine, I saved the game under the base (the height of the base allows it to be quietly there in full growth), where I could initially safely get to. When I tried to load the save, I was immediately killed!
    Attention! If you try to download this save in the game and you will be killed, get back in the last available stasis camera!
    Now I can not go under the foundation, because I was blocked off the way by the displaced game objects. This happens periodically.

Now go to the bug of mining machines.

The essence of the bug lies in the fact that the resources canceled for extraction are often canceled, and if you leave the base for some long distance (I flew more than 2 km), the inventory of the mining machine (which I can not fill by myself - it's forbidden) is filled in resources that are not on the extraction list. For example, in the inventory of a machine that extracts 50% of uranium and 50% of gold, other metals such as iron, carbon, cobalt, zeonite and so on may unexpectedly appear.

Screenshot_MM_Bug2.jpg

I do not know the true reason for this bug to appear. But most often, in my opinion, this bug is manifested when the character is removed from the mining machine for a long distance or when recounting the resources extracted by the mining machine.

I attached below the image with my base, on which I signed, which machine does what resource it extracts. But here some (or all) mining machines along with the physical model have shifted also the model of interaction. It will be necessary to look, where the button for opening the inventory of the mining machine will be available. And to those four mining machines that are under the base, I do not know how to get close now.

Screenshot_MM_Bug.jpg

Files:
    Here is the archive with the save, log, system info files and the screenshots in full resolution: SaveGameFile_MiningMachinesBug.zip
    Last edited by ILuJkee; 28-07-2018 at 07:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    i can verify that the mining rigs grab things they shouldn't my xanite rig is 100% but when i come back theres a smatering of all the other ores in there. I have to test the long range pipe lines to see if that will affect things or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    This seems to be quite interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, what the OP is reporting has been going on for quite a long time. It is especially an issue with veins that think they are 50/50 only (or 100%) of certain ores. There is no ability to blacklist any other ore because the miner thinks there is only one or two ores capable of being extracted. All the other ores make their way in by being leaked through. The result is that your extractor and any associated containers they feed are filled with a lot of ore that you didn't want/need. The answer to this problem may be that we need a list of all ores on each miner where the unwanted ores can be specifically blacklisted.

Also, leaving a mining site (outside of render range or greater) and returning does indicate that mines are not 100% working while you are away. I've seen cases where you can be gone for many hours, return and find that the extractor (connected to a large container) has pulled very little ore instead of filling up the entire large container as it should. There are still some bugs to be addressed with these extractors.

Post Thanks / Like
    OG I haven't seen the miners not run wile out of range, I also have about 10 miners in one location so it may be a matter of quantity forcing the mining ticker to properly run.

As for the wrong ores the system should do a check and [ if uranium =0 set mining icon to disabled & lock] type check so the mining code gets the notice not to mine this material. the check would force use of the don't mine this ore code if that ore is not supposed to exist at the location. that would probably be the simpelest way of handeling that problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    alot of calculations in PN are done to the 12th or 15th decimal place. so it could be a 100% Xaenite vien could actually be 99.999999912% Xaenite and 0.000000088% Silicon but due to rounding and proper GUI display the game could be rounding the numbers to the whole which would show only 100% xaenite but would still have a very slight chance of silicon. an adjustment to the RNG could solve that. as far as miners not working it could be part of blocks not animating outside 100m and be drawn but not operating. as much as i enjoy shorter lag spikes returning to my base it can be an inconvenience having to camp out at the mines for a few days to fill containers

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps then it is worthwhile to make sure that the mining machine does not extract resources, whose extraction probability is less than 0.5%? Why is it impossible for a mining machine to round to the nearest integer (1%, 2%, 3%, ...)?
    Simply if the player really needs it, then in order to get the silicon near the pole, he will look for a place without a vein with a extraction chance of 2-3%.

It turns out that the game misleads the player when the mining machine does not show the player all the resources that it actually extracts at the moment.

And this does not solve the problem of resetting the selected resources that were canceled for mining in a mining machine.
    Last edited by ILuJkee; 29-07-2018 at 05:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I completely agree since it is not in the ui to disable it should not be appearing. hence the suggestion for using the mining disabled ore selection code to keep it from doing wierd things.

BCP It causes a bunch of issues they should use rounding or cliping at the decemal on more things. the power status is another that is bad with that. 4+ decemal places keeping one from reading the /8000 or what ever the machine produces

Post Thanks / Like
    The problem with the auto-miners is much greater than 1% or less, so I don't think it is related to a decimal point calculation.

Here's an Auto-miner that is reporting a 50/50 yield of Uranium and Titanium. Note that no other ores are part of the yield. Even the Auto-miner's local inventory shows the problem of not producing a clean 50/50 mix of just the two ores.
    Auto-miner-50-50-yield.jpg

Here's a large container connected to the output of the Auto-miner. This container was untouched for days while I was back at the main base building large aircraft. It had plenty of time to have filled several times over. But look at the low amount of ore in it and the mix which was all over the place.
    Large-container-not-filling-properly.jpg

I created this mine in version 0.9.0.4, so I'm not sure yet if 0.9.1.0 would have solved this problem. I can also say that the inconsistent yield problem has been around for a long time and I've reported it before in the Steam Bugs subforum of PN. So, it has been around awhile.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it really depends on the decimal percentage of the extraction of those resources that are not displayed in the extraction list of the mining machine.

