Thread: Put arrows or notices on the hover pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Put arrows or notices on the hover pads.

for some reason every time i try to put hover pads on in linux it puts them wrong side up atleast in survival... creative i had no issues for some reason...

make the underside of the pads glow red instead of blue or something.

Post Thanks / Like
    I keep harping on an original suggestion I put in a long while back - hoverpads and air blades need to have something like a big green arrow pointing in the direction of unstabilized lift/thrust, so we know as we're placing them that everything is oriented correctly (and also know immediately if it snapped them on upside down, a bug that was happening a while back).

Post Thanks / Like
    Air blades already have chevrons along their edges, but I haven't looked at the hoverpads.

Post Thanks / Like
    With hover pads just look at the block inside the ring. The sloped side should be facing down.

Post Thanks / Like
    The chevrons on the air blades are indeed handy, but unfortunately only accurate after you disable stabilization on every blade to be sure they are all pointed the right way. A simple UI arrow indicating unstabilized lift direction to accompany the direction and steering indicators in build vision would immediately show you errors in placement without extra steps needed. Simpler verification, less frustration (particularly for new builders).

Post Thanks / Like
    They're also accurate during initial placement of the air blade.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can see them, yes they are accurate during placement. Usually. The problem is that the ghost image of the blade can be hard to see depending on your surrounding lighting, time of day, etc.

And there have been a few times that everything (including the chevrons) have looked right, and when I clicked to snap the part down it somehow flipped without me ever being informed - the chevrons looked right on the flipped part once it was built, it was only after trying to fly and then shutting off stabilization that it became clear what had happened. The snapping system during building still has its share of... idiosyncrasies I guess would be the polite way to put it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrmithrax View Post
    If you can see them, yes they are accurate during placement. Usually. The problem is that the ghost image of the blade can be hard to see depending on your surrounding lighting, time of day, etc.

And there have been a few times that everything (including the chevrons) have looked right, and when I clicked to snap the part down it somehow flipped without me ever being informed - the chevrons looked right on the flipped part once it was built, it was only after trying to fly and then shutting off stabilization that it became clear what had happened. The snapping system during building still has its share of... idiosyncrasies I guess would be the polite way to put it
    This has been my experience too .... and damned annopying it is too. Worst case of this I had resulted in a hover pad truck that sank like a stone when you switched on the power.....
    The 'shape' clue can be hard to pick up on and the same applies to the chevron on the air blades. The correct orientation either needs to be a LOT clearer in the mesh, or for there to be some form of helper when placing.

A simple 'yellow arrow' such as that on the wheels pointing UP would do it. Visible only in the design view as with the wheels. No issue then. You can swap to build vision and see clearly any rogue fans

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the experiance where in creative it was going on the right way and when i went to survival it was putting them on upside down and I was about to put in a bug report for linux due to that.

It would be nice if the top side of the hovers is the light blue color and the bottom red if they dont want to put on chevrons.