Thread: The Decision to Rollback to 9.0.4

Post Thanks / Like

The Decision to Rollback to 9.0.4

I must say that I was disappointed in Craneballs' decision to rollback to 9.0.4!

The new Unity solved the most severe bugs I was experiencing in two worlds that I had spent 500+ hours developing. I had stopped playing in those two worlds because of bugs that had essentially broken those worlds.

I was excited when the new Unity fixed those problems and I was able to continue playing in those worlds. The new Unity also felt more reliable and solid and although I didn't have time to confirm it, seemed to also solve some of the smaller bugs I was experiencing in all my worlds.

I understand that some players experienced a significant bug with invisible inventories/menus, but other than that I didn't see many reports of bugs introduced by the new Unity. I had no problems with such bugs and I'm confident that the majority of players didn't either.

Craneballs' decision to rollback to the old Unity, along with the statement that they might "stick with an old version of Unity forever" feels like an over-reaction.

Certainly I don't know how much effort was put into resolving the invisible inventories/menus problem over the weekend, but it seems to be that if they could have fixed the significant problems with the old Unity, they would have done so already. Surely fixing the invisible inventories/menus in the new Unity would be less effort than trying to fix the apparently unfixable problems in the old Unity?

At a minimum, perhaps they could open up a Steam Beta branch with the new Unity build for those of us who don't have the invisible inventories/menus problem?

At any rate, I sincerely hope that Craneballs doesn't abandon the new Unity... if they make the decision to stick with the old Unity forever then Planet Nomads has limited continued playability for me.

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Harrison's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I very hope, they are fix these bugs for 0.9.1 version.

Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    We want to use Unity 2018 and other newer releases very badly, as the physics bugs seems unresolvable for us in old Unity 5.4 and no one could want Unity Technologies to fix/update those old releases. We could report bugs in latest Unity versions and there is a change they will fix them. Also we believe that the new Unity will bring better tools for optimizing performance.

The 0.9.1.0 was build using Unity 2018.1.7f1, where we discovered bugs like non working cursor locking and duplicating letters on Linux. In belief that newer Unity 2018.2.0f2 will fix them we've build 0.9.1.1 in it but it even introduced more bugs, mainly the one with textures we consider very serious. We found out that textures get corrupted when you change the texture quality in options, so we tried to build a version with this setting removed, but even then GUI was not working well. And we could not be sure, that it will work on all machines - we have reports that GUI gets ugly even on default settings.

Also on Linux this version had bad input lag. You may say, that Linux players are in minority and we could release the game with this bug, but we consider this bug also a no-go.

We believe that this rollback is a temporary solution until Unity fixes the bugs. The linux input bug is already reported and I am currently trying to find a workaround for textures problem. As we haven't found this bug reported yet, I am also trying to reproduce it in an new project to be able to send bug report by myself. It's hard because it does not happen in empty project, and also not in editor, just in final build.

In the meantime my colleagues are working on blueprint system and some rewards for kickstarter backers. If we couldn't fix Unity 2018 bugs soon, we could release it also in 5.4 version when it will be ready. We've already converted our development branch to Unity 2018, but it's still possible to prepare a few releases in old Unity. We are also working on next part of story and this is not dependent on version of Unity, so working on game development continues, maybe there will just not be updates for few weeks, as it's more complicated to create a release now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do the textures get corrupted permanently in the resource files or is this just another reason to always wipe all shader cache folders after an update?

So far the only problem I have encountered with the new Unity has been that the battery boxes are now pointing to an opposite side than previously.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsustek View Post
    ... In the meantime my colleagues are working on blueprint system ...
    I hope we get an exceptionally good blueprint system as mentioned here

Quote Originally Posted by Craneballs
    We're working for you to be able to spawn blueprints of your creations right inside the game. In a similar fashion, if possible, we will also like to enable you to build repeating parts of your builds with ease. And finally share these via Steam Workshop.
    The way how I understand it is that I will be able to build a train: when I build each carriage, I want to be able to attach it to the previous one.

Quote Originally Posted by martinsustek View Post
    [...]
    It is more an user interface question - how should be player supposed to point with big grid (or connected grids) in hand on another grid and tell exactly which block from the new (not yet existing) grid should fit on which one in the grid in the scene. You know how difficult is to put 8x5x3 block precisely, and imagine yourself doing it with 20x30x50 size blueprint by means we have now in game. This is the thing we should solve now.
    For sure, the thing was solved by now, in the last 5 months (from 21.02 to 21.07).
    Right?
    Please say yes, as we need some positive news too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Roll back was a real shame.

Always seems like a failure when you have to take a big backward step.

It is good, though, that work is being done on the blueprint system. Being able to share builds and designs through the workshop on steam is a big draw for people, and would help stimulate interest. Which this game really needs.

Planet Nomads needs to move forward in terms of features and content. If that process stops for too long, it moves away from an active game played by lots of people, and becomes just another thing in the steam game list. Trouble is...the game is simply NOT moving at all for most of us.

Perhaps...now is the time to address some of the balancing and gameplay issues people have raised? Or make us those early game small floater blocks and a simple propellor. Put some fish in the sea. Things that do not require a full game rebuild, but might cheer us up a bit.

Stuff to keep the masses from spamming the Steam forums with notices of Craneballs demise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

is the temporary roll-back the reason why GOG does not even list die 0.9.1 release since it was announced in the forum? The last Linux version on GOG is still 0.9.0.4.

Cheers
    Alrik

Kickstarter Wreck Nomad Harrison's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Devs still working on the 0.9.1 version (because it contains many bugs) You can play in this version, but only via steam, because this version aviable only on the beta branch.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope they can get 0.9.1 sorted soon. It did have bugs... ( UI especially ) but it also fixed a lot of bugs that were bugging me...so it was a step forward in many respects. I also think ht elater version of the Unity engine had a lot more possibilities and that a lot of the issues can be solved with code revisions

Post Thanks / Like
    Been playing on the U2018 branch for a couple days so far, only noticed a few minor things and a suspected memory leak that throws a pretty hefty slow down. I’m sure they’ll get back to an updated base at some point, just need time to address the known issues.