I will give an example.
    If you build a mining machine in a forest biome and it shows you 50/50 of iron and carbon, and you cancel the carbon, and again fail, then the inventory of the mining machine will be filled only with iron, carbon and silicon. And there will not be such resources as aluminum, titanium, xaenite and so on.
    If you build a mining machine in the tundra or the tropical zone, and there will be a similar situation, for example with aluminum and silver, then after failure besides iron, carbon and silicon, there will also be cobalt, aluminum and silver in the inventory of this mining machine. But there will not be uranium, titanium, gold and xaenite.

Why? Because the mining machine extracts those resources that are (available for extraction) in the soil of the biome in which it is installed. This suggests that even such minor decimal percentages affect what will be in the inventory of the mining machine. This need to be fixed.

In general, I agree, there is still a huge problem with filling up the inventory (own and / or attached) of the mining machine during the absence of the player near the extraction site.
    And it's strange! In the thread of the forum of suggestions for the game "Your ideas for making PN better", the respected developer replied to me that the mining machines should work even when the player is away from the mining machine:

Quote Originally Posted by martinsustek View Post
    "... 1. When you leave your base, blocks gets unloaded, but their active components keeps active. That means mining should continue even if you cannot see the base with miner. You just need to make sure that the miner has enough power and storage capacity while you are out. ..."
    But on my base, in fact, an endless source of nuclear energy has been made. When I flew from this base, which I'm talking about in this thread, large containers had at least 75% of free space and uranium generators could work more than 200 hours. But, when I arrived, there was all the garbage instead of what was needed and at the same time in a meager amount.
    Then the algorithm is wrong. This algorithm obviously does not do what is intended. This, too, needs to be corrected.

And, of course, a bug with the reset of the selected resources that the mining machine should not mine must be corrected. It seems to me that it would be better for developers to give players the opportunity not to abolish the extraction of some resources, but, on the contrary, to mark those resources that need to be extracted. But this is not a solution, but rather a wish.
    Last edited by ILuJkee; 31-07-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    had simular expirence and dropt my 2cents about it (probaly got lost in the mass).
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaver View Post

Improvemnt:
    Can you may change the filter so it will always display all ores even the 0%?
    So if it start at 50% / 50% but later the % drops to 30% / 30% / 10% / 1% / 1% I could deselect all those 1% right from the beginning.
    To keep it still easy to see which ore good to mine here (without the need to scroll the windows), you may sort the the ores descending based on thier %.

Post Thanks / Like
    Whether the problem is some errant calculation, algorithm or .0001% really doesn't matter because we have no control over it anyway. We are simply the end users who need a solution to a problem that dates back to last November when I reported it in the Steam/PN/Bug Reports forum. I got no acknowledgement or answer to that thread. We have needed properly working white/black lists for a very long time in this game (for both these miners and for container collection). Why that ongoing issue never gets addressed or even commented upon by the Devs, escapes reason for me.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/50405...2971172064899/

QA Lead (Craneballs)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You for detailed report. We will inspect it...

Cheers,
    David

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have dug into the digger code a little bit and found the probable cause:

When you move out the mining machine or any other active block, code unloads its game object (graphics, colliders etc.) and only a small object that we call daemon remains in scene. This daemon is responsible of actual behaviour of active block, in our case mining.

Some daemons, including miner's, need to know the exact position of the original block. In case of miner also exact rotation (direction) is necessary - an offset is added in "down" direction to calculate correct mining area. And this is where the problem was. Daemon did not store rotation of the game object. When you was near the miner, it mined exactly below as rotation was taken directly from the miner. But when you moved away, miner disappeared and daemon did not know its original rotation so daemon added offset in different direction than exact down and started to mine at a little different position.

This might cause that miner was working on different voxel material and generated materials that you was unable to see or disable in "Potential Resources" - when you returned back to the miner, it mined original resources again. We have added storing of location and that apparently fixed the problem in ILuJkee's case. This update will be a part of the next game release.

However, the "Potential Resources" info is generated from just 64 samples of mining area for performance reasons. And it is sometimes refreshed while you do not look into miner's menu. So it is still possible (but improbable) that miner will sometimes generate a different resource than what is in potential resources menu.

Maybe we should change the logic from "disabling" known resources and storing everything not disabled to "enabling" known resources and discarding anything else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Martin, there is also another thing happening with the Mining Rig when you leave the area and return. I've noticed another problem where I have a Rig where I have manually disabled all the ores that I don't want mined. When I leave the area and return, all ores are enabled again and I have to re-disable them. I tested this several times and it was consistent in the beta-branch Unity 2018 build. Maybe this problem is also associated with what you have found, but thought I should mention it too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe we should change the logic from "disabling" known resources and storing everything not disabled to "enabling" known resources and discarding anything else.
    Yes please, this would be a good way solve the issue withe the 1% random ores.
    +1

Post Thanks / Like
    You can even allow the player to choose the logic of the choice of resources, and to give the opportunity to switch it in the inventory of the mining machine. The main thing in this case is that it must remember the choice of both logic and resources and not abolish them, as it is now.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the idea of an "opt in" method of mining... Having a full checkbox list of all possible ores showing at all times in the mining machine configuration box, with percentages and/or highlighting showing for any ores that are actively detected in the miner's field of operation, would be extremely useful. We just check the boxes of the ores we want to gather, then no matter what happens when we move away, the miner should never begin gathering any materials other than those we "enabled" in the list.

If we have to opt in, we control the materials to gather. If we are assumed to opt in to everything except what we specifically exclude (the method used now), then any changes to the miner's status or environment will have unpredictable consequences - like gathering materials we never intended.