Thread: terrain leveler.

Post Thanks / Like

terrain leveler.

I would like an object that can remove all terrain with in 2 or so squares that could be put on the front of a vehicle to allow for making a roadway also later on for making a tunnel through mountains. It would be nice for base areas to so that we can have nice flat lands rather than have to tap the multi tool to remove bumps above our foundations.

pnumatics would also be nice allowing for mobile convayers and other objects.

Post Thanks / Like
    When it comes to terrain-sculpting, few games do a really good job of it. I don't know if it's because it's simply difficult to do, or if no one every really thinks about putting the dirt back/piling it up/leveling it out or what the underlying issue ultimately is. Empyrion has a so-so method of filling in holes and is also Unity based, so it's certainly within the capability of the engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Subnautica can also "put back" terrain, but the result was a little... janky the last time I saw it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the game engine has an issue with adding to the voxel ground. Potential issues would include...where the player was, player built structures, other moving entities... all things that would give the game engine a hissy fit. Imagine the fun of encasing your rover wheel in the ground, or trapping a creature 'underground' where teh ground is actually just a skin, not a solid. Same for structures. If they stop being in contact with the voxel layer....what happens?

Lots of things to worry about, and lots of conditions to meet....and I suspect that's why games like this never seem to offer that option: Space Engineers.....Planet Nomads....

Or use clumsy workarounds that don't look good.....

Personally...I would love to see it possible to fill in holes. Especially the ones you make in error with the multi-tool....usually right next to your base.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flakmagnet1701 View Post
    I think the game engine has an issue with adding to the voxel ground. Potential issues would include...where the player was, player built structures, other moving entities... all things that would give the game engine a hissy fit. Imagine the fun of encasing your rover wheel in the ground, or trapping a creature 'underground' where teh ground is actually just a skin, not a solid. Same for structures. If they stop being in contact with the voxel layer....what happens?

Lots of things to worry about, and lots of conditions to meet....and I suspect that's why games like this never seem to offer that option: Space Engineers.....Planet Nomads....

Or use clumsy workarounds that don't look good.....

Personally...I would love to see it possible to fill in holes. Especially the ones you make in error with the multi-tool....usually right next to your base.....
    Can you get an ďamenĒ? Yep, here it is. Iíve abandoned so many sites due to unwanted accident holes. Of course some of the points you raised, while valid are also things that can be addressed. Critter in a hole? If the ground is raised to fill, then the critter is raised out of the hole. Vehicle wheel in the way? You canít place dirt there beyond the contact point of the wheel. Base? Canít bury it, as you canít add dirt above the bottom of the foundation - those sorts of things.

Post Thanks / Like
    I assumed that the game used the seed to generate terrain. So you get the same terrain each time. Then, the game applies damage you've done to the terrain.

So- the game needs to save one of two things: the ENTIRE map, every single voxel. Or, more likely, just the damage you've done to the map.

So, if you make roads, it would probably bloat your save file. A lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    You've hit the crux of the issue, @Teh Smoo. The seed defines the base geometry of the planet, but every bit of damage done (and, subsequently, repair work done to that damage) has to be tracked. The more items you build and the more damage you do the the world, the bigger your save file appears to be. I tried that out as a test, just to see - took a normal world, then ran around digging holes, trenches, etc. and watched how the world's save file size grew. It wasn't a ton, but it accumulates pretty quickly.

I'd be up for more of an "oops" function with the multi-tool, that restores a set area to seed default status, and wipes the changes from the save file. So it is like you never accidentally blew a hole in the ground.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrmithrax View Post
    You've hit the crux of the issue, @Teh Smoo. The seed defines the base geometry of the planet, but every bit of damage done (and, subsequently, repair work done to that damage) has to be tracked. The more items you build and the more damage you do the the world, the bigger your save file appears to be. I tried that out as a test, just to see - took a normal world, then ran around digging holes, trenches, etc. and watched how the world's save file size grew. It wasn't a ton, but it accumulates pretty quickly.

I'd be up for more of an "oops" function with the multi-tool, that restores a set area to seed default status, and wipes the changes from the save file. So it is like you never accidentally blew a hole in the ground.
    Yeah, a restore function to the mining beam? It would have to work on dirt only, for obvious reasons. Repeatedly mining the same bit would be too easy, and people might feel obligated to do something that obnoxious.

Post Thanks / Like
    meh once i make a base i put down a landing pad where i build all my vehicles. no holes or stuck vehicles

Post Thanks / Like
    I tend towards not building bases any more. I just build sites - mining sites for resources, deuterium processing centers all with minimal equipment. My base is mobile and I just fly site to site to collect what I need.

Thing is, by the time I reach this stage... I donít really need much any more. Greenhouses supply all my food, I have enough uranium to wage war with the universe, and thereís not much else to really do, except make trebuchets to hurl orbs into the ocean.